Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    One ride after setting it up properly Iím quite happy. The Shimano cage adaptor seems to take the 50t just fine. Bottom line, never over look the basics. Fresh chain, shift cable and housing goes a long way to drive train happiness.
    Losing just makes me faster.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jdr120 View Post
    Have any of you had creaking issues with the 11-46 cassette (it's on a shimano hub).. It's quiet for about half a ride then creaks in the lower gears (1-4). I pulled it off after 6 rides, and went back to the xt cassette.
    I had friends who experienced this creaking issue. The creaking only happens when on the high gears (11t and 13t). One was solved when we found out he had a spacer on this cassette. He used to run a 10 speed drivetrain on an 11 speed hub, so he had to put a spacer. When he upgraded to 11 speed, he forgot to remove the spacer. After removing the spacer, the creaking was gone.

The problems is when splines on the shimano freehub isn't fully engaged on the 11t cog due to the spacer. In time, dirt would get in the gap and cause the creaking.

Another friend who had a creaking problem was able to solve it by cleaning and putting a little grease on the tip of the free hub where the 11t is sitting.

HOpe this helps..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm going to answer my own question. Garbaruk XD cassette almost works with Ibis branded hubs. The outer lockring interferes just a little with the endcap. Some filing inside it solves the problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    for the people in the US that ordered cassettes, did you use express shipping or standard mail?

Dab-O-Matic
    Standard here, as I wasn't in a hurry. If I remember correctly, it took longer for them to process the order than to receive once it was shipped, something like 10 days.
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    Cannondale Black Di2/disk (roadie)
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    just pulled the trigger on a 10-50 cassette with RD cage. Let's see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedrosalas7 View Post
    for the people in the US that ordered cassettes, did you use express shipping or standard mail?
    Standard here too; I wasn't in a hurry either.
    It's working well--10x50 with X01 derailleur and the Garbaruk long cage; XD driver; Hope hub.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    good, i'll be using 10-50 on a hope hub with m8000 RD and the garbaruk cage.

MCMXCV
    Well, I had a DT Swiss 350 / XM481 wheelset built to replace my Hope Pro 4 set, so I just ordered a chrome 11 speed 10-46XD Garbaruk cassette.

Pretty stoked at the gearing I'll have and I just hope it works as well as its price tag says it will....... I'll update when I get it installed on my X1 drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm waiting on my cassette, I got the shipping notice on friday. hopefully it get here quickly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I found that the b-adjustment setting is critical to good shifting with the Garbaruk -- much more sensitive than with my stock cassette. I have an XX1 derailleur and was not totally happy with the shifting after I installed my Garbaruk 10-48 cassette. I was at an event that had a SRAM booth, and I had a SRAM tech adjust it for me. He screwed the b-adjust way in and said that the SRAM derailleur needs 12-15mm of spacing between the top pulley and largest cog due to their design (13mm is the SRAM recommended spacing). After this adjustment, my shifting was horrible both up and down the cassette. I adjusted it so that the distance was about 3-5mm, as close as possible without it rubbing when shifting to the largest cog, and now the shifting is good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    I adjusted it so that the distance was about 3-5mm, as close as possible without it rubbing when shifting to the largest cog, and now the shifting is good.
    I've done it the similar way, but anyway sometimes a shifting from 10 to 9 cog is lazy.

mtbr member
    I ordered a 10-46 XD cassette direct from Garbaruk a couple days ago. Just got this email from them today:

We are very sorry to let you know that your order will be delayed. It will be sent in the beginning of the next week
    We launch the new version of XD cassette with some modification in the construction to guarantee its proper operation

Thank you for understanding
    Not sure what the change is, makes me wonder if there's some known issue with the current batch? Yes, I would like "proper operation" thank you!

MCMXCV
    Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    I ordered a 10-46 XD cassette direct from Garbaruk a couple days ago. Just got this email from them today:

Not sure what the change is, makes me wonder if there's some known issue with the current batch? Yes, I would like "proper operation" thank you!
    I received the exact same email this morning.... I replied back to verify that I will be receiving the 'new' XD version and she immediately replied with a yes.

I'm not sure what changed, but I'm all for running incremental improvements, so hopefully it will be worth the wait.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

e-13 9-46 vs Garbaruk 10-46

Has anyone on this thread A-B comparison tested the e-13 and Garbaruk cassettes? It seems that they both have their reliability issues, at this writing I am kinda leaning towards the e-13 as they have proven to have great customer service (i.e. they warranty faulty cassettes quickly) and residing in states, in a pinch I can have an e-13 delivered in 2-3 days.

Conversely, Garbaruk's fabrication and finish looks to be superior to the e-13. My primary concern is Garbaruk's quality control, customer service and the down time challenges presented with long international shipping time frames.

Any opinions or actual experience shared is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by CDIDriver View Post
    Has anyone on this thread A-B comparison tested the e-13 and Garbaruk cassettes? It seems that they both have their reliability issues, at this writing I am kinda leaning towards the e-13 as they have proven to have great customer service (i.e. they warranty faulty cassettes quickly) and residing in states, in a pinch I can have an e-13 delivered in 2-3 days.

Conversely, Garbaruk's fabrication and finish looks to be superior to the e-13. My primary concern is Garbaruk's quality control, customer service and the down time challenges presented with long international shipping time frames.

Can't comment on issues with either, but I ordered my garbaruk cassette on 07/06 and it's being delivered today. faster than I was expecting given what's been said here.

