Eagle 12 speed cassette compatibility....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Eagle 12 speed cassette compatibility....

First of all, I'm failry new to working on bikes, and I'm still working on terminology and whatnot. I did try and search for answers, but I'm not 100% confident in what I've found.

This is probably pretty basic stuff for most of you...but I'm trying to build a second wheelset for my 2018 Fuel EX 8 plus. I usually ride it for trail riding and bike park with 2.6 XR4 team tires and a stock wheel drivetrain setup. It works for me. I have a 14yo son that's racing NICA for his second season and has grown into my bike and prefers it to his Roscoe for XC racing. I'd like to build a second wheelset for XC. I've bought a set of Kovee Elite 29" wheels that I'll be running 2.3 or 2.4s on. I'd like to get a cassette and rotor that will allow me to simply swap the whole rear tire assembly without having to pull the cassette and rotor off every time he races.

I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative to the XG-1275 10-50t cassette that comes stock on the Fuel. Does the Sunrace CSMZ90 work with the Eagle drivetrain I currently have. As far as I can tell, the compatability I'm looking for is within the freehub?

These are the wheel specifications:

Features and Information

• OCLV Pro carbon offers an optimized blend of weight, strength, and durability
    • Rapid Drive 54 hub instantly transfers effort into forward momentum
    • Tubeless-ready (TLR) rims allow for quick upgrades to tubeless
    • Ultra-durable OCLV Carbon rim with 29mm internal, 36mm external width
    • Carbon Care Wheel Loyalty Program offers no-cost repair/replacement for the first two years of ownership
    • 28 front/rear 14G spokes with Alpina alloy locking nipples
    • 6 bolt disc, Shimano 10/11 speed, SRAM XD driver available separately
    • Includes TLR rim strip installed, TLR valve, valve core removal tool

Do I need to buy an XD driver? Or can I just slap the cassette on and be done with it?

Is there a significant difference in a 10-50t and an 11-50t?

Are there any other cheaper alternatives?

mtbr member
    The Kovee comes with a shimano hub which will accept the Sunrace cassette.

Keep in mind that unless you are lucky, you will probably have to reindex the derailleur and and have to adjust the brake calipper. Not a very long job to do though.

When I swap my trail to put XC wheels, I swap the cassette and the derailleur seems to be ok but I need to adjust the brake caliper.

Also, the Sunrace cassette is 140g heavier on the trail it is no big deal but for XC, you might want to shave every gram you can.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by tomson75 View Post
    . Does the Sunrace CSMZ90 work with the Eagle drivetrain I currently have. As far as I can tell, the compatability I'm looking for is within the freehub?

Is there a significant difference in a 10-50t and an 11-50t?
    The eagle has an XD hub, so you have an XD hub. The Sunrace is typical shimano HG hub. So you would need to switch to a HG hub, or find another XD cassette. Stay away from cheap Chinese cassettes like ZTTO that shift like crap or do not shift at all.

I run an 11-50 sunrace, I just ditched it to buy the eagle GX 12s sytem because I really wanted the 10T. Makes a huge difference when on pavement riding to trails.

I would keep what you have. We live in steep trail area, and almost everyone is running the eagle groupset

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
    The eagle has an XD hub, so you have an XD hub. The Sunrace is typical shimano HG hub. So you would need to switch to a HG hub, or find another XD cassette.
    I didn't see why not use a hub with XD (10 teeth) and a HG (11 teeth). For instance, Eagle XG-1275 10-50t on one wheel and NX PG-1230 11-50t on the other wheel. No need to change hubs on the second pair of wheels.

Other than that, is like Biggs427 said: either the OP needs to re-adjust every swap, or try to add shims (seems like a nightmare) to make geometries match on both wheels. Or wish for luck and everything just fits fine.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fmendes View Post
    I didn't see why not use a hub with XD (10 teeth) and a HG (11 teeth). For instance, Eagle XG-1275 10-50t on one wheel and NX PG-1230 11-50t on the other wheel. No need to change hubs on the second pair of wheels.
    This seems like the logical thing to do...but the NX PG-1230 is 165g heavier. Would I be saving any weight by not needing an XD driver? Just seems like I'd be wasting any weight savings of the new wheelset by adding a heavier cassette.

I'm not THAT worried about weight, but if I can cut some without spending a fortune, I'll go that route. After all, he raced the Fuel on 2.8 Nobby Nics, Sun Ringle 40 Alloy wheels, and tubes...and still preferred it to the Roscoe on 2.6 tubeless.

FWIW, I don't mind adjusting the derailuer every swap...but I'd rather avoid swapping the rotors and cassette. However, if its goig to be a nightmare to get everything aligned even with the above setup, I'll just save my money and take my time changing out everything the night before.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tomson75 View Post
    This seems like the logical thing to do...but the NX PG-1230 is 165g heavier. Would I be saving any weight by not needing an XD driver? Just seems like I'd be wasting any weight savings of the new wheelset by adding a heavier cassette.
    There is no (to my knowledge) HG cassette that will be lighter than an equivalent XD. The XD will be (also AFAIK) more expensive, due to the construction in single pieces or dozens of rivets across cogs, that drive the weight down.

In short, will be a trade of weight and price. Want to save weight, get a XD hub and XD cassette. Want cheap, go HG and NX cassette.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    There is no (to my knowledge) HG cassette that will be lighter than an equivalent XD. The XD will be (also AFAIK) more expensive, due to the construction in single pieces or dozens of rivets across cogs, that drive the weight down.

In short, will be a trade of weight and price. Want to save weight, get a XD hub and XD cassette. Want cheap, go HG and NX cassette.

Yeah....not sure why I thought there might be a case otherwise. Seems everything in cycling is priced based on weight.

Well cool. I have a much better idea of what the hell I'm doing now.

Thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Can you put those wheels on the Roscoe? Seems that would the better XC setup.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I went this route and it worked perfectly. No need for adjustment when swapping wheels at this point. The 1230 is clearly heavier than the 1275, but it's not really noticeable on the bike. The whole bike feels much faster as a whole.

Thanks for the help everyone.