mtbr member
    Jun 2014

changing the front ring instead of putting a 42t+16t at the back, will it work?

Just want to check if someone already explored this or someone actually did this already.

instead of changing the combinations of the cog set, leave it at its current 11-36 (xt 2014 cogs), but change out the front rings.

Front ring combination of the stock 2x crank is 38-24. I'll change out the 38t to any of the aftermarket cranks available at 32 or 34 and have it paired with the 24.

Reason why i'm asking is that... most of the 32t or 34t cranks available are designed with high tooth profile, narrow wide chain rings to prevent chain drops, this might lead to issues later on when shifting to the 24 bail out crank.

So will it work? or anyone out there who've done it or at least can recommend a crank that is designed for this set up.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I did this, I run a 32T on my rigid 29er "road" bike and a 30T on my 27.5 mountain bike. I haven't found any climbs here in colorado I couldn't make yet with the 30 + 36 combo.

I've been using standard raceface cranks for my 29er, and the direct mount on my 27.5

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    No double is going to be designed for a N/W chainring - although I don't know what makes a crank designed for a N/W chainring.
    You will not be able to shift a N/W chainring and if you did manage, it would be difficult to shift back - the chain has to be in a specific orientation to drop back down on the N/W.
    Lots of 3X cranks are 32X24 or 22 - just take the large ring off.
    I wish someone would come up with a 30T pinned and ramped chainring - I like 30T chainrings, I find I use more of the cassette, can stay in the middle of the cassette instead of the 2 or 3 largest cogs. Guess the granny would have to be spaced over to match the 30T ring, might run into problems with derailleur travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiopz View Post
    Just want to check if someone already explored this or someone actually did this already.

instead of changing the combinations of the cog set, leave it at its current 11-36 (xt 2014 cogs), but change out the front rings.

Front ring combination of the stock 2x crank is 38-24. I'll change out the 38t to any of the aftermarket cranks available at 32 or 34 and have it paired with the 24.

Reason why i'm asking is that... most of the 32t or 34t cranks available are designed with high tooth profile, narrow wide chain rings to prevent chain drops, this might lead to issues later on when shifting to the 24 bail out crank.

So will it work? or anyone out there who've done it or at least can recommend a crank that is designed for this set up.

thanks!
    Your confusing things. First what you're calling cranks = chainrings, Second, the 42t cog was to give people going 1x on a 10 speed set up some extra range. You already have that extra range by having a 24t front ring. I don't understand what your're trying to gain by staying 2x but changing the larger ring.

Look at the chart and the 32 and 38 rings, nothing really changes.

changing the front ring instead of putting a 42t+16t at the back, will it work?-gear.jpg
    OG Ripley v2

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by shiopz View Post

thanks!
    Uhm, hello. See if this helps:

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...-a-993023.html

I think when you wrote "cranks" when you ment "ring" is what's confusing. The problem you'll have downsizing your big ring on a 2x is chain clearances on spider arms. They do make ramped/pinned types in those smaller sizes but I think mostly for a middle triple location.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Drop this post anyway...i just went with the tried and tested 1x10 conversion (32t chain ring and a 42t + 16t combo at the back, removed the 15 and 17t.)....and loving it!