Did I ruin my sram pc-99 chain?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Did I ruin my sram pc-99 chain?

I think I did a bone-head move. I used my chain tool to pop the pin on a Sram PC-99 chain. Then I noticed the special links that allows me to pull it apart without a tool. So I poped the pin back but the links are now very tight -- I tried working them back and forth to loosen things up but I am not having much luck. Any ideas or should I just suck it up and buy a new one?

Thanks
    Ed

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by eman2
    I think I did a bone-head move. I used my chain tool to pop the pin on a Sram PC-99 chain. Then I noticed the special links that allows me to pull it apart without a tool. So I poped the pin back but the links are now very tight -- I tried working them back and forth to loosen things up but I am not having much luck. Any ideas or should I just suck it up and buy a new one?

Thanks
    Ed
    Look at both sides of the pin you removed. One side will be sticking out more than the other. Put that pin back in the chain tool with the sticking out side against the tool pin like you are going to pop it out again. Press it in just a tiny bit, it'll loosen up.

Monte

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by eman2

Thanks
    Ed
    The pins aren't made to be re-inserted, and may fail down the line, but the chain is not lost. Just pop out the bad pin its neighbor to remove the outer plates. Replace with another Powerlink. You'll have two, but that shouldn't hurt anything. They run about $5 - way less than a new chain.

When I change chains, I keep the old Powerlink and put it in my seatpack. Knock on wood, I've never broken a chain, but several of my ride buddies have, and having a link in my pack has saved them a long walk to the car. I even used one on someone's Campy 10-spd road bike, and the guy finished the last 60 of an 80 mile road ride with no problems. Don't leave home without one. (Wipperman's connecting link should be just as effective, for anyone who's not a SRAM fan.)

Kathy :^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

Jul 2004

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    ya your not suppose to push those pins back in ive got away with it on sram chains never do it on shimano chains. Also to make a tight link loose thats what that inner ramp is for on the chain tool