MCMXCV
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    I received the exact same email this morning.... I replied back to verify that I will be receiving the 'new' XD version and she immediately replied with a yes.

I'm not sure what changed, but I'm all for running incremental improvements, so hopefully it will be worth the wait.
    I received a shipping and tracking email today just like Garbaruk said I would..... so far, so good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I got mine yesterday and it mounted with no issues to my Hope pro2 evo hub with XD driver. I also installed a derailleur cage which was pretty simple.

I need to adjust chain length and all that today but so far so good. It's a very good looking cassette. and a lot lighter than I thought it would be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Not an exact reply, but I've got e13 9-44 and Garbaruk 10-48. Briefly, e13 cassette design is sucks. It consists of 2 parts, 3 large cogs are aluminium. Not easy to install, requires a custom tool and two chain whips (or deinstall it on the bike holding by a chain). e13 cassete often begins to creak, they released the silence kit that fixes it but not completely (a support in EU is almost useless). Compared with e13 Garbaruk cassete is a piece of art. But... the shifting is better on e13...

I wish I bought Sram Eagle. )

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Has anyone used both the ZTTO 11-50 and Garbaruk 11-50? I'm curious about how the difference in how the different gaps between gears on the two different cassettes affects riders?

ZTTO 11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 24, 28, 32, 38, 44, 50

Garbaruk 11, 13, 15, 17, 20, 24, 28, 32, 36, 42, 50

mtbr member
    Does anyone else have this problem - I have a Garbaruk 11-48 cassette (the rest of the drivetrain consists of an Absoluteblack direct mount oval 30T, Canfield Bros. crankset, XT M8000 derailleur, and SRAM XX1 chain). When I'm in the top 2 gears (48 and 42), the drivetrain is silent. However, the drivetrain makes a constant creaking noise when in the 37 and below cogs. The noise seems to get louder as you get into in the smaller gears. It has nothing to do with suspension, because the second I stop pedaling, the creaking stops. This happens even when the chain and cassette are freshly cleaned/lubed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    Does anyone else have this problem - I have a Garbaruk 11-48 cassette (the rest of the drivetrain consists of an Absoluteblack direct mount oval 30T, Canfield Bros. crankset, XT M8000 derailleur, and SRAM XX1 chain). When I'm in the top 2 gears (48 and 42), the drivetrain is silent. However, the drivetrain makes a constant creaking noise when in the 37 and below cogs. The noise seems to get louder as you get into in the smaller gears. It has nothing to do with suspension, because the second I stop pedaling, the creaking stops. This happens even when the chain and cassette are freshly cleaned/lubed.
    Similar situation here... I have a standard XT M8000 drivetrain including the chain with a 34t Wolftooth ring on the front.

Most gears seem fine but when the chain sits on the small cogs, specifically on the 2nd and 3rd, there is a constant noise (grinding) as if the space between the cogs would be smaller than between other cogs. Also shifting under power sometimes is quite clunky and noisy.

I have done only about 100 kms so far and maybe it can be rectified by adjusting the rear derailleur but from a product costing this much I expected better. The bike is '17 TR Smuggler.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    2 suggestions for the rubbing/ grinding noise
    1. Check your chainline, if it favors the big cogs the chain will rub on the small ones
    2. Have you tried an Eagle/ 12 spd chain? Check this out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Datny92SLL8
    2019 Yeti SB100
    2016 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mevnet View Post
    2 suggestions for the rubbing/ grinding noise
    1. Check your chainline, if it favors the big cogs the chain will rub on the small ones
    2. Have you tried an Eagle/ 12 spd chain? Check this out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Datny92SLL8
    Hi Mevnet/LoveMTB, thanks for suggestions!

1) I will check the chainline but one reason why I chose the WT was because it provided a corrected chainline ie 49 mm. Interestingly, when the chain is on the smallest cog the trasnismision seems smooth and quiet;

2) Ive seen quite a few of your videos I was thinking about the SRAM Eagle chain because its narrower, maybe I will give it a try later on.

MCMXCV
    Well, I had a DT Swiss 350 / XM481 wheelset built to replace my Hope Pro 4 set, so I just ordered a chrome 11 speed 10-46XD Garbaruk cassette.

Pretty stoked at the gearing I'll have and I just hope it works as well as its price tag says it will....... I'll update when I get it installed on my X1 drivetrain.
    So apparently I am the stupidest person on the planet. I somehow assumed that the cassette was 100% steel (even though I saw the anodized large cog in this thread) but it is of course aluminum.

So when I opened my box today I was pretty bummed, pissed - and after actually reading Garbaruk's website, embarrassed to see the aluminum 46T cog.

I loosely installed the cassette just to see it mounted while battling myself and thinking about keeping it, but eventually I knew I didn't want aluminum in my drivetrain (220lb rider 200+ miles per month).

If anyone is interested in a brand new Chrome 10-46T XD cassette hit me up quick as I have it listed on eBay and Pink Bike too.

................. I'm a freaking idiot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    So apparently I am the stupidest person on the planet. I somehow assumed that the cassette was 100% steel (even though I saw the anodized large cog in this thread) but it is of course aluminum.

So when I opened my box today I was pretty bummed, pissed - and after actually reading Garbaruk's website, embarrassed to see the aluminum 46T cog.

I loosely installed the cassette just to see it mounted while battling myself and thinking about keeping it, but eventually I knew I didn't want aluminum in my drivetrain (220lb rider 200+ miles per month).

If anyone is interested in a brand new Chrome 10-46T XD cassette hit me up quick as I have it listed on eBay and Pink Bike too.

