Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

DIY Bearing Cup Press Tool for $5 (Press Fit Bottom Bracket) WITH PICS!!!

55K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  yosh 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all. So I needed to change out my press fit BB. I read some posts about different options to press in a new BB using ParkTool's or a DIY method. Getting the bearing cups out needs a specialized tool that ParkTool sells for about $40. There was no getting around this tool as ParkTool pretty much has this figured out. They sell a couple press' as well. One being shop quality which is well over $100 and the other is an "economy" version for about $85. You can achieve the same results with a trip to your local hardware store and $5. See below on how...

First off, since I'm changing out a Shimano BB91 BB, I purchased the ParkTool BB-90.3 bearing removal tool. It's about $40 and comes with a couple handy bushings. See picture below:

Next, you'll head over to the hardware store and want to buy one each of the following:

1.) One 5/8" x 6" bolt (make sure it has enough exposed thread. some bolts have little thread at the top which isn't ideal for this job)

2.) Two 5/8" flat washers

3.) One 5/8" nut

Though it's not required, having the two bushings from the ParkTool BB-90.3 tool kit is quite handy. I needed the removal tool anyways so it was pretty cool for ParkTool to include the two bushings for installation as well.

Here's the press assembled:

And a couple of pics of how it looks like with a press fit bottom bracket in between:

And how it looks like on the bike while pressing a BB in (you'll need to use a couple wrenches to do the work pressing the BB into the shell on the bike):

Everything to make this tool cost $5 aside from the ParkTool bushings. You don't have to use the bushings but they do make the press a little more "stable" and easier to work with. You can use larger washers than the one's I used if you're not going to use the ParkTool bushings and achieve similar results. Honestly, with how well this DIY tool worked (and for how cheap), I don't understand why you would want to spend anymore on a "shop" version (unless of course you work in a bike shop).

Hope this post helps save people a few bucks!

See less See more
#6 ·
Getting the bearing cups out needs a specialized tool that ParkTool sells for about $40. There was no getting around this tool as ParkTool pretty much has this figured out.
Sorry but...not exactly! ;0)

Go to your local bike shop and ask for an old aluminium seatpost, hopefully they'll have one kicking around. If not, try another shop until you get one.

Cut off the seat clamp. Try to cut it reasonably straight.

Use a hack-saw to cut four slots in the other end, just like the Park tool.

Use anything handy to bend out the tabs you've just made and bingo, you have just made a free version of the Park BTT-90 :0)

You can use any bit of threaded rod and large washers to replicate the bearing press. If the washers are too thin and bend just stack a bunch of them.

I didn't know you got those bushes with the removal tool. Not like them! These days they seem to make you buy everything separately.

#8 ·
Oh, do check you get a seatpost that'll fit through your bearings ;0)
Yeah, you can definitely make your own... not sure a seat post would be the best option since they're usually pretty thick and would be a pain in the but to cut and bend out. Not to mention, there is the fitting through the bearing issue as you mentioned. Maybe some aluminum tubbing from the hardware store would be a better option? I guess the thing I like about the Park Tool is that the edges have been filed down and the insert portion is rounded so it makes placement pretty easy and doesn't completely destroy your cups if you have to remove them (had to remove my RWC cups as one of the spacers was installed on the wrong side). You also get those handy bushings with the Park Tool kit not that it's completely needed but it is a bonus.

I'd say if you went off and made your own removal tool, you could get away with the whole setup for under $15 easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.