mtbr member

Garbaruk Oval vs Race Face: Chain Line

Just received a wonderfully machined and anodized Garbaruk Cinch Melon 30 direct from Ukraine

I was curious about trying the oval but mostly wanted to "fix" the chain line that with the Race Face 30T is quite a bit off to the outside. It works fine on my 11 speed 1040 XT + One-up 45 cog (including backpedaling) but on the 45 and 40 it does take a bit of an extreme angle:

Garbaruk Oval vs Race Face: Chain Line-dsc00198.jpg

The Garbaruks have variable chain line depending on chain ring size Race Face Cinch Melon - Direct Mount - Oval Chainrings. And this is the result with the Garbaruk Melon 30T:

Garbaruk Oval vs Race Face: Chain Line-dsc00200.jpg

Much better

Just went for a short spin (forgot the lights, is getting dark soon!) and I am quite surprised about how transparent the set up is: zero transition period. For sure it makes for easy one legged strokes! Can't wait to go for a longer ride tomorrow.

Garbaruk Oval vs Race Face: Chain Line-dsc00201.jpg
    Last edited by Davide; 11-04-2015 at 01:16 AM.

Formerly of Kent
    I love mine, too!
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Share how these are working out!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have 2 rides on mine so far and at first it felt odd, 2nd ride felt more natural. I feel that it does aid climbing a bit but more riding is needed to know for sure. Chainline is better than RF.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Is this your first oval ring?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've had Garbaruk melon on my RF Next SL cranks for a few months now. I love it. Did it for the improved chainline and it eliminated the chain drop down the cassette that I had with backpedaling. Surprised how much I like the oval. Didn't see that coming. It smoothes out the power stroke. I have extraordinarily long legs -- mostly femur. So, I think it improves my uneven power stroke more than it would otherwise.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Yes, my first.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Yes, my first.
    I have an Absolute Black so it would be interesting to see how they differ.

mtbr member
    Dig mine. 30T with 47.7mm CL. Lol...no more backpedal drop. Quieter when I'm in the 42T also.

Garbaruk Oval vs Race Face: Chain Line-img_20151017_165551.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I have 2 rides on mine so far and at first it felt odd, 2nd ride felt more natural. I feel that it does aid climbing a bit but more riding is needed to know for sure. Chainline is better than RF.
    It probably depends on how we pedal ...

First ride (20') as I mentioned felt completely neutral, the only thing I noticed was that my knees seemed to coming up faster. I tend to pull up quite a lot when riding and it was suddenly just too much pull.

Second ride today (90') my body had already adjusted, pulling less I think, and things were very very smooth.

For some reason I like the way the oval feels a lot. I am generally very conservative about "new" things but this one is winning me over quickly. It gives a sensation of very uniform torque delivery: in a couple flattish sections I really got in a very nice cadence. Today I tried a bunch of steep uphill switch backs and I was very impressed by how easier they felt. It seemed like I could hesitate a bit and when reapplying power the traction was there without any "jerking" motion at the wheel. Very nice. Same in sand, where pulling up with your leg seems (as I mentioned) much more effective.

But ... I am quickly forgetting how the round felt, and I am certainly not going to put it back for comparison. So there! that as far as I will go in terms of comparison.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The 30t Raceface NW ring is already offset inward a few mm ( at least in the 104BCD size) do the direct mount rings have different chainlines? . How much more does the Garboruk ring move it inwards ?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    3rd ride on the Garbaruk and it seemed natural. I think it climbs better but that may be my imagination.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The 30t Raceface NW ring is already offset inward a few mm ( at least in the 104BCD size) do the direct mount RF rings have different chainlines? . How much more does the Garboruk ring move it inwards ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by al-r View Post
    The 30t Raceface NW ring is already offset inward a few mm ( at least in the 104BCD size) do the direct mount RF rings have different chainlines? . How much more does the Garboruk ring move it inwards ?
    Yes the RF chainrings are offset inward. Chain line is 51mm for all rings but it is not enough. The Garboruk Melons published numbers are:

ChainLine (CL)

28T 47,1 mm
    30T 48,1 mm
    32T 49,1 mm
    34T 50,3 mm
    36T 51,3 mm

But besides the numbers you can see it from the photos. The RF is outward enough that the chain takes a S-shape in the lowest gear. That makes for a lot of stress on the chain and it might explain why some people experience backpedaling derailment; for sure it makes quite a lot of noise and a somewhat laborious upshift on the stand (on trail it is fine). The Garboruk has perfect chain line across the range of the cassette.

mtbr member
    The one thing holding me back from buying a Garburuk chainring is the long teeth - don't you guys smash them on logs/rocks? Chains are a lot less expensive than an oval ring! Otherwise they seem to be the only ones who understand the whole chain line thing so good on them. How close is the chain to the rear tire?

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    How many teeth is that ring? That seems heavy (unless its a 36t) compared to what Garbaruk publish for the other interface style rings they sell. My 32t Melon Specialized ring is supposed to be 54g, and I hope it's really close to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I love mine, too!

Formerly of Kent
    34t Hollowgram.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    The one thing holding me back from buying a Garburuk chainring is the long teeth - don't you guys smash them on logs/rocks? Chains are a lot less expensive than an oval ring! Otherwise they seem to be the only ones who understand the whole chain line thing so good on them. How close is the chain to the rear tire?

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Can't really smash a 1x since the chain is always on the ring, right? I don't have that issue since I ride a Niner and the lower link keeps it safe. Teeth do extend a mil or so through chain.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    Can't really smash a 1x since the chain is always on the ring, right? I don't have that issue since I ride a Niner and the lower link keeps it safe. Teeth do extend a mil or so through chain.
    You can still hit it and fold it over...

mtbr member
    Well I just ordered 2 Garbaruk rings . A 42 tooth 130bcd in blue and a 34 tooth 104bcd in purple. Garbaruk is the only place I could find making a 42 x 130bcd for my cross bike . I have ovals on both other bikes a one up and a Absolute black. Now when I ride my cross bike with round ring my knees hurt. My one concern is timing . the Garbaruks are 108degrees and the one up and AB are in the 112-115 range . Looking at diagrams the 108 seems like it might be better , guess Ill find out. How long did it take to get your rings in the USA?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The AB 104 has a 2mm offset built into the ring on a 32t oval. I am also corvinced oval is better. I am curious if the Garbaruk is spaced more towards the bb to help with Chainline over the AB ring.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    It's not so much offset for chainline as spacing for the chain side plates.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan View Post
    How long did it take to get your rings in the USA?
    I think to remember around a week, just a bit slower than a package from Chainreaction/Ireland.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yup. About 7-10 days from the time the shipping notification is sent out.

mtbr member
    You know the 28 and 26 tooth Garbaruk rings have even better chainline - 47.1mm vs 48.1 mm for a 30 tooth ring
    Race Face Cinch Melon - Direct Mount - Oval Chainrings