Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    kk2
    kk2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    55

    DT Swiss 11s road hub on mtb.

    Hello.

    I currently run 10-42 setup on my Trek Procal. The bike is used mostly for flattish gravel road rides and commute. I like to be maintaining a steady cadence and I find that 10-42 setup has just too much spread between the cogs. I loose over 10 rpm for the same speed. I run the dt swiss hubs. A while ago I purchased a SRAM PG1172 cassette thinking it would fit on my dt swiss mountain free hub. However it turned out to be too wide. I am debating that if I just got the 11s road freehub it would work. However I wonder that if the road 11s cassette is wider than the mtb one then my derailleur and shifters wont work. Has anybody had any experience with that?

  2. #2
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    9,913

    DT Swiss 11s road hub on mtb.

    Just need the “road” free hub and appropriate end cap.

    Completely compatible with any MTB DT Swiss star ratchet hub.

    As an example:

    I’ve run a “road” free hub on 130x5mm road, 135x10mm MTB, and 142x12 MTB hub.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  3. #3
    kk2
    kk2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    55
    Thanks. Is there a special end cup or I can use my current one. My setup is 148x12.

  4. #4
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    9,913

    DT Swiss 11s road hub on mtb.

    11 speed free hub plus this:

    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273502562802

    The hub shell size (boost vs non-boost) is irrelevant.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Le Duke; 2 Days Ago at 08:41 AM.
    Death from Below.

  5. #5
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Just need the “road” free hub and appropriate end cap.

    Completely compatible with any MTB DT Swiss star ratchet hub.

    As an example:

    I’ve run a “road” free hub on 130x5mm road, 135x10mm MTB, and 142x12 MTB hub.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    um, you sure about that?

    this is my understanding:

    11spd road freehub bodies are wider than mtb ones. Sure, it'll "fit" the hub, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it'll fit the bike.

    Since OP is dealing with an xD freehub body on his bike now, this is a summary on the difference between SRAM's XD and XDR freehub bodies.



    The same basic concept applies to Shimano HG style freehub bodies as are linked above. I assume the PG-1172 cassette uses the HG body and not the XDR one, but it's not listed on SRAM's website (PG-1170 is HG, XG-1175 is XDR). At any rate, 11spd road freehub body is wider than mtb.

    Road HUBS are able to maintain the same overall width in spite of the wider freehub body because the flanges are narrower on 11spd road hubs.

    https://www.sram.com/sram/road/component/cassettes

  6. #6
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    9,913

    DT Swiss 11s road hub on mtb.

    XDR only applies to 12 speed road, which as of yet is only on the bikes of a few road and CX pros.

    And, for further proof, all of the WorldTour road teams riding disc brakes on Roval, Bontrager or DT Swiss wheels are riding 11 Speed Road free hubs on either straight up DT 240s or house brand, relabeled hubs with DT Swiss internals. A couple others that escape me at the moment, too. Reynolds, maybe. Giant’s high end house brand wheels, too.

    https://road.cc/content/review/22695...50-disc-wheels





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  7. #7
    Barely in control
    Reputation: Schulze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,844
    Get the Shimano freehub and hg700 or hg800 11-34 cassettes.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by kk2 View Post
    Hello.

    I currently run 10-42 setup on my Trek Procal. The bike is used mostly for flattish gravel road rides and commute. I like to be maintaining a steady cadence and I find that 10-42 setup has just too much spread between the cogs. I loose over 10 rpm for the same speed. I run the dt swiss hubs. A while ago I purchased a SRAM PG1172 cassette thinking it would fit on my dt swiss mountain free hub. However it turned out to be too wide. I am debating that if I just got the 11s road freehub it would work. However I wonder that if the road 11s cassette is wider than the mtb one then my derailleur and shifters wont work. Has anybody had any experience with that?
    I don't understand. You wrote that you have a 10-42, that means you have an XD freehub body. What cassette did you try to use exactly? There is no PG-1172, are you talking about the PG-1170?
    11spd road cassettes require a longer freehub body, but the cog spacing is the same. However Shimano does make an 11spd 11-34 now that will work on 8-9-10spd MTB HG freehubs.

    https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...-HG800-11.html


    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I assume the PG-1172 cassette uses the HG body and not the XDR one, but it's not listed on SRAM's website (PG-1170 is HG, XG-1175 is XDR).
    I'm not sure if anyone makes XDR cassettes, at least I don't know about it. The XG-1175 is XD, not XDR. The only roadie XD cassette I know about is the 9-32 made by 3T and it's still XD compatible.

