Fast Road commuting + passable loaded touring performance is there a compromise?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Fast Road commuting + passable loaded touring performance is there a compromise?

My 50km ride to work and back is mostly on road, or tarmacked tracks and pretty flat with a few long gradual rises and downhills. My commuter is set up all 10 Speed 105 Triple 50 39 30, Med cage Ultegra 6700 RD, 11 28 Cassette and flatbar shifters SL R770 and a SL R 773 FD. I got all the ultegra stuff and crankset for a few beers and an old pram from a mate whose roadie had been wrecked in a car accident and got a shiny new CF roadie off the drivers insurance..
    This works absolutely brilliant on my daily commute, with a decent set of wheels and good touring tires I can average 10 to 12 Kmph more than with the stock acera set up and the stupid semi knobbly crap on and crap off tarmac stock tires that hybrid manufacturers seem to love.
    The only issue comes when I load it up with racks and head of into the hills the 30 28 bottom combi on 700C wheels is not low enough and I end up puffing and panting at about 35RPM or out of the saddle making 40 - 50.
    I love the set up for daily use that 10 Speed 50 / 39 and matching 11/28 cassette and RD give me allowing me to maintain a steady 80+RPM so would not want to switch the cassette to a 11 - 36 XT cassette, don't think the roadie RD would work too well with that angle anyway
    I can live without the shifting performance between the granny and the 39T chainring so is it possible to get a 24T chainring for a 105 triple? - (The FD will work, just - if my measuring is accurate) - secondly I could loose the shifting performance between the 28 and 26 sprockets is it be possible to put a 32 or 34T top sprocket in place of the 28 on the 10 speed spider? I worked it out a 24 32 would theoretically allow me to handle the local area touring whilst maintaining an acceptable if a little low cadence.
    At the end of the day the 250Km to work and back each week is the bikes reason d'etre just would like advice pointers on setting it up with as low as possible bottom combi for the occasional weekend with racks; any help from those with more experience of this kind of stuff greatly appreciated

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    You may want to try the road bike review forums for this kind of question. There will undoubtedly be more experience with these items in that user base.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks, will do

Members who have read this thread: 0