GX Return Spring- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

GX Return Spring

Has anyone had their GX return spring lose tension? This weekend I noticed my Trek would not drop into the highest (11T) gear. I thought maybe I had struck something and either bent the hanger or tension arm.

When I got home and cleaned everything up, everything was straight and the bike was shifting smoothly. The limiter screws are set properly as well.

Then I noticed I could downshift all the way but the derailleur wouldn't shift all the way "out". If I grab it by hand and give it a gentle pull, it moves another ~1/4" and and the chain drops down onto the 11T nice and smooth.

At this point I am just assuming the return spring has lost tension over time?

I have a new GX derailleur in my cart on Amazon, but wanted to make sure I am not overlooking something simpler or a cheap fix. It's several years old, so I have gotten good use out of it and won't be upset if it simply needs replacing.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    You loosened the cable bolt to make sure it's not just a cable, right?
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Yep
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

ultra member
    I see this issue fairly often in the shop I work at. Most of the time the issue can be fixed by thoroughly cleaning the derailleur and lubricating all of the pivots. Sometimes built up grease in the spring can even prevent the spring from contracting all the way. If that doesn't work, sometimes a bent rear derailleur hangar can be the culprit. I have spent 30 minutes trying to figure out this exact issue, only for it to be caused by a bent hangar. Even with the limit screws properly adjusted, a bent hangar can still prevent shifting into the smallest cog. Triple check to make sure the cage is straight as well. Small bends can make a big difference. Sometimes it is a worn out spring, but most of the time it can be fixed by the methods outlined above.
    Somersaults... that's how I roll.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    You loosened the cable bolt to make sure it's not just a cable, right?
    I'm subscribing to this suggested easy task to quickly isolate your problem.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    Has anyone had their GX return spring lose tension?

At this point I am just assuming the return spring has lost tension over time?
    a buddy of mine @ work has the same issue with his gx derailleur.

the spring does very little when there is minimal tension on it while on the 11t.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Aby N View Post
    a buddy of mine @ work has the same issue with his gx derailleur.

the spring does very little when there is minimal tension on it while on the 11t.
    When it's in the highest gear or smallest cog, why does it need any tension? It has arrived.

My XX1 has essentially minimal tension when on the 10t, but has no problem shifting to there and remains there until shifted lower.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    When it's in the highest gear or smallest cog, why does it need any tension? It has arrived.
    because it needs some help/assistance to come 100% home = rest against the limit screw.

when it chooses not to find top gear, you see a slight gap between the derailleur & limit screw. then you squeeze the D home, then it goes to top gear. the spring itself feels almost relaxed @ that point.

this is observed on the bike stand.

honestly, i feel a little part of the problem is the shifter/cable too. possibly just offering a little resistance, thus preventing the derailleur to come home... the shifter is gx model as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    That's the issue though, the spring doesn't have enough tension to settle home into the smallest cog.

Magically Delicious
    Ok, for clarification... for many, the 11t is the smallest gear. For others, the 10t is. So I guess we need clarification to determine if the 11t is your smallest gear or is the 11t the second from smallest gear and the 10t is the smallest.

If the 11t is second smallest gear and it still needs to find the 10t, then I agree.

My assumption was that given the reference, that the 11t was the smallest.

mtbr member
    11-50 cassette. It is not dropping onto the 11T.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    10 and 11 sprocket are in the same location so that doesn't matter.
    First clean and lube the pivots and spring.
    Second completely disconnect the cable and make sure that derailleur can move all the way to the small sprocket. Remove the chain if necessary.

Hanger could be bent and shifted towards the bike preventing the derailleur moving far enough out. Make sure the hanger is installed and positioned correctly.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

Magically Delicious
    Given all of the random thoughts and comments, I would start with the simple and easy stuff first.

Disconnect shifter cable and determine if derailleur will self-position to correct outboard (small sprocket) position. I want to see the center of upper jockey wheel align with the outboard side of the smallest cog. If so, then...

Check for hanger alignment.

mtbr member
    First post said the hanger has been checked. 2nd post asked if the cable had been loosened, 3rd post verified that had been done.

Magically Delicious
    Ok, then go enjoy a hand crafted double IPA and call it a day.

mtbr member
    Right after I install the new RD.