Thread: Crankset Help

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Crankset Help

I'm building my first bike, and need some help. I want to setup either a 2x10 or 3x10 drivetrain. I'm looking for an inexpensive crankset to go with the following setup.

Could I use Shimano Alivio M430, square taper, with this setup? If not, any recommendations? Would prefer not to spend more than $50, if possible.

not really an mtbr member
    Basically any crankset is compatible these days. The biggest issue is BB/frame/crank compatibility. For example, you can't run a square taper BB on a PF30 frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Great to know. I'm starting with a 2012 Niner Air 9 frame, which looks like it has a PF30 bottom bracket. I'm not familiar with a Press-Fit BB. Essentially, I will need a PF30 bracket and compatible crankset? Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

mtbr member
    For cheap, hard to beat a square taper cartridge bottom bracket and an alivo crankset. Heavy, but will last a long time. For a just little more money, I'd also look at something like this though. A little lighter, easy to adjust chainline.

Race Face Ride Crankset OE > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

not really an mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlucas View Post
    Great to know. I'm starting with a 2012 Niner Air 9 frame, which looks like it has a PF30 bottom bracket. I'm not familiar with a Press-Fit BB. Essentially, I will need a PF30 bracket and compatible crankset? Is there anything else I need to be aware of?
    I think you might have an issue with the setup you're thinking then. The PF30 adaptors don't have anything to hold them in the frame, so you need some sort of crankset that holds the sides together: external BB is the simplest answer. SLX is a great choice.

mtbr member
    completely missed the part about the frame being press fit. Best of luck with that. External bearing would be OK with the press fit adapters, but I'd stick with a true press-fit bottom bracket.
    SRAM PressFit 30 to BSA Adaptor Kit | Chain Reaction Cycles

If you really do have a press fit bottom bracket, another option is seeing if you can get it threaded at your LBS and use the newer threaded bottom bracket standard. All the benefits of the pressfit 30 bottom bracket standard, without being pressfit.
    First Look: T47 Bottom Bracket Standard | Bicycling
    Industry launches new, larger threaded T47 bottom bracket standard ? say goodbye to PressFit!
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"