................. I'm a freaking idiot.
    Did you take it for a test spin to see how it shifts?

MCMXCV
    Sold on eBay
    Last edited by D Bone; 07-31-2018 at 02:52 PM.

MCMXCV
    Double Post
    Last edited by D Bone; 07-31-2018 at 02:52 PM.

mtbr member
    So I got in some trouble on a couple of XCM races with my setup; SRAM X1, 11 speed, 32 front, with a SRAM pinned 10-42 cassete on the back, hardtail bike. Some hills are just a waste of watts by having to grind a lot.

First I thought, well GX 12 speed would solve the things, but it would be a wasted opportunity if didn't got a 34 ring on the front to get the full range. With this options costs would be over the top (+300 euro) on a group that is basically a SRAM version of SLX (or Deore).

Then I even considered going XTR, M9000 is getting cheaper this days, but I had to change the hub body to a shimano one (DT Swiss 350 hubs).

I finally found this Garbaruk solution, it looks cool but I'm still not sure.
    Does it work (50t) with an X1? Well, X1 with the long cage provided by the garbaruk kit?
    Do I have to change the chain to 12s? (Mine, a SRAM 11s barely got 500km).
    Thank you!
    GT Zaskar '97
    GT Sensor Carbon '14
    GT Grade Carbon '17
    GT Bump '17
    GT Zaskar Carbon LTD '16
    GT Sanction Team '17

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Price of Eagle GX upgrade kit is ~215-250 euros (depending of your country). A chainring not included though.

48t (and I guess 50t) will not work good enough with any stock SRAM 11sp derailleur. You'll have to buy a Garbaruk cage or Eagle rear der. In my Garbaruk setup (10-48t, Eagle GX der) shifts are not so crisp and fast as with Eagle GX.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by accordnick View Post
    Price of Eagle GX upgrade kit is ~215-250 euros (depending of your country). A chainring not included though.

48t (and I guess 50t) will not work good enough with any stock SRAM 11sp derailleur. You'll have to buy a Garbaruk cage or Eagle rear der. In my Garbaruk setup (10-48t, Eagle GX der) shifts are not so crisp and fast as with Eagle GX.
    Yeap, everyone is saying that max is 46 on a stock 11s SRAM deraileur. So I guess I have to go on that combo Garbaruk 10-50 + cage. Thank you!
    Do I keep the 11s chain?
    GT Zaskar '97
    GT Sensor Carbon '14
    GT Grade Carbon '17
    GT Bump '17
    GT Zaskar Carbon LTD '16
    GT Sanction Team '17

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by t-stoff View Post
    Do I keep the 11s chain?
    I still keep it but 12sp chain may increase shifting quality. It's worth trying. Next time I will. )

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by leanbear View Post
    Similar situation here... I have a standard XT M8000 drivetrain including the chain with a 34t Wolftooth ring on the front.

Most gears seem fine but when the chain sits on the small cogs, specifically on the 2nd and 3rd, there is a constant noise (grinding) as if the space between the cogs would be smaller than between other cogs. Also shifting under power sometimes is quite clunky and noisy.

I have done only about 100 kms so far and maybe it can be rectified by adjusting the rear derailleur but from a product costing this much I expected better. The bike is '17 TR Smuggler.
    I followed mevnet's advice and bought GX Eagle chain for my XT M8000 + Garbaruk 11-48 cassette combo and it's... success!!

Maybe it's not 100% perfect but gear changes are smooth, relatively quick and quite. I think I will keep it like this.

mtbr member
    Have not been here for some time, interesting oppinions. accordnick, I have the same setup, Eagle GX RD with Garbaruk 10-50 and 11sp chain (PG1170 I think) and I have no problem. You find the Eagle set up significantly smoother than 11sp system with Garbaruk cassette? As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I rode the Eagle X01 set up before that and after I swithched to this Garbaruk setup, I felt practically no difference when riding. Ok, Eagle X01 was a bit more smooth shifting, but I only noticed it only when spinning my bike upside down in my garage. But when riding in terrain, I think the difference is neglegeable.
    The E13 cassette shifts better than Garbaruk? This is interesting to know. I thought about the E13 9-46. More speed with the 9t than 10t cog and 46t would probably also be enough, I rarely use the 50t. This review put me off the E13, but maybe it is not true: https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/c...-review-51469/
    One more question, is there a big difference in speed 9t and 10t cog?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    has anybody had the finish on the chromed part of the cassette flake of? I've had it for a couple of months at most riding only on weekends and I already noticed it, a bit disappointing tbh

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    One more question, is there a big difference in speed 9t and 10t cog?[/QUOTE]

There sure is, try this tool Bicycle Gear Calculator

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by EOS_ View Post
    Have not been here for some time, interesting oppinions. accordnick, I have the same setup, Eagle GX RD with Garbaruk 10-50 and 11sp chain (PG1170 I think) and I have no problem. You find the Eagle set up significantly smoother than 11sp system with Garbaruk cassette? As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I rode the Eagle X01 set up before that and after I swithched to this Garbaruk setup, I felt practically no difference when riding. Ok, Eagle X01 was a bit more smooth shifting, but I only noticed it only when spinning my bike upside down in my garage. But when riding in terrain, I think the difference is neglegeable.
    I occasionally have lazy upshifting at small cogs with Garbaruk. Yes, when riding in terrain. At bike stand - no problems... I think it may vary from cassette to cassette.

