ws6
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015

derailleur/ shifting issues

I've got a 01 Trek 6700 that I've been riding for a while. I'm looking at fixing the bike up and getting it working back to 100%. One area that I'm currently working on and having trouble with is shifting through the rear gears. I've followed some of the online tutorials but just can not get the shifting dialed in. I believe the problem lies in the rear derailleur. Once I have everything adjusted and shifting well through the gears on the stand, what typically happens is the bike will not go into high gear. I have the high gear stop backed out to the point it's not making contact any more and the bike still won't go into high gear. All I have to do is pull the derailleur out slightly and it will go into high gear and stay there. This leads me to believe the spring is weak. Is that a possibility? Can the spring be replaced or do I need to replace the entire unit?

Another issue that I have is that I can either go down through the gears fine or up through the gears fine, not both directions. To me, the derailleur is very sensitive. I've spent hours trying to dial this in without being able to get it 100%. My background is with cars and machines. So while I can't say I have bike specific experience, I'm competent and confident in my abilities.

Any help is appreciated is getting this figured out. The bike is as delivered from the factory with Shimano Deore LX derailleur and Deore shifters. I did just put a new SRAM chain on the bike.

Thanks
    ~Trey
    Bike: old Trek 6700 with a worn out Judy and rim brakes

mtbr member
    I know it's not supposed to make a difference, but I've never had much luck with great shifts on shimano with a sram chain. Kmc or shimano chains always seem to shift better on shimano cassettes for me.
    The first thing I would look @ is whether the derailleur hanger is properly aligned. Take it to an lbs or get yourself a park dag-2 tool. Once the hanger is true you can then go back to indexing and hi/lo set screws.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ws6 View Post
    Once I have everything adjusted and shifting well through the gears on the stand, what typically happens is the bike will not go into high gear. I have the high gear stop backed out to the point it's not making contact any more and the bike still won't go into high gear. All I have to do is pull the derailleur out slightly and it will go into high gear and stay there. This leads me to believe the spring is weak.
    Cable could be too tight. Have you tried loosening it via your barrel adjuster?

The derailleur wants to be in high gear. Tensioning the cable downshifts to larger cog, releasing tension on the cable allows it to upshift to smaller cog.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Check for binding in the cables, the cable maybe gummed up and not running smoothly, or there might be a kink somewhere, or a problem in the outer housing at the ends. It would be pretty uncommon for a worn out dérailleur spring. It's possible to change, I rember back in the day when shimano first switched to the coil spring, after market stronger springs. But I would say look for problem elsewhere first.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    If it were the spring, it would likely shift poorly through the whole range (or at least the last few high gears) and not just the last one. That's why peeps are telling you it's the cable or shifter. It's most likely cable/housing, but shifters can get gummed up inside if they're old - usually not just one gear though.

ws6
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I didn't even think about lubricating the cables. I'll definitely look into that. They feel good now but that doesn't mean that can't feel better.

I've got the barrels turned all the way in and the cable set in a natural position without extra tension.

I may not have been very clear either. I can get the shifting to be good while the bike is on the stand except for the highest gear. If I try to fine tune it just a little more, it goes way out of whack and is very difficult to return it back to the way it was. It's almost as if it changes depending on how it wants to be dialed in. That's why I say it's very sensitive.

If I try to do any fine tuning or adjusting of the cable with the barrels, that's when I can only get it to upshift or downshift correctly but not both ways.

Thank you!
    ~Trey

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I didn't even think about lubricating the cables. I'll definitely look into that. They feel good now but that doesn't mean that can't feel better.
    Cables for sure, the symptoms you describe are classic sticky cable syndrome. It doesn't take much and often what may be undetectable by feel can hamper shifting significantly. Oiling them might work but often it's only a temporary fix, if it works at all. You'd be doing yourself a huge favor by just replacing the cables & housing IMO, I guarantee it'll shift like butter! :]

ws6
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Thanks. How do I replace the sheaths considering they are only partial instead of full length? Do I have to buy a kit made for the bike?

I cleaned the shifters and sprayed dry teflon lube in there and into the cables as best as I could. I also twisted the barrel for the rear cable just a bit. I've got the bike shifting well in the rear except for the highest gear now. When I try to get into that gear, the shifter is just slack and dead. There's no tension or anything. It almost just flops. I forgot to mention that earlier. Not sure if it helps diagnose anything or not.

Thank you
    ~Trey

mtbr member
    You simply just buy cables for s mountain bike, front and rear cables are sold separately or as a kit for both front and rear. I can recommend Jagwire they are awesome. Remember to change both the hose/pipe the cable runs in as well as the cable it self. Buying a kit with both guarantee they the fit, as there different cable thickness available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Commencal Meta AM V4 Eagle //
    Canyon Nerve AL 9.9 SL //

mtbr member
    Buy a good quality gear cable kit and it should solve your issues. I like the teflon-coated ones. Remember to take care when cutting the outer-cable, don't leave a raged edge, and get a nice, smooth run avoiding sharp bends or kinks.

ws6
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Thank you everyone. I will look into cables and see how that works for me. I appreciate the help.
    ~Trey

ws6
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Installed a Jagwire kit, readjusted everything, and now the bike shifts great and goes into every gear. Thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate it.
    ~Trey

mtbr member
    Installed a Jagwire kit, readjusted everything, and now the bike shifts great and goes into every gear. Thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate it.
    Happy days :0)

mtbr member
    is your RD hanger aligned?

(nevermind... solved already)

ws6
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    During my investigating of the issues I found that it was a little loose. I tightened it up and looked at it. Everything appeared good in that area. I'm not sure if it possibly was causing any problems or not, but I did learn it could be a culprit. Thanks for the response.
    ~Trey