Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    975

    First time with 1x10 build and could use advice on my plan.

    Hi all,
    I'm building up a hard tail 29er and am moving from a 2x9 setup to 1x10 for the first time. I'm looking for advice on my planned route. My local terrain features short, but steep ups and downs, and I feel a 40t large cog would be plenty if combined with a 28 or 30T chain ring.

    Shifter: Saint 10speed. I like to mount the shifter inside my XTR brakes and like the longer levers.

    Rear D: XT or XTR. not sure if I need clutch? or if I can get away with a mid-cage. No chain stretch since it's a hardtail.

    Cassette: 10 Speed XT with a Wolf Tooth 40 cog. Not sure if there are better alternatives (Hope, IRD complete, etc.)

    Crank: Considering RaceFace Turbine with single 30T (4 bolt) narrow-wide or maybe 28 (spiderless). The spiderless design seems like it would be more fragile, and I'm definitely in the "if it's not broke don't fix it" camp. 4 bolt has never been a problem, so I'd Cinch it only to get a 28 tooth ring on there.

    Any thoughts or advice on this setup would be appreciated. Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Anthracite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    14

    Good job!

    Hi, Creeker.

    I currently own a 29er hardtail 2x10 and a full sus 1x10.

    My 1x10 setup:

    XT M780 Cassete with e*thirteen 42T cog.
    Race Face 30T narrow-wide ring attached to XT M780 Cranks.
    XT M780 long cage rear derailleur.

    I think 40T with 30T chainring is still a hard gear if your local tracks are short and steep where you need cadence and control. I'd recommend using 42T with 28T chainring, which will give you the same torque as 36T with 24T does and you get more controlled pedalling through loose rocks or roots. (you can have an idea if you have used previous XT/XTR/SLX 3x or 2x gearing). Anyway, we can calculate the ratio of the gearing as follows:

    Biggest cog / chainring teeth count. We'll take common 36T/24T as base. Higher number, easier gear, more cadence.

    36T/24T = 1.5
    42T/28T = 1.5
    42T/30T = 1.4
    40T/28T = 1.428
    40T/30T = 1.333

    In respect to Cinch vs 4-bolt, I prefer bolts as it's proven and haven't failed.

    I'd use XT M8000 clutch-equipped GS (medium cage). The GS looks better than SGS, saves a little weight and have less chance to be smashed by rocks. Also, if you want a silent ride, you could set your chain a link shorter than normal.

    I agree with Saint I-Spec B shifters. Durable, and good performers.

    Well, Creeker, I hope I helped you. We can keep discussing your build if you want.

  3. #3
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,477
    I agree. Sounds like 28/40 on 29r, 30/40 on 27.5 terrain gearing to me.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    975
    Thanks for the help guys!
    I'll go with the 28/40 combo and will stick with the Shimano drive train. I may go with Cinch just for the sake of future proofing...as if that's a thing in this sport.

  5. #5
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,908
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    Thanks for the help guys!
    I'll go with the 28/40 combo and will stick with the Shimano drive train. I may go with Cinch just for the sake of future proofing...as if that's a thing in this sport.
    The cinch system is pretty nice with the DM rings, and you can always ad a spider back to it if you want to later on.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    975
    It looks like the M8000 rear D is an 11-speed. Will this work with a 10-speed setup?
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthracite View Post
    Hi, Creeker.

    I currently own a 29er hardtail 2x10 and a full sus 1x10.

    My 1x10 setup:

    XT M780 Cassete with e*thirteen 42T cog.
    Race Face 30T narrow-wide ring attached to XT M780 Cranks.
    XT M780 long cage rear derailleur.

    I think 40T with 30T chainring is still a hard gear if your local tracks are short and steep where you need cadence and control. I'd recommend using 42T with 28T chainring, which will give you the same torque as 36T with 24T does and you get more controlled pedalling through loose rocks or roots. (you can have an idea if you have used previous XT/XTR/SLX 3x or 2x gearing). Anyway, we can calculate the ratio of the gearing as follows:

    Biggest cog / chainring teeth count. We'll take common 36T/24T as base. Higher number, easier gear, more cadence.

    36T/24T = 1.5
    42T/28T = 1.5
    42T/30T = 1.4
    40T/28T = 1.428
    40T/30T = 1.333

    In respect to Cinch vs 4-bolt, I prefer bolts as it's proven and haven't failed.

    I'd use XT M8000 clutch-equipped GS (medium cage). The GS looks better than SGS, saves a little weight and have less chance to be smashed by rocks. Also, if you want a silent ride, you could set your chain a link shorter than normal.

    I agree with Saint I-Spec B shifters. Durable, and good performers.

    Well, Creeker, I hope I helped you. We can keep discussing your build if you want.