The E13 cassette shifts better than Garbaruk? This is interesting to know. I thought about the E13 9-46. More speed with the 9t than 10t cog and 46t would probably also be enough, I rarely use the 50t. This review put me off the E13, but maybe it is not true: https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/c...-review-51469/
    One more question, is there a big difference in speed 9t and 10t cog?
    Yes, 9t vs 10t really makes a difference. You may check it at http://www.gear-calculator.com/#. Regarding shifting, my E13 9-44 is almost an ideal, rear der is SRAM X01 11sp.

mtbr member
    thanx for the reply. I guess I will try the e13 9-46 sometime soon. Hmm, my upshifts (from smaller cogs to larger) are smoother than my downshift. I would say it is really quick. I feel some delay especially when shifting from the 14 to12 and to 10 cog, but still I think that delay is neglegible, so no issue. Also good to know, that 12sp Eagle chain may improve shifting performance on these 11sp systems. I will try that when it will be time to change chain. I know these gear calculators, just wanted to know the oppinion from someone that actually used it. I compared them on this page: Bike Gears calculator

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leanbear View Post
    I followed mevnet's advice and bought GX Eagle chain for my XT M8000 + Garbaruk 11-48 cassette combo and it's... success!!

Maybe it's not 100% perfect but gear changes are smooth, relatively quick and quite. I think I will keep it like this.
    I'm heading in a similar direction. My 2018 Kona came with Eagle GX12 (10-50) and I have had repeated issues picking up debris combined with the longer/lower design of derailleur cage resulting in the derailleur being pulled into spokes and twisting. I trashed first derailleur after 5 rides and the newest one has already had the same thing happen a few times. I am convinced this will continue to be a problem and looking to move on from the Eagle GX12. With the high cost of SRAM components, my preference is a more reliable and economical shimano 11spd setup.

Was considering XT M8000 der with the 11-46 XT cassette but the Garbaruk sounds like a better option. I'd like to stay with the existing 34T Eagle N/W chainring because I don't need to go to the 50T low gear too much...nice to have but I think I can manage without it. If needed I can go to 32T chainring down the road.

Sounds like Eagle 12spd chain, existing 34T chainring combined with Garbaruk 11-48 (XD drive) and XT M8000 will work.

Thoughts on this setup? (2018 Kona Process 153 AL/DL 27.5)

Which shimano shifter would be best match for this?
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Eagle chain + Garbaruk 10-48t = so much better shifting!

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by pedrosalas7 View Post
    has anybody had the finish on the chromed part of the cassette flake of? I've had it for a couple of months at most riding only on weekends and I already noticed it, a bit disappointing tbh
    Welp, dammit. My chrome 10-46 just showed up in the mail yesterday
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm rather perplexed by these comments. I'm running into this EXACT issue on a custom build I'm finally getting around to. I bought the SRAM XD 10-50 cassette exactly a year ago, and built a custom 29er wheelset running Hope Pro 4 hubs. I can assure you that at the time I ordered the cassette, there was absolutely zero mention that the cassette wouldn't fit the Pro 4s. I'm pretty irritated right now, trying to figure out how to solve the problem. Essentially, the Pro 4 end cap goes from 19mm at the very end and gradually steps to 20mm to 21mm, and it's by the time the 21mm comes into play that the cassette tool runs out of threads to tighten down the cassette.
    I tried to find a way if I could remove the end cap just to install the cassette, but it doesn't appear to come off.
    There is zero mention currently on the site that the cassette doesn't work with the Pro 4s. In fact, Garbaruk has a PDF posted on their site right now (http://www.garbaruk.com/files/GARBAR...CIFICATION.pdf) which states that a 21mm end cap size is the absolute max that will work with the cassette. What am I missing here folks? Any update on this?

Quote Originally Posted by grizfish View Post
    Some Onyx XD hubs will work. Mine worked just fine. Their new instructions are very specific:
    http://garbaruk.com/files/GARBARUK%2...ITY%20TEST.pdf

"Garbaruk XD-compatible cassette is not compatible with the following rear hub models:
    Hope 4 Pro
    Some Onyx rear hub models"
    Quote Originally Posted by PMaj View Post
    Hi all,
    I have a question about the Hope Pro 4 hubs and why they will not work. Is it something to do with the drive side spacer?
    Thx
    Quote Originally Posted by razorjack View Post
    it looks it won't work with Hope XD hub,
    http://garbaruk.com/files/GARBARUK%2...ITY%20TEST.pdf

but Hope shimano style freehub should be fine
    New to the thread after seeing this on PinkBike this morning. I have Hope Pro 4 hubs (12x142) with an XD driver. Will a 10-46 fit my Hope P4?

I know the new version E13 with the pinch bolt needs some type of shim to fit and that turned me away from it.

Thanks for any help as I'm not sure why my Hope XD driver is different than any other freakin' XD driver out there??
    Quote Originally Posted by lkgeo View Post
    Following, hoping to hear about a 10-46 or -48 cassette that works with Hope Pro 4 Evo hub, XD driver, and X01 rd. I heard about one person who filed down the HP4 flange to get the Garbaruk to fit; not sure I'd trust myself to do that. & I'd rather not purchase a SRAM cassette, then swap in a Wolf Tooth cog. Sounds like e*thirteen might be the closest option...
    Quote Originally Posted by lkgeo View Post
    p.s. I heard back from Garbaruk this morning:
    Thank you for the request
    Our XD-compatible cassette is compatible with Hope Pro 4 hub
    Same here..... I'm hoping since Garbaruk has the capability to produce a cassette, then they can offer a reworked Hope Pro 4 end cap as well, or they'll be missing out on a lot of orders.
    Last edited by chrisingrassia; 09-02-2018 at 10:42 PM.
    **I don't subscribe to threads. Just PM me if you have a question/comment for me. **

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well I don't know what the f*ck I was trying to do earlier today, but I could not for the life of me get the DS end cap off. Hence why I posted my comment above........it got me so worked up writing it that I went back out to the garage and the DS end cap popped right out.

