mtbr member

Dakar XLT Chain Clearance

Does anyone else have issues with chain clearance on their XLT's. I just built an 05 XLT and have the XT front derailleur that comes stock on the bike. The derailleur is set as low as it can go because of the pivot joint and the chain rubbs the bottom of the derailleur cage in gears 1-7, 1-8 (I'm running an 8 speed Drive train 22-32-bash up front, 11-32 cassette). I know these arent frequently used gears but I cant believe Jamis would design a frame like this. I have tried numerous derailleurs and finaly contacted Jamis to get the model of the exact XT FD that comes stock on the bike and I had the same clearance issue. I went to both of my LBS's and they pretty much had no answer for me and blame it on poor frame design. Is there something I'm missing here?? Does anyone else own an XLT that can elaborate on this? I love this bike but I know this is going to bug the hell out of me.

Ride Responsibly
    get a TOP mount deraillure to allow more adjustment

mtbr member
    I have a top mount derailleur. Top pull, Bottom swing, hi clamp

Ride Responsibly
    "The derailleur is set as low as it can go because of the pivot joint "
    hmmm, the top mount (hi clamp) should be well above the pivot, whereas the low mount style bottoms out.
    check chain length?

mtbr member
    I might be wrong on this, but I think that when you sit on the bike, it will get better. As the shock compresses, the seattube will drop a little bit and the chain stay arc upwards and forwards, hence alleviating the problem. I had something similar on my XLT and this was the "solution" that I arrived at.
    Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright
    "The derailleur is set as low as it can go because of the pivot joint "
    hmmm, the top mount (hi clamp) should be well above the pivot, whereas the low mount style bottoms out.
    check chain length?
    Its not the clamp thats set as low as it can go. Its the derailleur cage itself. Thanks for your input though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    I might be wrong on this, but I think that when you sit on the bike, it will get better. As the shock compresses, the seattube will drop a little bit and the chain stay arc upwards and forwards, hence alleviating the problem. I had something similar on my XLT and this was the "solution" that I arrived at.
    Mike
    The sag of the bike does help a bit but its still very close. I'm going to try a 12-32 cassette instead of the 11-32 I have on their now. That should free up another MM or two. Thanks for your advise.

Members who have read this thread: 0