easiest pedal to clip out of?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

easiest pedal to clip out of?

what do people think the easiest pedal to clip out of is?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    For me, my old Look S2R pedals, followed by Eggbeaters. But with any pedal the shoe affects the ease of release.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Jul 2005
    Shimano pedals with the tension set to as loose as possible and using the multiple release angle cleats. I've used 949's and 647's.

cheers,

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by crashing_arizona
    Shimano pedals with the tension set to as loose as possible and using the multiple release angle cleats. I've used 949's and 647's.

cheers,
    ...of course you may then have trouble staying clipped in.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by vortrex
    The alltime easiest has got to be the Speedplay Frogs. There are no springs to create tension.

The next is a toss up between Eggbeaters and loosly adjusted high-end Shimanos. I never pull out of my Eggbeaters and it takes like 10 grams of pressure to make a release. Perfection!

banned
    When it comes to trouble on a cliff or the top of a car or whatever, I can always get out of my Time pedals. When it is broken bones, or a non-event, the Times have never failed me. Getting out in that state of panic is something that you have to do, but the Times have allowed me to do it for years. It is no fun getting "stuck" in your pedal when you need out. Times don't do that to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    thanks, was thinking of getting some eggbeaters just to try. I have a new pair of shimano "all purpose" shoes so was thinking of giving it a go. are the cleats that eggbeater SL's come with multi-release?

Jul 2005
    The multi-release angle cleats are Shimano SPD pedal specific. I believe you can get eggbeater cleats that have been slightly ground down to facilitate easier release from Speedgoat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Frogs have no spring tension to overcome so they are the easiest, surest release I'm aware of. The downside is that I'm not always sure I'm in. I think Time XS pedals are an all around better set-up but not quite as easy to get out of.
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hands down....frogs! They are also the most knee friendly pedals out there. No centering tension = no knee stress. They allow your knee to crank in it's most natural path. I've had three knee surgeries and have had no problems with the frogs. When you rotate your heel out your foot falls right off the pedal with no effort. Pure genious design. The downside is that some people can't seem to get used to the feel of NOT having tension on their feet and they don't like them.

Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    ...of course you may then have trouble staying clipped in.
    Yeah Shiggy is right about the staying in part but yes, Shimano 949 and Multi-Release cleats are really highly recommended for beginners as they allow for panic releases very easily. I gave my old 949s to a rider who has never used SPDs before and she has never had a problem bailing out even in an emergency.

Anyway, I have upgraded to Times ATAC XS and I can say the attachment is firmer but I guess once you are used to clipless pedals, your feet tend to kick out automatically.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I just got some Candy C pedal and i am amazed off easy they are to release comapred to my SPD pedal... And the Candy actually hold your cleat/shoe a lot better the my old SPD...

mtbr member
    Eggbeater Candy SL's are the $hit. Four way entry, hold zero mud or snow and you clip out/in very easy. I've done a few endo's where my bike stayed in place and I went flying. All I heard were the two clicks of my feet leaving the pedal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The easies pedal to get out of is the one you are currently used to. Having said that, if you do not have any, or are looking to invest some time into getting used to a new pedal, I would go with one of these three options. I started with the frogs, and transitioned to the eggbeaters. At first I hated the eggbeaters, and it took about 12 rides. Now they are on all my bikes. A friend took the same route. Frogs, then eggbeaters. He is now back on frogs, and I got a free set of eggbeaters for the road bike. Pedals are almost as personal as saddles, and what one person thinks is the shizit, another will curse. I think you will see that there is nothing new here, and that is probably for a reason. These are in no apparent order...

Speedplay frogs-no tension, large amount of float, BUT do not release to the inside. There are very vew occations where you would need to get out to the inside, but I seem to have found those three situations. Require occational grease purge to keep bearing/bushings in order.

Time ATACs-rotational as well as lateral float, less float than frogs, heaviest of the group per price point, least maintenance of the group due to sealed cartridge bearing design (which I hear might be changing for the worse soon).

Eggbeaters-two options of float (i think 12 and 18 degrees), lightweight bang for the buck, require occational grease purge to keep bearings/bushings in order.

I am not a big fan of shimano due to mud/ice issues, but again someone will tell you different. Good luck.
    Grammar and spelling errors are complementary.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I haev some shimano spd's and when I get sand in them (going through sandy areas), I literally have to rip my feet out of the pedals. Not sure if this is the case with other pedals as this is the only set I have.

Once I was off the bike, one foot on the ground, and the left foot still would not unclip.

