Confused about 7 speed Shimano Megadrive cassette, possible to convert to 8 speed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Confused about 7 speed Shimano Megadrive cassette, possible to convert to 8 speed?

Hi All

My mate gave me his old 05-06 Trek 3700 bike as it has sat in the shed for close to 5-6 years. The wheels and frame where in good condition, but most of the drive train was rusted to buggery (and the cranks where shite from the start)

Now i plan to spend a little coin to build this up as a spare bike, should anyone want to come riding, plus nothing calms me more than working on bikes. Now my question regards these rubbish shimano 7 speed "Mega Drive" cassettes.

I have some old 8 speed parts (RD & Shifter) that i have refurbished and would like to use on this wheel, as the wheel and hub are in good condition, wheels are true and bearings run smooth. I went to remove this cassette, and noticed that it uses what i believe to be a "free wheel"? so my regular cassette tool won't remove it. I also have a old deore hub with buggered bearings but a perfect free hub. What i am wondering, is it possible to remove the free hub from the old deore hub, take off this free wheel, and put the free hub on in its place so that i can put an 8 speed cassette on there?

What tools would i need to remove the old free wheel, and would the wheel need to be redished? The frame is 135mm spacing, not the older 130 that used to come with some 7 speed setups

Not looking to spend much on this, so need the cheapest option possible

Thanks for any help!

Here is a pic showing the cassette, sorry for the poor quality, can get more if needed. Hub is a no name cup and cone one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Confused about 7 speed Shimano Megadrive cassette, possible to convert to 8 speed?-img_4499.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hate to break to ya but that 7speed freewheel(not a cassette) is basically a BMX style freewheel trust me been down that rode with a trek kids bike with that same setup (just ended up getting a new 10 speed deore hub and laced it with a 24 inch wheel for kids bike).
    So going cheap if u want find a new wheel or wheel set for cheap. Or just replace the 7 speed stuff its not expense and it not the most reliable tho.
    Shimano MF-TZ21 7-Speed Freewheel 14-28 - AAWYEAH Bikes and Bicycle Parts
    Shimano RD-TX35 Tourney Rear Derailleur Megarange 5/6/7 Speed - AAWYEAH Bikes and Bicycle Parts

mtbr member
    No. You cannot adapt a freehub onto a freewheel equipped wheel. You can buy an eight speed freewheel from somewhere like SunRace for 30 dollars or so, but if you want to use a freehub/cassette system you will need to either rebuild with a new hub or buy a new wheel.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help guys.

Had a feeling that would be the case, found a cheap 8 speed wheel so will probably go down that route.

CHeers