NedwannaB

E13 or SRAM cassette for new XD drive wheels

Couple questions to help me decide on best wide range choice for new wheels. 135# rider, bike setup is SC 5010.

Looking for pro/con comparisons on the TRS Race vs Plus cassettes. I see that ones abit lighter and ones about $90 more. I did try and read thru the 300+ thread on the e13's but got pretty blurry eyed towards the end, especially seeing the issues so.e have had. Customer service is not an issue as they are right here in my home town.

Also looking at the XO1 11 spd but with only going up to 42t I would have to get an extender setup and liking the Wolftooth 45(46?) add on. This setup would be in about the same price point as the more expensive e13 cassette.

Any thoughts on these two setups?

Comments greatly appreciated and thanked in advance.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Have you considered the e.13 12sp conversion? It's around same price point to the 11sp cassettes. Granted you'd need to be starting with SRAM shifter and derailleur as kit converts those parts.
    I'm running their 12sp cassette and it's fantastic.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    do you already have the 11-speed RD ans shifter? if not, why not look at the 12-speed. that gives you similar range as the e13, but without the (potential) issues.
    Remember that you buy shifter and RD only once (hopefully), but cassettes multiple times. So the cassette cost difference will become more important over time.

I don't have an e13, and only know what the threads say. But it seems they still are in need to change designs to overcome all the issues. SRAM cassette seems more mature.
    My BIL has an e13 and it shifts nicely, but he only rides very little, so no data on longevity from him.

You also can look into using an HG hub (unless you already have xD hub) and use the cheaper Sunrace or NX 11-50 cassette if that range suffices.
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

NedwannaB
    Brand new bike so going to run stuff as is. Its only NX but friend has an XO1 shifter so with that, losing the boat anchor NX cassette and new wheels it should lighten and liven it up quite abit!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    E.13 conversion will update the X01 shifter to 12sp and give you the 12sp cassette, which seems from what I've read, to be much improved over 11sp ones.
    Shifts really well on my bike (granted, I have an Archer D1x on my bike as well) and has 9-46 range of gears.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

NedwannaB
    I entertained that as I have the SunRace 11/50 on my other bike, have had their 11/40 9spd, 1142/46 10 spd models on others. The particular wheels I found are setup for XD. I suppose I could shop around for ones with shimano setup too.

NedwannaB
    I checked and think the NX der can only go up to a 46t? which is why I was looking this route. My other bike with the 50t is a 29er I do ok on 27.5 with the 42 where I ride just looking to get a little easier climbing from my 60+ year old bones during the long days.😛

Anchorage, AK
    I.have both cassettes. The e13 is far better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Garbaruk 11 speed 10-48t.

NedwannaB
    Oooo I like that one. Pricey, no?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    I.have both cassettes. The e13 is far better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Race or Plus model?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I have e13 9-46 the range is wonderful with 34 or 38T plate I can development very nice speed. The issue is the noise, this particular cassette needs a lot maintenance, it have back pedaling on 46-44 cog.
    Also has a 9-42 10speed on other bike so the cogs 9-24 begun to jump the chain, the traditional signal of cog wear out. The chain must be changed at the few miles if you avoid change cog or the cassette.
    So my next drivetrain upgrade will be sram eagle 10-50.

Enviado desde mi moto x4 mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Oooo I like that one. Pricey, no?
    Cheaper than a SRAM XX1 and lighter. Also it's steel except for the 1st gear cog so won't wear as quickly as the E13. E13 also has had many recorded problems (and systematic updates to address them).

You'll need the Garbaruk cage for a SRAM derailleur but I have one and it works just as well as the 10-42t XX1 it replaced with the stock cage.

NedwannaB
    Ok, thanks good to know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I enjoyed the steps on my E13 Cassette. However I killed 3rd gear on 3 different E13 Cassettes in short order. About 6 weeks of riding about 2x per week is how long each cassette would last. Also ate some chains and had some rides ruined. I went through 3 E13s before I sold the final warranty replacement and bought Eagle.

If you don't spend a lot of time climbing in 3rd gear (1-3rd gears are aluminum on the E13 where-as only 1st is on the SRAM) maybe you won't experience these problems.

My Eagle is about 1.5 years old and has zero problems. I even keep measuring the chain looking for wear and it's totally fine after lots of miles (I use chain wax).

Will replace with SRAM E-Tap as soon as it's available.

I will say this, the E13 guys are GREAT on warranty, and they deserve kudos for that. The only thing that was annoying was every time I'd call in for a warranty replacement they would say 'that's weird, never heard of that' even though 2 of my friends as well as me had already had several warranty replacements!