Deore 6 speed derailleur w/ 7 speed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Deore 6 speed derailleur w/ 7 speed?

Can anybody tell me if an old Deore 6 speed rear der. will work on a 7 speed setup. I measured the width of a 6 speed freewheel and compared it to a 7 speed cassette and they seem really close. Im not so worried about there being enough range of movement, but should I have any problem shifting that derailleur with 7 speed rapidfire shifters?

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy
    Can anybody tell me if an old Deore 6 speed rear der. will work on a 7 speed setup. I measured the width of a 6 speed freewheel and compared it to a 7 speed cassette and they seem really close. Im not so worried about there being enough range of movement, but should I have any problem shifting that derailleur with 7 speed rapidfire shifters?
    Heck, you could use that Deore with a 9-speed drivetrain, and it'd index just fine. There has never been a 6, 7, 8, or 9 speed Shimano rear dearailleur, except for marketing purposes. Shimano's actuation ratio hasn't changed since the beginning of the index era (1985). Unless your Deore is pre-index, like a "Deer's Head", it'll work fine.

--Shannon

Old man on a bike

Unless

you're trying to take that 7 speed cassette and try to use it on the hub that 6 speed freewheel came off of...not saying that, but that was my first thought when I read it...hell, it's late.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    you're trying to take that 7 speed cassette and try to use it on the hub that 6 speed freewheel came off of...not saying that, but that was my first thought when I read it...hell, it's late.
    No, what I am thinking of doing is taking the derailleurs off a 6 speed bike and putting them on a 7 speed bike. Ive got a crappy looking Specialized Rockhopper from the 80s that has Deore components in good shape, so my plan was to maybe use it as a doner bike for a Trek hybrid I was wanting to kinda turn into a low budget flat bar road bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0