mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Garbaruk Creaking?

I've got a Garbaruk 10-50 cassette on an XD driver on DT 240 hubs. I've had the cassette for about 6-8 months. Lately I've been having some really bad creaking with it in the highest 3-4 gears (smallest cogs).

I emailed the company about a week ago, but their customer service is about as bad as I feared (non-existant). I've searched around and not been able to find anything.

I pulled the hubs apart and checked all the bearings, and they're all in great shape. I cleaned everything, re-assembled, re-torqued, etc. No luck, and I don't see any wear points where this could be coming from.

Anyone have a similar issue? I'm going to try putting some dabs of grease on the driver. I'm not sure what else to do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    My 11-48 cassette started creaking and then the lockring self-destructed. I've since replaced the lockring with one from an XTR cassette which seems to work OK. The lockring design or material from which it's made seems a little weak. I did not over-tighten the lockring.

Your lockring will be a different design, but check it for cracks/damage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    My 11-48 cassette started creaking and then the lockring self-destructed. I've since replaced the lockring with one from an XTR cassette which seems to work OK. The lockring design or material from which it's made seems a little weak. I did not over-tighten the lockring.

Your lockring will be a different design, but check it for cracks/damage.
    EDIT: I see OP is using an XD driver, so points below may be moot for him as they apply to Shimano freehub.

Iíve had similar issues with two Garbaruk 11-46 cassettes on I9/Shimano hubs. I think TigWorld is correct, the issue is with the lockring. The Garbaruk lockring is garbage (well actually itís just aluminum, but certainly not up to the task). I replaced mine with steel rings from other cassettes, torqued them down good and tight, and that fixed it.

More generally, the flaw with these cassettes is that the dropout end (small cogs) fits the freehub splines very loosely. Take the lockring off and see how much side-to-side play there is between cassette and freehub body. As a result, torque applied to the small cogs tends to wiggle the cassette side to side on the freehub body, and compression of the lockring holding the cassette firm to the freehub is the only thing counteracting this. Over time, the cassette starts wiggling under the lockring, especially if the lockring is soft aluminum, and you get creaking.

Bottom line is the way the single-piece-of-steel cassette interfaces with the Shimano freehub is definitely not within the design parameters of the freehub-lockring system. It can be made to work, but is not and will not be a great solution. Kind of disappointing, but maybe not surprising given the company is a couple Ukrainians with a CNC milling machine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks guys...basically what I suspected. I noticed a lot of aluminum shavings in the section under the aluminum cap, and a lot of lateral play in the cassette. I had already checked into fitting a Shimano cap onto the end but they are very different sizes.

Not sure where that leaves me. This was obviously not a cheap cassette and I love the gearing and shifting. It appears from their website that I already have the "updated" version.

Garbaruk sells new end caps but not steel ones. Maybe I can spec a thin stainless steel washer like Shimano puts on theirs.

In the meantime I would recommend that SRAM XD owners avoid this cassette. My e13 on my other bike isn't perfect but it doesn't have these problems...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Here's a quick video where you can see the lateral play in the cassette without the end cap installed. Look at the gap in the area between the black splined section and the 10t cog. So they are basically relying on a small aluminum end cap to contain this play.... I think that's where the issue is. Ideally I would think you just wouldn't have this much play, I don't think this is something that a steel end cap should be tasked with fixing.

https://youtu.be/WNzgqMKz0dQ

But, I don't really have the machinery to make something to fix this, so I just ordered some m28 x 0.3mm stainless washers that I'm going to whittle down to try to fit under the aluminum end cap.
    Last edited by Porch; 09-08-2018 at 03:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Here's a quick video where you can see the lateral play in the cassette without the end cap installed. Look at the gap in the area between the black splined section and the 10t cog. So they are basically relying on a small aluminum end cap to contain this play.... I think that's where the issue is. Ideally I would think you just wouldn't have this much play, I don't think this is something that a steel end cap should be tasked with fixing.

https://youtu.be/WNzgqMKz0dQ

But, I don't really have the machinery to make something to fix this, so I just ordered some m28 x 0.3mm stainless washers that I'm going to whittle down to try to fit under the aluminum end cap.
    Do u have the dual lock ring version they are selling now and still have this issue?
    https://youtu.be/sD_7Fdim8mI

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bajaguy View Post
    Do u have the dual lock ring version they are selling now and still have this issue?
    https://youtu.be/sD_7Fdim8mI
    Yeah, mine is the latest version.

Although, I just realized that they are recommending 45nm for the inner ring and 40nm for the outer lock ring. I must have been looking at the v1 instructions (40nm and 20nm) when I re-torqued mine. I'll re-torque mine and report back with the results.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Yeah, mine is the latest version.