But now I see where the problem lies with some of you other folks though that the lockring definitely will not work with the Pro 4s end cap. The lockring is threaded on the outside, and it screws on to the inside of the plastic splines. However, there isn't enough space between the end cap and the inside of the splines for the lockring to fit down into. S-H-I-T!!!!
    Is the only choice really to file down the end cap somehow? Does Hope have another end cap option? Is Garbaruk now supplying a new end cap somehow?
    **I don't subscribe to threads. Just PM me if you have a question/comment for me. **

mtbr member
    Have you considered contacting Garbaruk and asking them how they can help you?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisingrassia View Post
    Well I don't know what the f*ck I was trying to do earlier today, but I could not for the life of me get the DS end cap off. Hence why I posted my comment above........it got me so worked up writing it that I went back out to the garage and the DS end cap popped right out.

But now I see where the problem lies with some of you other folks though that the lockring definitely will not work with the Pro 4s end cap. The lockring is threaded on the outside, and it screws on to the inside of the plastic splines. However, there isn't enough space between the end cap and the inside of the splines for the lockring to fit down into. S-H-I-T!!!!
    Is the only choice really to file down the end cap somehow? Does Hope have another end cap option? Is Garbaruk now supplying a new end cap somehow?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yes. And then I remembered I was trying to contact a Ukrainian specialty bike part company. No thanks. I can still remember to this day how long it took them a year ago just to send me my tracking # after like 12 requests. Pathetic.
    I got in touch with the guy over on PinkBike who did some custom work on his end cap to make it work. So I did the exact same thing. This is what ya gotta do.
    Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-20180903_130102.jpg
    Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-20180903_130041.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck View Post
    Have you considered contacting Garbaruk and asking
    them how they can help you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    ^that looks horrible lol. Couldn't get someone to spin it up on a lathe?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    That's a pretty superficial comment. You realize that 80% of the end cap is covered by the cassette anyway, which is the entire part of the filed area? Hell, the other 20% of the cap is covered by the dropout, so worrying about form vs function is sort of pretentious. No?

A lathe lol. You for real? I'll just go ask my neighbor if I can borrow theirs, I mean who doesn't own their own lathe at this point?
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    ^that looks horrible lol. Couldn't get someone to spin it up on a lathe?
    Last edited by chrisingrassia; 09-04-2018 at 11:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    So long as you're fine with your bodge. Just seems ironic to spend money on a premium cassette just to attack a part with an axe like that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Good Lord you're dramatic. And sort of dumb. I didn't touch or modify the cassette, nor did I use an axe on anything.
    Sometimes in life ya gotta figure out how to make something work.
    When you get to the trailhead do you just spend all your time standing there checking out everyone's drive-side end cap for prettiness?
    So long as you're fine with your bodge. Just seems ironic to spend money on a premium cassette just to attack a part with an axe like that.

mtbr member
    I feel left out that I wasn't called "dramatic" and "sort of dumb".

mtbr member
    exactly, for that I would just grad an angular grinder and cut off those edges on that end cap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Dude that's exactly what I did except with a dremel
    exactly, for that I would just grad an angular grinder and cut off those edges on that end cap.

mtbr member
    I've been riding two Garbaruk 11-46 Shimano cassettes on I9 Torch hubs with XTR M9000 derailleur and chain for several months. I have takes!

There are two design flaws with the Garbaruk cassette, which can be overcome with various levels of success:

1) Tooth profiles on the smaller cogs are whack. Specifically, there are a couple highly ramped teeth on the 13t and 15t cogs that will contact the wide links of the chain when it's in the next-largest cog. So with chain in the 15t cog, it makes occasional contact with a couple teeth in the 13t cog. This contact occurs as the chain wraps onto the 15t cog, and only occurs when an outside chain link (i.e. the wide links) lines up with one of the highly shark-finned teeth on the 13t. The result is an irregular but annoying clicking when the chain rides on these smaller (but not smallest) cogs. I've done a lot of messing with barrel adjuster and b-limit, and I can't achieve a chain position that eliminates this without messing up shifting onto larger cogs. It's possible, as others have suggested, that a narrower Eagle chain would fix this.

2) Securing the cassette to a Shimano-splined freehub body is dicey. Specifically, the cassette splines that interface with the freehub on the outboard side (i.e. under to 10t cog) are very loose, much looser than the interface under the inboard side. The effect of this is that when the chain torques the smaller cogs of the cassette, it causes the outboard/lockring side of the cassette to want to wobble relative to the freehub. This leads to the cassette rocking on the freehub body under the lockring, causing lots of annoying creaking. The aluminum lock ring supplied by Garbaruk is totally inadequate, as the soft aluminum just gets worn away by the knurled cassette. I've had some success replacing that crappy lockring with a steel one from old Shimano or SRAM cassettes, though this is still not ideal. You need to make sure the lockring is good and tight!

