• 03-05-2011
    Hawgzilla
    Difference in 7-8 Speed Chains and 9 Speed Chains?
    What is the difference between a chain that is intended for 7 and 8 speed drivetrains vs. a chain that is intended for 9 speed drivetrains?
  • 03-05-2011
    frdfandc
    The 9 speed chains are narrower than their 78sp counterparts. And 10 speed is narrower than 9 speed as well.
  • 03-05-2011
    Hawgzilla
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frdfandc
    The 9 speed chains are narrower than their 78sp counterparts. And 10 speed is narrower than 9 speed as well.

I assume that I would have issues using a 7-8 speed chain on a 9 speed drivetrain.

How about using a 9 speed chain on a 7 speed drivetrain?
  • 03-05-2011
    highdelll
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    How about using a 9 speed chain on a 7 speed drivetrain?

no sense in using a weaker chain
  • 03-05-2011
    mtnbiker72
    7, 8, and 9 speed chains have the same inner width, but 9 speed chains have thinner outer plates for a thinner overall chain. So while a 9 speed chain works fine on a 7 or 8 speed drivetrain, it will be a weaker chain that tends to "stretch" faster. The only reason I can think of to use a 9 speed chain on a 7 speed drivetrain is to save a very minute amount of weight. Otherwise there are still very high quality 7 and 8 speed chains still available.
  • 10-28-2012
    !TREK4ME!
    Can I use a HG-50 chain with a 7 speed Uniglide gearset?
    I have an old GT Talera that needs a new chain and was wandering if this would work or do I need to try and locate a new UG-50 chain which is what is on it?
    Thanks
  • 10-28-2012
    highdelll
    I don't know of a CHAIN that wont work on any DT when 'reverse-compatibe'-izing?

What I mean is that any # chain should be compatible with a 'speed' below it - maybe not the best chain to use, but will WORK

Until you get to 1/8" DTs ;)
  • 10-28-2012
    !TREK4ME!
    So, what you are saying is that the HG-50 should work well with the Uniglide gearset, right??
    Or do you think something else would be better??
    Thanks
  • 10-28-2012
    !TREK4ME!
    Also, I have several bikes and they all are about due for chains. They all have 7/8 speed HyperGlide cassettes except for the GT(Uniglide). I was wanting to kinda get the same brand/model chain for all of them, if that is possible? Some of the bikes have different brand chains(KMC or Shimano IG narrow).
    Can I put all HG-50 chains on all of these bikes with good results??
  • 10-29-2012
    !TREK4ME!
    I just noticed that the Trek mtb has a Mega 9 rear derailleur but only has an 8 speed cassette. So I'm guessing that I will have to stay with the IG chain on this one, right??
    Am I trying to make stuff too simple??
  • 10-29-2012
    !TREK4ME!
    Hello?????????.....
    Hello??????????????????????????????????.......
    Anybody there????????????????????