Having a nightmare with my front der- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Having a nightmare with my front der

Hey all, just replaced my front shifter as my X5 finally broke, put a new cable in, lubed it up, followed the tutorials on YouTube, but I just can't seem to get it working right. It's shifting directly from the small ring, missing out the middle ring and going straight to the big ring. If you then click the shifter again it just knocks the chain off. I've tried all sorts, setting the high low limits, using the barrel adjuster, spent hours fiddling with it all today but nothing works.
    Took it to my lbs about 20 mins ago, he tightened up the barrel adjuster, that didn't work so he said the shifter must be broken and gave up.
    I'm sure it's not broken at all.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    before doing anything look at the cable connection to the FD lever arm. 99% of connections are made to the far side of the pinch bolt. If you have the cable inside the pinch bolt, it effectively shortens the arm and increases FD movement relative to cable movement causing it to move too far for each click.

If that isn't the issue, start fresh. Disconnect the cable and shift the lever while holding tension on the wire to see if the cable moves a discrete amount with each click. If so the lever is fine. Return the lever to the slack (inner) position. Set the limits while shifting the RD manually (no cable). You may have to fine tune later, but this gets them roughly on target. Attach the wire, pulling out all the slack, but not overly tensioning the wire. Shift to the middle position and use the barrel adjuster to position then cage correctly on the middle ring. Now shift to high and it should be OK.

You now have it roughly adjusted, use the limits to fine tune the trim for the inner and outer position and the barrel adjuster for the middle ring, and balanced shifting in both directions.

BTW- if it was the connection, or you now get it working, it means that the mechanic who worked on it is either ignorant or arrogant, (or both) and I suggest you find a different shop for service.

In the future, if you can't get the bike working, don't eat heavy or spicy meals before going to bed.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Lol, the bike mechanic was ignorant for sure. Given up in it for today, will try your advice tomorrow one I've slept off my night shift.
    Thanks for the help it's much appreciated, I didn't know you could use the barrel adjuster for the middle ring. Also my high low limit screws don't really seem to do anything, i think I'll remove, clean and lube it before trying again

mtbr member
    So to be clear, you replaced an X5 shifter, but the front derailleur is still the same?

Did you replace your X5 shifter with another X5 or something else?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    yes, the front derailliure is still the same, its a shimano one, came with the bike, as did the X5 shifter.

I have replaced both front shifters with a pair of Sram X9 shifters.

mtbr member
    OK, I was thinking actuation compatibility issue, but apparently it's the same for SRAM and Shimano on the front derailleur, so scratch that.

I think FBinNY's idea is probably right. Cable is probably just connected at the wrong place.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Ok, the cable appears to be connected in the right place, but I think the problem lies somewhere else because as soon as I put any load in the cable everything becomes extremely stiff and the shift arm is hard to push.
    Is it possible that the cable itself is too thick? I can't seem to find any info of cable widths but it doesn't seem like the cable is running freely

mtbr member
    Can you post a photo or two of where the cable connects to the derailleur? There are so many different front derailleur setups: top mount top pull, top mount bottom pull, bottom mount top pull, bottom mount bottom pull. It might help to see the mechanics of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Here are the pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Having a nightmare with my front der-photo.jpg  

Having a nightmare with my front der-photo-1.jpg  

Having a nightmare with my front der-photo-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    That looks like an M531 top mount derailleur to me. Correct me if I'm wrong. Check out the doc:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830648341.pdf

It shows the cable going on the other side of the bolt. Not sure how much difference that will make, but it could be your issue.

mtbr member
    Also, if I'm wrong about the model, if it's something like this M511, you have to route the cable a different way for top pull:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830612824.pdf

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    That looks like the cable is mounted on the wrong side of the pinch bolt to me. I think the cable is routed correctly just on the wrong side of the pinch bolt, this would explain the stiffness and the overshift of the FD as the pinch bolt is v close to the pivot - significant angle change as previously mentioned

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Ok, I'll give the cable going through the other way a try. I've just spent ages lubing everything, got the gears to shift but it's still stiff as hell so maybe that's the problem, I'm sure it was this way round though when I started

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Put it on the small ring and remove the cable.
    Shift to the big rear cog.
    Adjust the inner limit screw. The ILS controls the positioning for the small ring - the cable may be slack.
    Run the barrel adjuster all the way in, then out two turns.
    Make sure shifter is on low.
    Pull cable taut but not tight and attach it to other side.
    Shift to middle ring and use BA to adjust postition - checking for rub when on big and small rear cog.
    Shift to big ring and adjust outer limit screw so it can't over-shoot the ring.

The cable needs to move freely in the housing. It's not as critical for the front der as the rear der since the front has a much stronger spring.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Well guys, thanks for the lesson, who knew that I could spend hours and hours trying to fix a problem and in the end it took 5 minutes to swap the cable around in the pinch bolt.

You lot are great, thanks so much for the help, it's been a learning experience!!!

mtbr member
    Sweet. Glad to hear confirmation that was the problem. Should make it easier to diagnose future problems other people may have with this issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Funny that the lbs mechanic didn't spot that, won't be going there again, he was totally crap and lazy

mtbr member
    Yeah, that just sounds like laziness. Even if someone doesn't know something right off the bat, it takes all of 30 seconds to look up the Shimano tech docs.