All in all it's an OK product, but far from perfect. I'll probably wear mine out and then replace 'em with a SRAM 11-speed cassette and chain with the XTR drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Adding this to this thread in case people are looking at the cassette for an XD driver: http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...g-1087451.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Could anyone possibly give me some guidance on the SRAM derailleur cage install?
    I've gotten the stock arms off just fine, and I can perfectly see how they are put back together. I followed the Garbaruk website instructions. I'm having quite a time though with getting the spring re-installed and re-wound using the cage and fixing bolt. Either I'm missing a step or just can't figure out the engineering going on here. I am able to spin the cage around two full times and tighten the fixing bolt, but no matter what I try, I can't get the cage to not spin right back around those two times I manually cranked it.
    The Garbaruk website says "Tighten the fixing bolt by 2..3 turns"...... what does that even mean? 2 turns? 3 turns? 2.3 turns?

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any guidance please?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Could anyone possibly give me some guidance on the SRAM derailleur cage install?
    I've gotten the stock arms off just fine, and I can perfectly see how they are put back together. I followed the Garbaruk website instructions. I'm having quite a time though with getting the spring re-installed and re-wound using the cage and fixing bolt. Either I'm missing a step or just can't figure out the engineering going on here. I am able to spin the cage around two full times and tighten the fixing bolt, but no matter what I try, I can't get the cage to not spin right back around those two times I manually cranked it.
    The Garbaruk website says "Tighten the fixing bolt by 2..3 turns"...... what does that even mean? 2 turns? 3 turns? 2.3 turns?

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any guidance please?

2 to 3 turns. Enough so that when you wind the cage, it doesnt fly off the main body.

If it's spinning round, make sure you put the retaining bolt back in.
    https://garbaruk.com/media/wysiwyg/7_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    2-3 turns of the fixing bolt? Or the cage? Or both?
    I can spin the cage around a couple times for sure so that it's pretty dang tight, but nothing at all holds the cage from spinning right back around in the opposite direction after I tighten the fixing bolt.

That picture does not match the SRAM items that I received. I don't have any "retaining" bolt. My clutch is 2.1 version, so the spring tab sticks out a bit which the plastic piece then sits right on to.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogsfighting View Post
    2 to 3 turns. Enough so that when you wind the cage, it doesnt fly off the main body.

If it's spinning round, make sure you put the retaining bolt back in.
    https://garbaruk.com/media/wysiwyg/7_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Might anyone have a video of this cage extension install on their 2.1 version DR?
    I don't know what the problem is. The cage will not stay in position after I wind it up and tighten the fixing bolt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well to those of you out there trying to do this yourself, be aware.
    I thought, "well maybe I wasn't spinning the cage around enough times for this to work", so I tried to go around a 3rd time.
    Destroyed the spring. Fantastic.

Garbaruk posts several cassette installation vids on their site, why not vids of the cage extensions? Who doesn't know how to install a cassette at this point anyway?
    Their site pictures regarding the fixing bolt and winding steps are not clear at all. Does the cage need to stay popped out while you wind it around like the picture shows? Should it be pushed into the body before winding? Do you tighten the fixing bolt as you wind each revolution? Do you not?
    Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-20180926_214039.jpg
    Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-20180926_214049.jpg
    |
    |
    Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-1.jpg
    Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-2.jpg
    Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-3.jpg
    Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-5.jpg
    Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-6.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm selling XD 10-50 garbaruk cassette with an XT RD with garbaruk cage. $150 let me know if your interested. it's in pretty good shape, only used since august I believe.
    Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-img_20181012_220602.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Pretty sure this cassette needs an eagle chain. Gonna have to pick one up tomorrow because I can't get mine to stop catching on the adjacent cog in 8th and 9th gear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Pretty sure this cassette needs an eagle chain. Gonna have to pick one up tomorrow because I can't get mine to stop catching on the adjacent cog in 8th and 9th gear.
    I may have spoken to soon, I think I may have got it working happily and quietly. Eagle chains would be a good investment though if choosing this cassette. Tolerances are definitely tight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Well to those of you out there trying to do this yourself, be aware.
    I thought, "well maybe I wasn't spinning the cage around enough times for this to work", so I tried to go around a 3rd time.
    Destroyed the spring. Fantastic.

Garbaruk posts several cassette installation vids on their site, why not vids of the cage extensions? Who doesn't know how to install a cassette at this point anyway?
    Their site pictures regarding the fixing bolt and winding steps are not clear at all. Does the cage need to stay popped out while you wind it around like the picture shows? Should it be pushed into the body before winding? Do you tighten the fixing bolt as you wind each revolution? Do you not?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180926_214039.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	1218103

Name:	20180926_214049.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	1218104
    |
    |

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	1218105

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	1218106

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	1218107

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	1218109

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	1218110
    Wind it around pushed in but you'll have to do it before fitting the stopper bolt to the cage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    OK after a couple of rides, several tear downs of the derailleur and hours and hours of adjustment and indexing I'm convinced a narrower eagle chain is needed to stop my chain catching on the adjacent teeth when in 9th and 8th gears. Short of filing down teeth on a brand new cassette I can't get it to be happy in those gears. It seems the ramping in all the other gears negates the issue and it's only the 9th and 8th I'm having problems with. The lock ring also came loose today on the second ride and the cassette started creaking badly (luckily able to stop riding as I was only at a skills park with my son), got home and tightened it and now silent again. I have a Shimano steel lock ring here I'll use if it happens again.