Although, I just realized that they are recommending 45nm for the inner ring and 40nm for the outer lock ring. I must have been looking at the v1 instructions (40nm and 20nm) when I re-torqued mine. I'll re-torque mine and report back with the results.
    Cool let us know. I just ordered an Xd cassette a couple days back and was really hesitant but hadnít seen any bad reviews and went for it. Sure enough they pop up after I order one.🤦🏽*♂️

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a dual lock ring 10-46 XD cassette and everything was fine for several months, but now the outer lockring starts to get loose after about 1h riding and makes a rattling/creaking noise.

Anybody found a good solution to fixing this? Have already asked from Garbaruk but no answer...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well good news on my end, I went back with the correct torque specs (45nm for the cassette and 40nm for the lock ring) and that fixed the creaking for now.

It doesn't really explain why it started creaking after 6 months of part-time use, so my guess is that the lock ring is coming loose and it will probably get worse over time. I'll report back later...

On a side note i did order some 28mm ID x 40mm OD x 0.3mm thick stainless washers from China so i'm planning to install one of those when it gets here (probably a while). I'll have to grind the OD down to about 30mm but otherwise it's close enough. I think that should take some of the stress off the aluminum end cap and allow it to torque correctly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ....annnnd, one more update:

Turns out that Garbaruk did email me back, it just ended up in my spam folder (on gmail). So I wrote them back and let them know that i'm all set for now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Xizor1 View Post
    I have a dual lock ring 10-46 XD cassette and everything was fine for several months, but now the outer lockring starts to get loose after about 1h riding and makes a rattling/creaking noise.

Anybody found a good solution to fixing this? Have already asked from Garbaruk but no answer...
    Update on my part, some grade AAA+ customer service from Garbaruk => they just sent me a brand new 10-46 cassette as a replacement when I finally got into talks with the customer service!

Don't know if there has been a design change or my cassette/lockring had something wrong but I will try out the new cassette and see how it works..

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Great to hear they are looking after customers like that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    So second ride on my 11-48t Shimano style Garbaruk today and it started creaking bad, came home and the lock ring had loosened, it really does suck. Tightened it up again but if it happens again a Shimano one will be going on.

Also battling a shifting issue in 9th and 8th gear when shifting up the cassette the chain skips on the previous gear like the derailleur isn't indexed properly. That could possibly be a mech hanger issue though yet. If that's not it I may try a narrower eagle chain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    3 more rides in and my lock ring has come loose again pedalling along in top gear. I have a Token alluminium one on order in matching anodised red to see if that holds. For the time being I'll use an old steel Shimano one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Really getting sick of this cassette. Removed the cassette yesterday and cleaned and greased the cassette and freehub interfaces then fit a steel Shimano lock ring, to more than 40nm and still, 500m into my ride it started creaking and I had to abort the ride for fear of damaging parts. Why can't anything just work these days as it's intended to?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I have re-fit the stock alloy Garbaruk lock ring and it seems to have stopped the creaking but I am sure only for a limited time. The steel lock rings I have don't have the thin metal washer/shim/gasket thingy on the flange so I think that is preventing them from getting proper torque even when my torque wrench is set above 45Nm. I have emailed Garbaruk telling them of my issues, hopefully they can suggest a solution. Also I hope my Token lock ring arrives soon but postage to Australia is notoriously slow so I won't hold my breath.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Garbaruk Creaking?

Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    I have re-fit the stock alloy Garbaruk lock ring and it seems to have stopped the creaking but I am sure only for a limited time. The steel lock rings I have don't have the thin metal washer/shim/gasket thingy on the flange so I think that is preventing them from getting proper torque even when my torque wrench is set above 45Nm. I have emailed Garbaruk telling them of my issues, hopefully they can suggest a solution. Also I hope my Token lock ring arrives soon but postage to Australia is notoriously slow so I won't hold my breath.
    Mine developed creaking problems after ~2500 miles of use. The small outer cog wore out the free hub body splines and the cassette became super wobbly over time. I use Shimano lock rings tightened to 45-50 N-m. These seem to work better if you remove the thin ring that comes on the Shimano lock ring. I also put a small dab of grease where the cassette contacts the freehub body. So far so good. No creaking noises and no wobbling cassette. BTW, I have the 11-46T version for Shimano freehub bodies. The original lock ring was junk and failed while I was out riding. My cassette slid off the hub body. Yikes! IĎm happy to hear there is a new cassette design that should address the lock ring and outer spline mounting issues. Hopefully the Shimano lock ring and increasing the N-m fixes your creak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thank you everyone for sharing your user experience.

We're constantly evolving and our products get upgrades to ensure they can be used without any issues. As for the XD-compatible cassette, it had three major revisions, last of which is free from lockring getting untightened, and has advanced coating that reduces noise during operation.

Every cassette that has been purchased directly from us or our dealers and have some issues preventing it from being used as advertised is a subject for warranty replacement and every such case will be reviewed and answered for. Please email us if you have any issues or questions: support@garbaruk.com
    Garbaruk lightweight components
    Visit our website
    Follow us on Instagram