    https://www.3t.bike/en/accessories/cassette-579.html

  9. #9
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,917
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyBoni View Post
    I don't understand. You wrote that you have a 10-42, that means you have an XD freehub body. What cassette did you try to use exactly? There is no PG-1172, are you talking about the PG-1170?
    11spd road cassettes require a longer freehub body, but the cog spacing is the same. However Shimano does make an 11spd 11-34 now that will work on 8-9-10spd MTB HG freehubs.

    https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...-HG800-11.html
    Yeah, OP's post had some confusing elements to it. I stand corrected on XDR cassettes/freehub bodies.

    But I still don't think you can just throw an 11spd HG freehub body on a mtb hub with 9/10/11 HG mtb freehub body and expect it to fit the frame, because other aspects of a 11spd compatible road hub have been changed to fit the longer 11spd road HG freehub body on the "same" overall hub spacing. I agree that this Shimano cassette would do the job with a mtb HG freehub body that will fit the hub AND the frame just fine and do the requested job.

  10. #10
    kk2
    kk2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyBoni View Post
    I don't understand. You wrote that you have a 10-42, that means you have an XD freehub body. What cassette did you try to use exactly? There is no PG-1172, are you talking about the PG-1170?
    11spd road cassettes require a longer freehub body, but the cog spacing is the same. However Shimano does make an 11spd 11-34 now that will work on 8-9-10spd MTB HG freehubs.

    https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...-HG800-11.html




    I'm not sure if anyone makes XDR cassettes, at least I don't know about it. The XG-1175 is XD, not XDR. The only roadie XD cassette I know about is the 9-32 made by 3T and it's still XD compatible.

    https://www.3t.bike/en/accessories/cassette-579.html
    I have both shimano mtb free hub and xd driver for my wheelset. Currently I have mounted the XD driver hence I ride on 10-42. My mistake the cassette I tried to mount was PG1170.

  11. #11
    kk2
    kk2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Get the Shimano freehub and hg700 or hg800 11-34 cassettes.
    Thanks!! That looks like the most risk free solution. The cassette is advertised as road and mtb. I think I can live with two more teeth on the largest cog

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: uzurpator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by kk2 View Post
    Thanks!! That looks like the most risk free solution. The cassette is advertised as road and mtb. I think I can live with two more teeth on the largest cog
    If fine-grained cadence control is what you are after, then 11-34 11-speed from Shimano is a horrendous choice as it has all the cogs spaced by two or more teeth. For most of the high range it has the same jumps as what you already have.

  13. #13
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,917
    Quote Originally Posted by uzurpator View Post
    If fine-grained cadence control is what you are after, then 11-34 11-speed from Shimano is a horrendous choice as it has all the cogs spaced by two or more teeth. For most of the high range it has the same jumps as what you already have.
    what else have you got that'll fit a 8/9/10 mtb HG freehub body and an 11spd drivetrain?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: uzurpator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    what else have you got that'll fit a 8/9/10 mtb HG freehub body and an 11spd drivetrain?
    You can use any 10 speed cassette on an otherwise 11 speed drivetrain. X-Horizon RDs will handle even 11-23 cassette, if that is what OP wants.

    Other then that - depends how hacky you want to get. I machined away some of the material on a spider of an Ultegra 11-speed 11-32 and mounted it to 8/9/10 hg body. It is a tight fit, but it works.

    There is also the QingchenHuang guy (from the ZTTO thread ) who is a rep for a company that makes cassettes - maybe we should poke him for an 11 speed 11-36 progressive cassette that fits 10 speed FH body?

Similar Threads

  1. DT Swiss BR 2250 with SRAM 11s cassette
    By wind_dre in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-11-2016, 04:15 AM
  2. Pentosin CHF 11S as a damper fluid? CST@40 of 18.7
    By One Pivot in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2016, 05:28 PM
  3. SRAM PG-1170 11-36 with Shimano XTR 11s rear derailleur and Shimano XTR 11 shifter
    By look_as in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2015, 12:21 AM
  4. XX1 and Ultegra 11s. Problems?
    By Le Duke in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-16-2013, 02:08 AM
  5. 1 x 11s and single pivots, someone please 'splain
    By Sock Monkey in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-03-2012, 03:56 PM

Members who have read this thread: 38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.