Quote Originally Posted by vortrex

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm fairly new to clipless and went for some mid-line Shimanos. I haven't had the opportunity to try the Crankbros or Time pedals, though I've heard good things about both. Myself, I see the Shimanos as cheap and plentiful. I've got mine set fairly loose (I don't like gobs of centering tension) and I find I still don't have issues staying in or getting out.

My main problems with the Shimmy's are clipping in when I've had a foot down in the thick Alberta slop that passes for mud...my shoes and the pedals don't clear the mud overly well.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My ranking from most difficult to get out of to easiest is:

1. SPD
    2. Time ATAC
    3. Eggbeater

I've only ridden with the eggs a few times but I'm amazed out how comfortable they are and easy to get out of.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    I'm fairly new to clipless and went for some mid-line Shimanos. I haven't had the opportunity to try the Crankbros or Time pedals, though I've heard good things about both. Myself, I see the Shimanos as cheap and plentiful. I've got mine set fairly loose (I don't like gobs of centering tension) and I find I still don't have issues staying in or getting out.

My main problems with the Shimmy's are clipping in when I've had a foot down in the thick Alberta slop that passes for mud...my shoes and the pedals don't clear the mud overly well.
    Any of the newer pedals that are more open will clear mud pretty well.
    Bare spring like Eggbeaters and Times handles mud the best, but they don't allow tension adjustment.

Your bike is incorrigible
    These are easy to get in and out of, and they are very easy on the wallet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Music & Bikes
    Easiest to get I/O ;
    Handsdown Frogs.

All my bike have Speedplays now......
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Jan 2005

Watch out for Time...

If you're not used to clipless...be warned that the Time system will almost guarantee you'll fall
    I've had a set of 647's for 5 years and they worked perfectly for me. Sure they're heavy - but they are comfortable and very good for beginners. I bought a pair of Time Z-Control this year and after 5 rides I've decided ...to get a pair of 545's instead...the float you get in the Time may be more ergonomically correct...but I'd rather un-clip just in time.
    Again, every pedal is rough when it's new....so invest your money in some elbow pads

May 2006
    i like my time atac xs, never caused issues clipping in or out, but i'mpretty sure never the less, there will be times where you cannot react fast enough to clip out. as rare as it may be, it happened to me

Saving lives with knives.
    I agree that the frogs are the easiest to get out of, almost to easy. I didn't care for the release characteristic of these. I personally really like my egg beaters, they are very easy to get in and out of--the only small issue is getting out of them while you are at the top of your pedal stroke--but there is a little cleat mod that will alleviate this...
    Formerly known as iceaxe

Jan 2006
    I'll have to put a vote in for Time ATACs, i have managed to unclip both feet whilst endo'ing and in a different accident, unclipping both feet whilst falling off a log...

Reviewer/Tester
    Easiest to get out of for me were Speedplay Frogs.

However.........sometimes you get out of them when you don't want to..

Nevertheless, I think that the frogs are the best clip-ins for beginners.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

the goose is loose!
    i like my shimano 540s. then again, i live in the desert and mud is almost never an issue unless it's man-made. i only have to worry about a bit of dust. and i have an air compressor so i'm set. my right pedal is giving me a bit of grief though. it may be the cleat. it seems to get stuck halfway out. kinda like it's snagged. here isn't any dirt in there. but the cleat were thrashed on some wellgo pedals that i absolutely hated. the HARDEST things to get on, and it was not too easy exiting the pedals either. the left slides out like butter with my 540s. you guys think it could be new cleats that i need?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have the m424 spd pedal mated to a sh56 multi release cleat and they're pretty easy to unclip especially in emergency situations that you need to. If you dial in the right amount of tension it doesn't unexpectedly unclip as others have experienced.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I ve only used time atacs and eggbeater pedals, the egg beaters by far are easier to get out of.

The atacs took a while to loosen up and although they were more stable knowing I couldnt get out easy in a real tech areas wasn't comforting.

On the other side my egg beaters unclip when i don't want them to , i.e over really big log piles... I guess its a trade off.

flow where ever you go

PD 540 and 959 work well for me

I use Shimano PD 540 and 959. Similar pedals but the 959 is lighter? and costlier. These pedals release very predictably for me. Once getting used to them, I don't recall them ever failing to release.

Also, I have only had a few unexpected un-clips when I did not want them (which I don't attribute as the pedals fault or it would happen more often). More likely those couple of unclips can have to do with bad form, worn cleats, improper tension setting, or a combination.
    Last edited by noshortcuts; 07-09-2006 at 10:13 PM.

Mar 2005
    When I first went clipless I asked the same Q on this message board and went for Times ATAC.

Never had trouble in any terrain or situation.

The only exception is that sometimes when I don't want to clip in...they quietly clip in with my shoe barely sitting on the pedal.

Members who have read this thread: 0