Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

GX Eagle Cassette won't fully mount to driver body

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  92gli 
#1 ·
Building a bike from scratch, I ran into a problem while attaching the GX Eagle Cassette to the XD Driver on my Crest MK3 Wheel.

Both parts are brand new.

I do notice that the Hub has a one small tooth, while the cassette does not have one. From what I've heard, this is normal? The splines line up, and it threads on a bit tight but nothing unlike what I've heard about cassettes using XD Drivers.

After tightening it a reasonable amount, mounting the wheel, and setting up the shifting, on the smallest gear the chain seems to rub on the next gear up and the frame(2018 Specialized Chisel). I can see a small gap (2-3 mm) between the base of the splines and the back of the cassette. Will see if I can get a decent photo of it.

I actually work at a local bike shop and asked my coworkers, none of them could figure it out. I figured I'd ask here before calling SRAM about it. None of my google searches brought up anything relevant but it's possible I've missed something.

Any ideas?

#3 ·
Yes. There is no corresponding narrow/wide spline on the cassette so its orientation doesn't matter. In my experience, there's a lot of fiction tightening the XD Driver cassettes. The torque spec is the same as for the usual Sram/Shimano freehubs, 40Nm. Perhaps you just need to tighten it more? I dribble some lube between the cassette and it's locking ring and ensure the threads and mating other mating surfaces have some grease on them. Sram recommends anti-seize.

#6 ·
Well, I don't have a torque wrench at home, but I found a big wrench and cranked it down a bit more. got roughly a 1/4-1/2 of a turn out of it and it no longer rubs. Clearance is still a little tighter than I would've like to see but it works. D'oh. Sorry for the noob post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.