"Crunchy" drive side bearing on 2012 Epic 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

"Crunchy" drive side bearing on 2012 Epic 29er

I have a 2012 Epic 29er with a Sram PF30 Crank. I've only ridden the bike once and conditions were muddy. I washed the bike by hand after the race (no pressure wash) and removed the crank to do a complete clean. When trying to turn the driveside bearing by hand it felt tight initially and when it turned it feels "crunchy". I removed the dust wiper to expose it and there is grease in there, although doesn't look completely clean. Is it possible to have a contaminated bearing after just 1 ride?????.....Anyone has had similar issues?...Tks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My BB30 bearing didn't last long either. More than one ride certainly but if it was long and very muddy one, the damage would have been done during the ride, not the wash.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks....I should add that the crank bolt was extremely over torqued as the bike came out of the box so I'm not sure if this could also may have caused the damage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That's probably not helped. If the balls are ceramic, then the race may well have some scoring/indentations.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

Members who have read this thread: 0