Comparing stiffness of SRAM cranks - X1/X01/XX1 and Eagle X01/XX1?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Comparing stiffness of SRAM cranks - X1/X01/XX1 and Eagle X01/XX1?

I probably should have done this first before deciding on a crank, but does anybody know how these cranks compare in stiffness? I like the idea of making my bike lighter, but I hope I am not sacrificing stiffness of the cranks in the process.

Eagle
    XX1
    X01

11-speed
    XX1 - current choice for upgrade
    X01
    X1 - came stock on my bike

Shimano:
    SLX M675 - crank on my other mtb

Does anybody know how these compare in stiffness?
    :)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Keep in mind it's a myth that carbon cranks save you a bunch of weight.

XX1 with a direct mount ring is ~493g XTR with a One up oval of the same size is ~ 520g
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    I feel that most cranks (for sure the ones the OP has listed) are all so close in overall stiffness, that if the average rider is feeling flex, it is probably coming from the BB interface / rings / frame pivots before the actual crank itself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Keep in mind it's a myth that carbon cranks save you a bunch of weight.

XX1 with a direct mount ring is ~493g XTR with a One up oval of the same size is ~ 520g
    to some people 27g is a bunch of weight.......

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    to some people 27g is a bunch of weight.......
    Especially on such a small part. 3 more parts with similar weight savings and you're at 1/4 of a pound. Eventually it adds up to a significant difference.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    I probably should have done this first before deciding on a crank, but does anybody know how these cranks compare in stiffness? I like the idea of making my bike lighter, but I hope I am not sacrificing stiffness of the cranks in the process.

Eagle
    XX1
    X01

11-speed
    XX1 - current choice for upgrade
    X01
    X1 - came stock on my bike

Shimano:
    SLX M675 - crank on my other mtb

Does anybody know how these compare in stiffness?
    I think you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference. I can't tell the difference in stiffness in any of the cranks I've been running. I've got XX1, X0, GX, SLX...and I can't tell a lick of difference when I'm riding.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Shimano hollow forged cranks have excellent stiffness to weight ratios, better than I-beam (race face) and C-section (truvativ, fsa) metal cranks. That said, carbon cranks take stiffness to the next level and some of these spindles are bigger, for even more stiffness, although you may only be concerned in forward direction. You won't be missing out with modern shimano cranks on stiffness IMO. I only run carbon cranks for weight savings, the Next is approximately 100g lighter than XTR with the same size rings, in the case of the imperfect BB92 to 30mm spindle, the BB is lighter still. I have beat a pair of xx1s to hell and back and I'm happy with them, but at the time they were lighter than anything comparable by far. Now you have to step up to Next for that, but they are expensive, as are XTR cranks, so again, I wouldn't predicate this on stiffness.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Especially on such a small part. 3 more parts with similar weight savings and you're at 1/4 of a pound. Eventually it adds up to a significant difference.

Didn't realize we were in the weight weenies section. But you're right it does make a huge difference on all these 28lb+ trail bikes.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Shimano hollow forged cranks have excellent stiffness to weight ratios, better than I-beam (race face) and C-section (truvativ, fsa) metal cranks. That said, carbon cranks take stiffness to the next level and some of these spindles are bigger, for even more stiffness, although you may only be concerned in forward direction. You won't be missing out with modern shimano cranks on stiffness IMO. I only run carbon cranks for weight savings, the Next is approximately 100g lighter than XTR with the same size rings, in the case of the imperfect BB92 to 30mm spindle, the BB is lighter still. I have beat a pair of xx1s to hell and back and I'm happy with them, but at the time they were lighter than anything comparable by far. Now you have to step up to Next for that, but they are expensive, as are XTR cranks, so again, I wouldn't predicate this on stiffness.
    Real world you can get XTRs new for a lot less then Next SL G4.

They're out of fashion.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post

* takes hamburger out of jersey pocket *

Your Best Friend
    Didn't realize we were in the weight weenies section. But you're right it does make a huge difference on all these 28lb+ trail bikes.
    Then why don't you add a barbell to your bike. No? Why not? Because it sucks carrying around unnecessary weight?

Here we are discussing stiffness in carbon cranks. As someone else mentioned, you won't be able to tell a difference. So then pick the lightest one, because why not. It all adds up.

I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    I would agree that you wouldn't be able to tell much difference in the crank, but as a bigger guy I can def feel 30mm spindle vs 22/24. I'd also add pf feels stiffer to me than outboard bearings. Furthermore would be willing to bet you could feel bb width before similar carbon cranks. With that said I can certainly feel sixc's stiffness over the next sl's. I think there is a point of diminishing returns with how light carbon cranks get.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Curious to how much of the flex is actual vs perceived. Shimano still uses the 24mm spindle on their cranks all the way up to XTR and Dura Ace. Is the flex a break your ride type scenario?

Fabian Cancellara can hold some 700 watts for 30 minutes. He uses Shimano DA cranks. So would his numbers be even higher with some 30mm spindle cranks?

Although...I did speak to a Stages rep at Interbike a few years ago and I asked them why they used an aluminum Rival crank arm vs a carbon Force or Red arm. The rep said that the aluminum arm gives a more accurate reading. He said something along the lines of the aluminum arm moves less or has less movement...can't remember his exact words.

I just checked the Stages site...now apparently they do have carbon arms. So something has changed for them to have the power meter on a carbon arm.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Real world you can get XTRs new for a lot less then Next SL G4.

They're out of fashion.
    I saw them for pretty cheap at CRC, but most places seem to be about the same price as Next. Not "a lot less" in my book. 100g is pretty significant IMO.

That said, if weight is not important to you or you are looking for cheaper cranks, just go with something like SLX, as I said, I doubt anyone will notice a stiffness difference. I notice the difference in wheels, frames, not so much cranks.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well, I think I will go with the XX1 11-speed or XX1 Eagle.

Apart from stiffness, I guess the only other concern of mine would be strength.
    :)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ... and durability. Aluminum takes more of a beating than carbon.

I also noticed that my Next SL direct mount cog is more prone to squeaking and loosening than the Turbines with the same cog.

Personally, I'd rather have a good aluminum crank than carbon, esp for the cost difference, but then I'm no weight weenie.

The new Eagle GX is where I'm going next, 165mm option.