  7. #7
    Here, diagonally!
    Reputation: JACKL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,050
    Personally, I'd go with the Praxis 11-40 cassette as the ratios are more evenly spaced compared to the Wolftooth / Oneup setups where you replace the 15t and 17t with a 16t. I'd also run a Goatlink even though it's not necessary with the Praxis.

  8. #8
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,477
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Personally, I'd go with the Praxis 11-40 cassette as the ratios are more evenly spaced compared to the Wolftooth / Oneup setups where you replace the 15t and 17t with a 16t. I'd also run a Goatlink even though it's not necessary with the Praxis.
    Several reviews are showing the Sunrace 11/40 working better with the Praxxis shifting running on par with the modified ad on cog setups.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

  9. #9
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,477
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    It looks like the M8000 rear D is an 11-speed. Will this work with a 10-speed setup?
    Yes, with a Shimano 10 spd shifter.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

  10. #10
    Here, diagonally!
    Reputation: JACKL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,050
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Several reviews are showing the Sunrace 11/40 working better with the Praxxis shifting running on par with the modified ad on cog setups.
    Yeah actually had not looked at the Sunrace; looks like another option better than swapping in a 16t. Also they have a 42t version. I am mainly thinking about having even spacing between gears. The cassettes where you swap in a 16t have 23% difference in the 8-9 shift, and an 11% difference in the 6-7 shift. Very inconsistent. The Praxis and Sunrace cassettes have more evenly spaced ratios.

  11. #11
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,477
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Yeah actually had not looked at the Sunrace; looks like another option better than swapping in a 16t. Also they have a 42t version. I am mainly thinking about having even spacing between gears. The cassettes where you swap in a 16t have 23% difference in the 8-9 shift, and an 11% difference in the 6-7 shift. Very inconsistent. The Praxis and Sunrace cassettes have more evenly spaced ratios.
    Yeah agree on spacing and not dissin Praxxis, could've been combination of different type chains used or rougher machining on cogs needing some wear in time.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    975
    After some more research, I think it might be easier (and cheaper) to just go with a shimano 11-speed setup. I didn't realize their 11-speed cassette is compatible with a standard drive shell (I assumed I would have had to buy the $200 king xd driver).

    So now I'm thinking xt 11-speed shifter/rear d, 11-40 11-speed cassette and Raceface cinch crank with a 28 tooth ring.

    Running a 10-speed would likely cost more due to $70 add-on cog and possbily a goat link.

  13. #13
    Here, diagonally!
    Reputation: JACKL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,050
    That makes sense. Personally I prefer less gears with the same range, but I'm sure I'm in the minority there. And a bone-stock Shimano setup would likely have more refined shifting as compared to the aftermarket stuff, although they can both be set up to work well.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    178
    I live in Dallas, where all the descents and climbs are short... I run a 1x10 on my FS, with a 10-40 (one Up cog) rear cassette and 32 tooth chain-ring. It is all I need here. A 30 tooth or heaven forbid a 28 tooth chain-ring would be overkill... unless you're climbing a building.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    658
    Nah, not climbing any buildings here but there are few local rides with 3-4 miles of consistent climbing. I'm building a 1x11 with a 28t chainring and an 11-40 cassette.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    178
    Cool. You would know your terrain the best! There is nothing "long and steep" in Dallas, lol.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OwenM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    My local terrain features short, but steep ups and downs
    How short?
    If you're talking stuff that can be measured in yards as opposed to km or miles, then you might be better off using the same gear, or close to it, that you were using while seated on the flats to briefly stand and mash than continually running up and down the cassette to stay in the saddle.
    What gears were you using with your 2x9 setup?

    I flirted with the idea of a 28T chainring, and am still debating an 11-40T to go with my 32T oval, but only because I've been riding more frequently at a place with a 1.7 mile climb that I am simply not in good enough shape to do at this point.
    We don't have many long climbs like that around here, though, and I'd frankly rather walk for a few minutes than go much lower than my current lowest 32T/36T combo, because it's an awful lot of effort for the forward progress if I can't maintain a cadence with that. That's just me, though...

Similar Threads

  1. 1x10 drivetrain build advice
    By DECIM8 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 07:46 PM
  2. Changing Bikes from 1x10 to SS - Change in training plan
    By jaycastlerock in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-30-2013, 11:58 AM
  3. Training: Time Crunched Cyclist Timing and Plan Advice
    By strat819 in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2013, 10:23 AM
  4. Plan, Love, Time - My Bike
    By mhwong529 in forum Videos and POV Cameras
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-10-2012, 01:10 PM
  5. First Time SS Build Need Some Advice
    By CS2 in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-11-2011, 09:17 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.