since 4/10/2009

Favorite BSA30 bb

I'm building a Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead and am slowly ordering parts for my build. I hope to get it on the trail this spring.

Anyway, I just ordered the crankset I'll be using with the bike (RF Turbine CINCH) so now it's time to start thinking about what BB to use. There's a bsa30 in the bike stable, but it's on the wife's gravel bike that she doesn't ride often, so I haven't had to touch it. It's some cheap FSA or another. Otherwise, I've not had to look into this particular bb fit before.

At any rate, I wouldn't say budget is no object for my Pedalhead build, but it might as well be. I want good quality stuff on it. But more than that, I want very high reliability and serviceability.

Is the King threadfit 30 bb high enough on the reliability and serviceability scale to be worth it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossmaxx View Post
    thx for that. of course it didn't come up in a search

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Never had a problem with a King product (x several headsets, x3 pairs of hubs, and a BB) but then similarly i haven't had a problem with any Hope stuff (pretty much everything they make x many)
    Last edited by Tom Howard; 5 Days Ago at 02:14 PM. Reason: typo

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Howard View Post
    Never had a problem with a King product (x several headsets, x3 pairs of hubs, and a BB) but then similarly i haven't had a problem with any Hope stuff (pretty much everything they make x many)
    I'm thinking about the King bb because it's built with bearing serviceability in mind (most bb's aren't, and servicing them involves removing the dust shields on cartridge bearings that aren't really MADE for that purpose). I read every now and then about King bb's being very nearly a lifetime product. If it would last that much longer than other, less expensive options, then it seems to me like the cost would be worth it. Even if I have to give it fresh grease every couple hundred miles. That doesn't bother me. I freshen up the grease on lots of parts on my bike every few hundred miles or so, anyway.

Hope really isn't on my radar for this project. I've got Hope hubs on another bike and they've been good, but I wore out the original bearings in them fairly soon. I'd honestly rather buy a Wheels Mfg bb if I was going the "cheaper" route.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I went with the Hawk BSA30 because in an independent test it had nearly the very lowest frictional losses, while being SS and more reasonably priced that the 1-2 Ceramic BBs that scored very slightly better than it.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    I went with the Hawk BSA30 because in an independent test it had nearly the very lowest frictional losses, while being SS and more reasonably priced that the 1-2 Ceramic BBs that scored very slightly better than it.
    Interesting. Though the one with the CX seals actually costs more than the King bb, though. Also mentions the extra seals make the bb more draggy, so the frictional losses issue is probably moot at that point. Given where I live and ride (the Pisgah national RAINforest), if extra bearing seals are an option, then I'm going to buy them. Many rides in the area involve creek crossings hub deep, and some require walking through water thigh deep. My bearings WILL get submerged.

Magically Delicious
    I have been exceptionally happy with my Wheels Manufacturing BSA30 bb. I have a little over 4,000 completely trouble-free miles on it now.

I do not own a King BB, but I regularly maintain a couple of them for some friends. So, I guess that give me opinion rights. Wonderfully built bottom brackets and great bearings. However, by using the expensive grease tool, I have found it grossly over packs the bearings. This might be fine if you spend a large amount of time submerging through creeks, but it places significant rotational drag on the cranks. My suggestion is if you want reasonable rotational friction, then treat those CK bearings like any other bearing and hand service them. Then, you control the grease load and pack them to perform much better than you will experience with the CK grease tool.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

No known cure
    I just ordered a E13 BSA 30mm BB through Competitive Cyclist for $43 and change plus 15% off with a coupon code. I tossed in some other consumables to get the order over $50 for free two day shipping.

I was going to order the RWC bearing kit and rebuild the cups I have but the price was the same, and there's a warranty on the E13 BB
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I just ordered a E13 BSA 30mm BB through Competitive Cyclist for $43 and change plus 15% off with a coupon code. I tossed in some other consumables to get the order over $50 for free two day shipping.
    Do you have a tool to install it?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Do you have a tool to install it?
    Yes. The cranks, BB, tool and 34t E13 chainring were a rare for me raffle win at a race. The cranks were discontinued and 180mm, but the whole enchilada was perfect for a SS build.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Magically Delicious
    ^^^^ score!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I scored a couple of Rotor BSA30's off eBay for cheap a few months back. They seemed like nice units that had pretty beefy units. Time will tell if they stand the test of time on the fat bike torture machine.

mtbr member
    Another vote for wheels manufacturing. I've owned 3 total now and just ordered another one for my Rallon as the stock sram started popping/clicking after about 400 miles or so. I have one in a 2013 stumpy evo (pf 30) that's still going strong which I consider miraculous given how long bb's typically last me. Buying one for my newest bike was a no-brainer.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Another vote for wheels manufacturing. I've owned 3 total now and just ordered another one for my Rallon as the stock sram started popping/clicking after about 400 miles or so. I have one in a 2013 stumpy evo (pf 30) that's still going strong which I consider miraculous given how long bb's typically last me. Buying one for my newest bike was a no-brainer.
    I am leaning this direction. Difference between wheels and top priced stuff like king seems small enough that the price premium is hard to justify.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Magically Delicious

Elitest thrill junkie
    nm.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Iíve got this sitting on the shelf. Literally threaded it on the frame then realized I mixed the crank specs with another bike. Listed it in the classifieds a while ago, no one was interested.

Iím currently happy with the correct sized ones on 2 different bikes. Think itíll fit for you. PM if you want to discuss. https://forums.mtbr.com/asset.php?fi...5&d=1482942751
    (Sorry canít figure out how to put pics inline via tablet)

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Iíve got this sitting on the shelf. Literally threaded it on the frame then realized I mixed the crank specs with another bike. Listed it in the classifieds a while ago, no one was interested.

Iím currently happy with the correct sized ones on 2 different bikes. Think itíll fit for you. PM if you want to discuss. https://forums.mtbr.com/asset.php?fi...5&d=1482942751
    I am getting permissions errors on my phone if I try to use that link.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Favorite BSA30 bb

Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post

Use tapatalk instead? Or just upload elsewhere and use the [ img ] tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I am getting permissions errors on my phone if I try to use that link.

Check back tomorrow when I can get to desktop and reference the photos already uploaded to my MTBR account. It doesnít like ďdrag photos hereĒ. They are not on mobile device anymore to use Tapatalk.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Real World Cycling - Angular contact, 440C stainless, external BB30. All parts as shown, no center sleeve.
    Favorite BSA30 bb-dsc_0086.jpgFavorite BSA30 bb-dsc_0087.jpgFavorite BSA30 bb-dsc_0088.jpgFavorite BSA30 bb-dsc_0089.jpg

and now I can find my classified add as well
    https://forums.mtbr.com/classifieds/...t-1031081.html

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/prod...CBSA30-SS.html