mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Cheap 1x11: Will Shimano Zee and XT M8000 Cranksets perform the same?

Hi,
    In my quest to go 1x11 for as little as possible, I saw that Shimano Zee cranks have the same chainline as the XT M8000 cranks, which cost significantly more and use the weird 96mm bcd standard instead of the more common 104bcd of the Zee.

Is there any advantage to using the XT M8000 cranks, or will they perform exactly the same as the Zee assuming they're both using the same narrow wide ring?

Also, I've notice a lot of people are moving their chainline inward in an effort to stop the chain from dropping off the 42t cog to the 32t cog when they backpedal. I have an old triple crankset on my bike with a 47.5mm chainline; would this work fine or even better than either of the Shimano cranks?

I'd really appreciate any input on this matter, especially with regards to the triple crankset.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Subscribed
    ​​
    2015 Flyxii / ENVE /Chris King Carbon 29'er H.T.
    SRAM XX1
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T. SRAM XX1
    1997 Rock Hopper / Rock Shox Recon Silver / 1 x 10 SRAM X9 XO Mix XT V Brake system

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Neither the Zee nor the XT have a great chainline . The XT are way overpriced considering neither a chainring, bolts or bottom bracket are included. The Zee cranks and BB are about 150 g heavier.

If the old 3x crankset is hollowtech 2 or equivalent, I'd just use that. If you really want to buy a new crank, SLX 3 x10 is the best value. Sell the 3x rings (if possible) and buy your favorite NW ring.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I went 1X11 on my new build. I originally ordered the zee crankset to save money, but when it arrived and I pulled it out of the box, it was freaking heavy, and I'm a guy who can care less about weight. So my options were the new xt m8000 cranks or RF turbines dm. I wanted to run a RF nw chainring and since the xt's required their new chainring and didn't come w a bb, I went RF. I'm happy with the turbines, they look bling and are pretty light for alu cranks. The only disadvantage is you have to use the RF bb.
    As far as the chain falling off back pedaling, hasn't happened to me when doing it on the stand and I don't generally back pedal on the trails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I imagine Zee and XT would perform the same but with the obvious difference in weight of the XT. My Trance came with a Zee crank and a 1x10 setup. I immediately went 1x11 (X01). It's been flawless. It will slip off the 42t ring but only after several revolutions. I can easily do one full revolution in reverse and it will never slip off with just one. I can't imagine a situation where you would need to backpedal more than 2 revolutions or even one for that matter unless you just like backpedaling. Right after cleaning and lubing the chain and for the first day or two, it won't always slip off the 42t and if it does, it's like 10 revolutions.

I like the Zee stuff. It's great performance in a heavy but strong and cheap package. I've considered going with something lighter but with me weighing 240lbs, the additional weight not only probably would not be noticed but the extra strength is probably a good thing. And of course, the most important factor being that my crank and brakes match lol.
    '08 Hardrock HRXC
    '09 Epic Comp
    '14 Trance SX -

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If you're trying to save money and don't care about weight than the zee line is the best bang for your buck. It's performance is probably just as good as xt and saints. And if you're a big dude like BuickGN then you all good. And matchy matchy does matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tourendo View Post
    Neither the Zee nor the XT have a great chainline . The XT are way overpriced considering neither a chainring, bolts or bottom bracket are included. The Zee cranks and BB are about 150 g heavier.

If the old 3x crankset is hollowtech 2 or equivalent, I'd just use that. If you really want to buy a new crank, SLX 3 x10 is the best value. Sell the 3x rings (if possible) and buy your favorite NW ring.
    Why does it matter if it's a hollowtech 2? It's a truvativ ISIS drive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The outboard BB systems (Hollowtech 2, Xtype... ) are much simpler to work on , BB's are cheap and easy to find anywhere. H2 >X Type because of the improved interface but both are an upgrade over Hollowtech or ISIS.

YMMV, but I despised the ISIS interface and their poor quality BB's. I had a Stylo crankset and the LX H2 crankset that replaced it was better in every possible way. Lighter, stiffer, cheaper more reliable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rhynohead View Post
    I went RF. I'm happy with the turbines, they look bling and are pretty light for alu cranks. The only disadvantage is you have to use the RF bb.
    Turbine cinch cranks or regular Turbine?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Have you considered going with a 1x10? I used the OneUp kit and I'm really happy with it. It was about $160.