Chris King BB MTN on a road bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Chris King BB MTN on a road bike

So I got two CK mountain bb`s for xmas but only need one. I cant easily return the one, but reading on the CK website it says
    "There are, however, instances of compatibility where a "MTN" cup will be used for a "road" crank."
    So I am trying to figure out if the mountain will work with my shimano r700 crankset on my cross bike. I emailed king and am waiting for a response but figured I would post up here also.

mtbr member
    It depends on the BB width. Most Mtn bikes are 68 or 73 mm shells (DH bikes have wider). Road bikes also use a 70mm width. As long as your road bike doesn't use Italian threading (whole different issue) the cups should thread in, it is just the spacer width between the bearings. If your road bike has a 68mm width you should be golden.
    Bikes=Sanity

Old man on a bike
    There's also a cup dimension difference on the non drive side (pretty sure that's right), generally why they don't match up exactly with road cranks, here's a bit of info http://velonews.competitor.com/2009/...ibility_100803 from Shimano .
    Last edited by Bikinfoolferlife; 12-30-2009 at 07:35 PM.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I emailed CK and called. Once I hear something back I will post up. Thanks for the help.

Never trust a fart
    The overall width of the BB cups is different from road specific cranks to MTB specific cranks. There is a small chance that the compatibility will be fine, but its not the norm.

I installed a CK mountain BB on a customers bike. The customer provided the BB for me to install. The crankset did not seat properly as to compared to the original BB that I removed. I had to have the customer get me the "Road" version of the BB for it to work properly on his road frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah I doubt that it will be able to work. Oh well. I guess I need to find a home for it now.

BLS439
    What color?
    I take pictures...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Black.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I heard back from CK today. The person I talked to said that I would probably need 1 or 2 1mm spacers. Says the mountain cups are 1mm narrower than the road cups. So to get it to match up I would need a spacer to add the extra space.

Fueled by Tigerblood
    What did you end up doing and what was the result?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I ended up selling it to put towards my new bike fund.

GAME ON!
    does anyone know if the opposite would work? i.e road cups on mtb. without using the inner sleeve part the cups are essentially the same save for the 2mm total difference but that might actually help in regards to chain guide spacing and whatnot. curious to know as the colour i want is cheaper in road than mtb.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    does anyone know if the opposite would work? i.e road cups on mtb. without using the inner sleeve part the cups are essentially the same save for the 2mm total difference but that might actually help in regards to chain guide spacing and whatnot. curious to know as the colour i want is cheaper in road than mtb.
    I'm wondering the same, a chris king road bb on a 1x mtb setup?

Members who have read this thread: 1