Eagle AXS vs XX1 for XC?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Eagle AXS vs XX1 for XC?

Looking at building up a new XC rig for the season.

Have cabled XX1 on my enduro bike, looking at that or XX1 AXS for the new bike

Has anyone run both side by side? Comparisons?

What’s the actual weight difference losing the cables and housings?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    They are similar weights +\- grams. AXS rear derailleur is significantly heavier due to battery which is equivalent to the housing/cables. Here is some links weight comparisons Regular XO1 vs XTR 9100 and AXS vs XTR 9100 .

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/shimano-xt...-eagle-review/

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buy...ano-xtr-m9100/

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have ran both. Had XX1 for 24 months and installed a full XX1 AXS. Shift performance is pretty similar, maybe just a tad better on AXS. I always had my mech Eagle dialed and replaced cable/housing regularly as cheap insurance for shift performance. The big thing is ergonomics and that’s where AXS takes the huge lead. It’s a more natural thumb position with AXS and huge gear shifts take a lot less input. All the psycho babble you read in the bike mag reviews about just not having to worry about shifting actually has a little merit.
    In summary, if you have the cash go AXS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by farfromovin View Post
    I have ran both. Had XX1 for 24 months and installed a full XX1 AXS. Shift performance is pretty similar, maybe just a tad better on AXS. I always had my mech Eagle dialed and replaced cable/housing regularly as cheap insurance for shift performance. The big thing is ergonomics and that’s where AXS takes the huge lead. It’s a more natural thumb position with AXS and huge gear shifts take a lot less input. All the psycho babble you read in the bike mag reviews about just not having to worry about shifting actually has a little merit.
    In summary, if you have the cash go AXS.
    Agree with all this. I too had XX1 mechanical and have upgraded the shifter/rd to AXS.
    I would add that if you're racing (as it sounds like the OP is) or going on longer rides then AXS has an advantage as you get more tired. It is just that much more easy to "push" on the paddles. It's such light action. Not that mechanical XX1 is hard by any means, but AXS is just that much easier.
    Plus I always found my shifting (my input on the shifter itself) could get a little sloppy toward the end of longer rides. That's 100% eliminated with AXS.

mtbr member
    The shift action is so light with AXS that you can shift by accident if your hands roam. I've done it when drinking or eating a gel and bump the shifter when you return your right hand to the grip. Minor nuisance, but you can't mis-shift a mechanical system like that because it takes a lot more pressure to actuate the shifter.

There's a lot of comments in the main AXS thread, if you haven't read it you probably should invest the time necessary to at least skim it quickly.

Now that the AXS parts are available separately, it's feasible to build a bike with lower-cost Eagle cranks and cassette, and only AXS shifter and derailleur, which should put it into more riders' hands. It's vastly superior and I wouldn't want to go back, but at the same time I'm in no hurry to upgrade my gravel bike to etap / axs mainly because I spend so little time on it compared to be AXS-equipped MTB.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I wonder what the OP decided on?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    The shift action is so light with AXS that you can shift by accident if your hands roam. I've done it when drinking or eating a gel and bump the shifter when you return your right hand to the grip. Minor nuisance, but you can't mis-shift a mechanical system like that because it takes a lot more pressure to actuate the shifter.
    Yeah...the soft action is a double edge sword. I did a couple of 6 hour races on AXS,,,,and did hit the button by accident a few times...or held it too long and it double shifted when I was tired.But it works great.
    But I have double shifted on the XTR when tired also.
    And then then there's that $700 derailleur that I broke....which makes XTR sound cheap ( never thought I'd say that)
    Both great systems though....

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Another thing i like about axs... you can program the button, where if you hold it down, you can have it change 2 gears...3...all of them ...or none. Doesn’t maybe sound that big of a deal....but i have been using it ...and love it. And as others have mentioned... no more “half-ass” shifts. You either hit the button hard or soft and it shifts.

Its expensive....and your adding electronics to a bike....but it is awesome. I have been using it for a short time....and i am purpposefully going to run my battery down until it will not shift. I want to see ho many rides/miles i can get.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyking1231 View Post
    Another thing i like about axs... you can program the button, where if you hold it down, you can have it change 2 gears...3...all of them ...or none. Doesn’t maybe sound that big of a deal....but i have been using it ...and love it. And as others have mentioned... no more “half-ass” shifts. You either hit the button hard or soft and it shifts.

Its expensive....and your adding electronics to a bike....but it is awesome. I have been using it for a short time....and i am purpposefully going to run my battery down until it will not shift. I want to see ho many rides/miles i can get.
    yeah...I programmed mine to do 2 gears on a long hold. Tried 3....but that was too much when I made a mistake.
    As far as battery life...I got 16 to 24 hours....so, for me, a week or 2 of riding. I kept a spare battery in my pack