mtbr member
    Jul 2015

groupset advice - starting from scratch

Hey folks, need some advice. Building a Lynskey Pro 29, and don't have any groupset parts yet (including no brakes yet). General XC riding and trails/woods but not racing and no plans to anytime soon.

Having a helluva time deciding what to do.

1x11, 2x11, 2x10?

I have a wheelset picked with a standard freehub rear driver, so no XD cassette recommendations please.

I have always liked Shimano, so I was looking at m785, m8000, and m985. m9000 is way over my budget.

Thoughts? Is it dumb to go 10 speed now that 11 speed seems to be more "future proof" for replacement parts down the road? Is it "savvy" to cobble together a groupset in pieces, even if I need brakes too? I have been eyeing some of the groupset deals from Merlin, and they appear very competitive.

Thanks in advance for your input!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'd go XT M8000 in 1x or 2x depending on your riding style. If you're trying to stay cheap M785 still works really darn well and can be had for very affordable prices.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    If you are building a Lynskey I'm going to assume you are not a newb. Use a gear calculator like BikeCalc.com - Bicycle Gear Inches Chart and compare the gears you use now to the options you have. This way you can pick the right size front ring and cassettte. If you think you need 2X it will help calculate this as well. Personally I will never use another front derailleur on a mountain bike ever again but maybe you will. Math will tell you the truth.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This is solid advice, figure out what gears you use. I too am in the "never again" on front derailleurs camp, but know some people who still prefer and utilize them. It is worth considering your riding style and terrain, don't jump to 1x "just because."

If you find out that you are in the 1x camp, see this thread in the where are the deals subforum. It looks like a $200-ish Shimano 1x11 set up from Crosslake Sales. I spent more than that on my SRAM cassette last year at this time (and have already spent $100 to replace the 42t cog).

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    If you are building a Lynskey I'm going to assume you are not a newb. Use a gear calculator like BikeCalc.com - Bicycle Gear Inches Chart and compare the gears you use now to the options you have. This way you can pick the right size front ring and cassettte. If you think you need 2X it will help calculate this as well. Personally I will never use another front derailleur on a mountain bike ever again but maybe you will. Math will tell you the truth.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Let's say $650 (ish) max budget, including full groupset and brakes.

Looks like I can get complete m985 XTR, 2x10, including crank, brakes, everything, around that max number.

Or full m8000 well under that number.

Or a hodge podge, from reading opinions and reviews, something like m8000 1x almost everything but Zee brakes and m9000 shifter.

Anything I build will be a major improvement, my last (and only, until I complete this build) mountain bike is a Cannondale from the early 90s with v brakes and Deore LX.

Is m985 > m8000? Or not really.

What to do, what to do...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    M9000 shifter + M8000 Rear D + M8000 cranks + M8000 brakes would be my vote. Light, stiff, relatively cheap.

10 speed is perfectly ok, but why not go 11 speed provided the opportunity.

mtbr member
    ^^That's close to what I'd do if I was starting from scratch...but I'd drop the extra cash to get the XTR rear derailleur...just because XTR.

Shifter: 11sp XTR
    Rear derailleur: 11sp XTR
    Crank: One that would allow for a direct mount ring.
    Cassette: 11sp XT
    Chain: KMC
    Brakes: M8000

mtbr member
    Careful when ordering from the UK sites. You will most likely see a customs/duty charge if you go over $200, which it looks like you are planning to do.
    Intense Spider29 / Motobecane FlyTi29

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by elcaro1101 View Post
    Careful when ordering from the UK sites. You will most likely see a customs/duty charge if you go over $200, which it looks like you are planning to do.
    Good to know, thanks. Do you get the same when ordering from the German sites?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    1x11 M8000, best bang for your buck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pa mtn biker View Post
    I've only had to pay duty charges from chain Reaction Cycles. I ordered my M9000 groupset from Evan's cycles with no fees.

I would go with M8000 based on your budget, I can't see ever going back to a 2x system and the new Shimano stuff is really nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by pa mtn biker View Post
    Anyone know if duty/brokerage fees apply from the German sites like bike-discount.de?

Also, is the Race Face Ride crank any good? If I "cheap out" on the crank, I can splurge elsewhere (like m9000 RD).

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Arts Cyclery did an article on this very topic..

Art's Cyclery Blog » Ask a Mechanic | Shimano XTR ? Where To Spend Your Money

They have a SRAM one as well. If you go 1x Shimano, I'm pretty sure it still applies