Gore Ride On w/A9C, will it last?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Gore Ride On w/A9C, will it last?

I pulled the shifter cables out of my A9C to swap the position at which they enter the head tube. I did not cross them the first time and this really puts a bind on the cables. I had intended to reuse the same cables, but due to the trouble of re-routing, I think I should put new cables in and I'm thinking of installing Gore Ride On cables.

Do you think these cables will work well for this application being that they may rub against 1. the steering tube
    2. the cables may rub against each other as they cross inside the frame
    3. they rub on the cable guide, mounted inside at the top of the bottom bracket

Will the coating hold up? If not, will it hurt anything if it doesn't.

Thank you for the help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Gore-Tex cables should work fine with most if not all bikes. I have run them in internal and external cable bikes (cable rub and all). The only issue is you could have problems some SRAM shifters (namely X9s). Some SRAM shifters require you to open the top and awkwardly slide the shifter cable near a spring, and the cables rub a piece of plastic. With these shifters, the Gore-Tex lining could be compromised unless you are very very careful.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah
    Some SRAM shifters require you to open the top and awkwardly slide the shifter cable near a spring, and the cables rub a piece of plastic. With these shifters, the Gore-Tex lining could be compromised unless you are very very careful.
    Thank for the response Pisgah. I run 2010 3X9 (converted to 2X9) X.0 shifters. They are a bit awkward to put a cable in, but I do not remember a piece of plastic. Are these shifters among those you mentioned?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy524
    3. they rub on the cable guide, mounted inside at the top of the bottom bracket
    my cracked and collected a lot of dirt in a couple of month. However it did not affect front shifting but probably it could be more critical for a rear derailleur. The worse thing about Gore cables is their fragility. After year cables looked like brushes near clamping bolts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well it sounds like there is a bit of risk. It is not easy to install cables in an A9C, especially with the cups already in .

I have a set of XTR cables I think I will put in. I only ever have to tighten them once and I'm set. The shifting should already be improved by releasing some of the strain on the cables going into the headtube. I just thought if there were a better solution, now would be the time.

Members who have read this thread: 0