DESPERATE HELP! why doesn't this crank work on my build? hitting chainstay!!!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

DESPERATE HELP! why doesn't this crank work on my build? hitting chainstay!!!!!

help! bikes almost done as you can see in the pic. i have a truvative giga pipe bb 73x118 and this is the crank set i am using Truvativ Hussefelt 2.2 RG Crankset 2010 at Price Point
    this is on a 2009 kona five-o frame. when the crank is on, it hits directly in line with the chainstay. its bad. not rubbing but straight up flush with it. seems like the bb needs to be wider or something, or the cranks need a huge flare to miss the chainstays.

what could be going wrong?!?!?!?! anyone run into this problem before?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DESPERATE HELP! why doesn't this crank work on my build? hitting chainstay!!!!!-new-bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Sounds like you need to install some BB spacers. I think you'd need two on the drive side for that setup.

Former Bike Wrench
    Wrong bottom bracket

You need a Howitzer BB, not an ISIS...same axle but the crankarms on the Hussfelt are offset for the Howitzer BB.

The 51mm is the correct size
    Truvativ Howitzer Team Bottom Bracket 2010 at Price Point

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalized View Post
    Sounds like you need to install some BB spacers. I think you'd need two on the drive side for that setup.
    ty for the reply.
    should my lbs have this? does thsi jepordize the integrity of anything? weaken anything? will it hold up like normal?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    Wrong bottom bracket

You need a Howitzer BB, not an ISIS...same axle but the crankarms on the Hussfelt are offset for the Howitzer BB.

118x73? or bigger?

What could go wrong ...
    its an external BB ... as 72 said the 51mm is the size you need
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Sounds like you bought a standard ISIS bottom bracket, correct? That Hussefelt crank is designed around the Truvativ Howitzer BBs which use the same ISIS interface but are offset much further outboard because they use large bearings that sit outside the BB shell

edit: I'm too slow!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PooPooPeePeeCaaCaaDooDoo View Post
    118x73? or bigger?
    Much bigger. I don't know an exact size because SRAM/Truvativ specifies these BBs by their chainline instead of spindle width. Go with the 51mm model like mtnbiker72 said

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

mtbr member
    yes, that sounds right. However, based on feedback in the Deals forum I'd recommend a different shop especially if you want the part in any timely manner. Pricepoint carries Howitzer BBs too and they almost always ship out orders on the same business day

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    damn. looks like this is going to be a much heavier bb. im at 29.2 lbs with everything part except the chain.
    once i install the chain ill be at 30 lbs. i guess i can get thinner tubes.
    ill yank those nasty stickers off the pretty blue rims too lol.

thanks for the help guys. i don't think my lbs will have this bb. hopefully i can find one online and get them to next day air it tomorrow.

mtbr member
    damn. looks like this is going to be a much heavier bb. im at 29.2 lbs with everything part except the chain.

thanks for the help guys. i don't think my lbs will have this bb. hopefully i can find one online and get them to next day air it tomorrow.
    Did you check out the one at PricePoint that mtnbiker72 linked to above? Like I said, they are very good about consistently shipping quickly

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    might get it from price point and next day air it. i see a 51mm and a 56mm.
    i know you said 73/51 is what i should get. but what about 73/56? would that mean even MORE clearance ? or am i not understanding this correctly?

also, what do you think about the build? i custom painted the frame to match my marzocchi dj1 fork. im going to strip stickers off the fork and wheel set. then im going to use brake fluid and q-tip to take the yellow and white paint off tires.

mtbr member
    might get it from price point and next day air it. i see a 51mm and a 56mm.
    i know you said 73/51 is what i should get. but what about 73/56? would that mean even MORE clearance ? or am i not understanding this correctly?

also, what do you think about the build? i custom painted the frame to match my marzocchi dj1 fork. im going to strip stickers off the fork and wheel set. then im going to use brake fluid and q-tip to take the yellow and white paint off tires.
    More clearance yes, but it will also put your crank too far out to work with your front derailleur.

The bike is definitely looking good so far. Hope you can get out and start riding it soon

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    More clearance yes, but it will also put your crank too far out to work with your front derailleur.

The bike is definitely looking good so far. Hope you can get out and start riding it soon
    i don't have a front derailuer. i only am running one ring up front. in place of the small ring i made this chain guide to keep the chain on the crank set. so should i get the widest one? 73/56?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DESPERATE HELP! why doesn't this crank work on my build? hitting chainstay!!!!!-chain-guard.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    as boomn said get the 51. The build is looking nice... but why on earth would u strip the paint off the tires? Also if you're really worried about the extra weight of the new bottom bracket you shouldve got lighter wheels and tires. I actually love outlaws but wheels and tires is one of the easiest places to save a few lbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    well. before the build i calculated 27 or 28 lbs.
    wound up being 29.2 without chain. and i think ill be at 30 point something after the chain is installed and the new bb.
    i reallly wanna get under 30 lbs. but i can live with right at 30lbs i guess. i can always lose weight as things break/wear out i assume.

Former Bike Wrench

You purchased DH/FR cranks...what do you expect weight wise? Of course the bottom brackets designed for those cranks is heavier duty. If you wanted light you should have purchased XC/AM cranks like the Stylo or FireX with the GXP bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    Wrong bottom bracket

okay,
    just to be 100% sure, this is exactly what i need right?

Truvativ Howitzer XR Bottom Bracket 2010 at Price Point

and get the 51 not the 56? even though the 56 is extra clearance?

mtbr member
    i don't have a front derailuer. i only am running one ring up front. in place of the small ring i made this chain guide to keep the chain on the crank set. so should i get the widest one? 73/56?
    The other reason not to get the wider one is chainline. The 56mm chainline of the widest model is 11mm further outboard than the center of your cassette, meaning it will line up well with the smallest cogs on your cassette but really poorly with the larger cogs, or most of the cassette for that matter. Even 51mm is technically 6mm too far out, but that's what modern MTB frames and drivetrains are typically built around so we have to deal with it

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Get the 51 final answer.... and if you really ride i promise you wont notice that extra weight, youre body will get used to it! and if u dont think so just lose a pound or two off yourself instead of the bike. its cheaper
    oh and good job on the inner chain guide.. looks good

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    thank you everyone for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    im going to next day Truvativ Howitzer XR Bottom Bracket 2010 at Price Point
    from price point tomorrow.
    63/73x51.............. hope thats right!!!!!!!!!!!!