Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Difference in 7-8 Speed Chains and 9 Speed Chains?

53K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  !TREK4ME! 
#1 ·
What is the difference between a chain that is intended for 7 and 8 speed drivetrains vs. a chain that is intended for 9 speed drivetrains?

#5 ·
7, 8, and 9 speed chains have the same inner width, but 9 speed chains have thinner outer plates for a thinner overall chain. So while a 9 speed chain works fine on a 7 or 8 speed drivetrain, it will be a weaker chain that tends to "stretch" faster. The only reason I can think of to use a 9 speed chain on a 7 speed drivetrain is to save a very minute amount of weight. Otherwise there are still very high quality 7 and 8 speed chains still available.

#9 ·
Also, I have several bikes and they all are about due for chains. They all have 7/8 speed HyperGlide cassettes except for the GT(Uniglide). I was wanting to kinda get the same brand/model chain for all of them, if that is possible? Some of the bikes have different brand chains(KMC or Shimano IG narrow).
Can I put all HG-50 chains on all of these bikes with good results??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.