What makes this frustrating is that I bought 2 of these cassettes and the XD version on my other bike has no such problems and I've done more miles on it so far, both are running brand new PC-X1 chains.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Eagle chain fitted and it's masked most of my issue but I think my derailleur needs replacing. Odd though how the Sunrace 11-46t I had before never had a problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    You were absolutely right. Another MTBR member sold me their busted/broken X01 derailleur for $15 so I snagged the spring out of that one. It turns out the silver stopper bolt in Garbaruk's pictures don't exist on the X01 deraillleur, so I didn't realize I needed to swap the black stopper bolt instead. I thought for sure the pictures were showing the version 2 RD not the 2.1, so I didn't pay attention to it.
    I got it all figured out though, it only needs to be spun around once until that stopper bolt gets to the right spot.

I do have another question though. After it's all said and done under zero cable tension, I noticed that the cage extension piece contacts the plastic cable pulley guide thing. Is that normal?
    Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-20181031_182316.jpg
    Wind it around pushed in but you'll have to do it before fitting the stopper bolt to the cage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the tip. I ended up ordering a 126L Eagle chain, should have this all done by nex weekend.
    OK after a couple of rides, several tear downs of the derailleur and hours and hours of adjustment and indexing I'm convinced a narrower eagle chain is needed to stop my chain catching on the adjacent teeth when in 9th and 8th gears. Short of filing down teeth on a brand new cassette I can't get it to be happy in those gears. It seems the ramping in all the other gears negates the issue and it's only the 9th and 8th I'm having problems with. The lock ring also came loose today on the second ride and the cassette started creaking badly (luckily able to stop riding as I was only at a skills park with my son), got home and tightened it and now silent again. I have a Shimano steel lock ring here I'll use if it happens again.

What makes this frustrating is that I bought 2 of these cassettes and the XD version on my other bike has no such problems and I've done more miles on it so far, both are running brand new PC-X1 chains.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    The Garbaruk cassettes look quite good on paper, but it appears that they have some quirks and compatibility issues.
    What is the best combination of derailleur and shifter to use with the XD version of the cassette (10-XX)? I'm yet to buy anything so I can use whatever works best.
    I also saw that some hubs have end cap issues and you need to file them a bit. Have anyone used Garbaruk with Newmen's hubs?

P.S. It appears that they updated the XD version of their cassette - https://www.garbaruk.com/blog/xd-upd. Has anyone tried the new one?

mtbr member
    I'm using SRAM X1 deraileur and shifter (11speed) with the Garbaruk 10-50 and cage, matched to a 34 oval Garbaruk ring and 12 speed SRAM GX chain. Works flawlessly!
    (DT swiss 350 hubs)
    GT Zaskar '97
    GT Sensor Carbon '14
    GT Grade Carbon '17
    GT Bump '17
    GT Zaskar Carbon LTD '16
    GT Sanction Team '17

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My XX1 shifter and derailleur have been flawless with the XD Garbaruk cassette and PC-X1 chain. It's only the Shimano version I've had issues with. Possibly compounded by a suspect derailleur.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    So it appears that SRAM don't have issues. That's confirmed on their site too, mentioning that Shimano derailleurs don't shift very smoothly with the XD cassette. They say there is an option to use a SRAM shifter with a Shimano derailleur, but it seems a bit weird to me. That's a bummer, because I really like Shimano's shifters (maybe because I never used SRAM).
    That's a bit of an off-topic but here it goes:
    I know SRAM can downshift multiple gears with a single long push, but can they upshift x2 gears (i think it's called Multi Release) like XT and XTR?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Zayphod View Post
    So it appears that SRAM don't have issues. That's confirmed on their site too, mentioning that Shimano derailleurs don't shift very smoothly with the XD cassette. They say there is an option to use a SRAM shifter with a Shimano derailleur, but it seems a bit weird to me. That's a bummer, because I really like Shimano's shifters (maybe because I never used SRAM).
    That's a bit of an off-topic but here it goes:
    I know SRAM can downshift multiple gears with a single long push, but can they upshift x2 gears (i think it's called Multi Release) like XT and XTR?
    No they can't. 1 upshift at a time. It's a much lighter, faster and easier push of the lever though. So easy that sometimes I double upshift by accident when shifting over bumpy terrain as my thumb double taps the lever.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Still having issues with my Shimano setup. Lock ring still coming loose and the chain still catches on adjacent cogs in 8th and 9th gears only. I have previously emailed Garbaruk about this via their website contact form but received no reply. I have just emailed them again directly from my email provider. I have replaced the derailleur chasing this chain skipping issue in 8th and 9th and that was not the problem so I'm now annoyed that it has cost me money for no reason.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    I trashed first derailleur after 5 rides and the newest one has already had the same thing happen a few times. With the high cost of SRAM components, my preference is a more reliable and economical shimano 11spd setup.

Was considering XT M8000 der.
    I'm finding this with the GX 11 speed setup. 3 Broken mech hangers and made a right mess of the rear mech.

I'm also considering switching back to shimano rear mech (The XT mech is cheaper in the UK than the GX I have). I'll never switch to 12sp.
    I would consider a 10-46 cassette for the extra climbing range and losing some weight would be a bonus when it comes to shouldering the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Has anyone tried WolfCage from Wolf Tooth?
    I wonder which would work better on a Shimano setup - it or Garbaruk's cage

P.S. Can't the problems with the lock ring becoming loose after a bit of riding be solved with some threadlock?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

P.S. Can't the problems with the lock ring becoming loose after a bit of riding be solved with some threadlock?
    Ever removed a rounded out, stripped locking? It's not fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Ever removed a rounded out, stripped locking? It's not fun.
    Yes, it's not fun at all, but if you end up rounding your locking, then you most definitively don't suffer from a loose one.
    Dealing with threadlocker is quite simple - you just have to apply heat before doing everything else.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

FWIW I'm running a Garbaruk 11-48 and Shimano m9000 GS w/ Wolfcage. It's a slight improvement over stock but it didn't help my issue with chain rub against the 11T and 13T while backpedaling. And even more annoying is that my chain would skip while forward pedalling in the 11T (with my limit screws, etc. adjusted correctly).

In any case, I haven't tried the Garbaruk cage. I do like what Wolftooth did with their cage over full replacement cages because a) it allows you to keep your stock outer cage, i.e. the carbon on the XTR, b) install is super easy, c) the replacement pulley appears to have an improved bearing over stock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by burndtjamb View Post
    FWIW I'm running a Garbaruk 11-48 and Shimano m9000 GS w/ Wolfcage. It's a slight improvement over stock but it didn't help my issue with chain rub against the 11T and 13T while backpedaling. And even more annoying is that my chain would skip while forward pedalling in the 11T (with my limit screws, etc. adjusted correctly).

In any case, I haven't tried the Garbaruk cage. I do like what Wolftooth did with their cage over full replacement cages because a) it allows you to keep your stock outer cage, i.e. the carbon on the XTR, b) install is super easy, c) the replacement pulley appears to have an improved bearing over stock.
    How did you setup your B Tension?

I find that if you decrease your B Tension the 11T skipping goes away while the 42 to 50T shifts "unconventionally" with noise.

Did you also try with a longer chain?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Had a few emails back and forth with Garbaruk now about my issues. Their slow, and thus far unhelpful responses are frustrating to say the least.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicShite View Post
    How did you setup your B Tension?

I find that if you decrease your B Tension the 11T skipping goes away while the 42 to 50T shifts "unconventionally" with noise.

Did you also try with a longer chain?
    B-tension was set to minimize cage contact with the cassette teeth while shifting to the largest cogs. Is that what you meant by decreasing B tension? The shape of the Wolfcage also helps minimize this contact over the stock cage.

I did try running a longer chain to accommodate the larger cog, but there was so much slack in the 11T that I had to shorten it. As a result I have to be mindful when shifting to the 48T that I lockout my suspension to avoid chain growth through suspension travel. Perhaps running an RD w/ longer cage might have helped with this.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Garbaruk say they're sending me a new cassette. Hopefully that fixes my shifting and lockring issues.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Had a few emails back and forth with Garbaruk now about my issues. Their slow, and thus far unhelpful responses are frustrating to say the least.
    Yeah I'm NOT impressed with Garbagaruk either. I ordered a chainring from them 6 weeks ago and i'm still waiting. Its still in a shipping container in the Black Sea as far as I can tell... Apparently the shipping company "lost" my order but they gave me the same tracking number so i doubt that. You would think they would have put a rush on it at that point and sent it expedited but no..

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Not tried the Garbaruk yet but extensive experience with the E-13 TRS+ 10-46T cassette. Several thoughts:
    1. Easy install on a P321 hub and DT240 hub - hardly any more work than an XX1 cassette and one only needs one chain whip to install.
    2. Used both models ie the early one with the lock ring (this is a pfaff as getting the right set up to get a torque wrench onto the adaptor is a pain). Latest model with the small pinch bolt is far easier to install.
    3. Cassette comes with grease on the interface teeth and tabs. Grease as per instructions on XD drive and cassette and despite hundreds of water crossings the cassette has been creak free.
    4. Plus points is that the separate parts can be ordered independently. The weakness is the largest three cogs are aluminium and they wear faster. My 33T on my Sight is skipping (despite new chain and complete drive train check) after 1700 km. The other cassette on my Range is still good and crisp after 1000 km. The Sight does get a dusty/ wet exposure (river crossings) thrashing in the Chilcotin and I use that 33T a lot. The 39T and 46T are bail out gears for me.
    5. No set up issues with XTR Di2, easy to set B-tension and then index and refine upper and lower limits (but Di2 is the easiest to set up).
    6. The cassette is light, better built than SRAM GX and 150 grams lighter than Shimano XT.
    7. Cassette is a PITA to remove especially when worn. It is best approached as a two person job with two really good chain whips and each person using their spare hand to really hold the chain onto the cassette teeth otherwise the chain slips. Expect skinned knuckles if you attempt this solo.

Its greatest advantage is that the gear spread is better than either XX1 or Eagle or XT. The 50-42T jump/ drop on Eagle is too large in my opinion. The 46 to 37T jump/ drop on XT also feels slow or awkward despite a perfectly set up shifting system.

I have a lot of miles on XX1 and XO1 (11 speed), XO1 Eagle and a hybrid XTR Di2/ XX1 11 speed cassette set up. The e13 cassette is just as smooth as the XX1 but those upper cogs wear faster.

The Garbaruk 48-42-36 steps represent a smooth sequence and should work really well with a 30T or 32T depending on where you ride/ what you ride and fitness. I ride a 29" and have steep climbs so a 30T front ring is perfect for me.

But I would love Garbaruk to make the perfect 11 speed consumer mountain bike (not riding to the shops) cassette: 48-42-36-32-28-24-21-18-16-14-12 coming it at about 300-310 grams.
    Lovely smooth shifts to reduce wear on the chain and cassette. Combine with a 30T or 32T front depending on the low gear ratio one wants to spin.
    XTR Di2
    2018 Norco Sight C9.1
    2018 Norco Range C9.1
    #weareone #stagescycling #9point8ca #rideshimano #pocsports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123