Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for posting, I'm glad to hear it's working out.

2 comments.

1- when you wash a chain, the innards don't dry completely, so you're now riding on a solvent/Chain-L blend, which will affect performance. Next time you wash the chain, go outside with a hair dryer set on high, and heat the chain blowing down near the bottom of the chainring (so the blast misses the tire and frame) and slowly backpedal to warm and completely purge the chain of the solvent. (This takes 10-20 minutes) Purging all solvent residue will improve the performance of any lube you then apply.

2- To wash or not to wash. The answer depends on your temperment and the nature of the crud on the chain. I favor "dry cleaning" the chain by running it through a paper towel from time to time (when I can't stand to look at it), and re-lubing only if needed, usually with only a dry wipe first. Depending on how clean you can get the chain without a wash, that might be good enough before re-lubing, and it's far easier than a proper wash, dry & lube process. In any case one of my main priorities in formulating chain-L was to lengthen the re-lube interval to reduce overall maintainance effort.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    May 2009

chain-l oil

i have been reading the posting about chain-l oil on this forum for several months, that i had to order a bottle myself,mind you against my brothers advise, him being a brewmaster that we never buy any lube. i was intrigue by the packaging which is crazy cause you don't buy a product because its package. anyway i got my bottle of chain-l and i must say is very thick and sticky like honey and gear oil but i will give it a try this weekend while my brother the brewmaster nut is trying to figure out the ingredients which eventually he will get ja,ja. will let you all know how chain-l worked on my bike!!!

mtbr member
    I liked Chain-l, but after trying to use it for a couple months I had to give up. This might sound crazy but dogs will not leave it alone, every time a dog gets near my bike they start licking the chain, this didn't start until I started using Chain-l. I tried completely cleaning the chain thinking there was something else on it that would attract the dogs but as soon as I put it back on every dog that came near my bike would go to town on my chain.
    I doubt it was hurting the dogs at all but it really got annoying. Last weekend I was riding near a campground and went in one of the bathrooms, when I came out I found that two dogs had knocked my bike over and were going nuts licking the Chain-L off my chain. I cant believe I am the only one who has had this problem?
    It's a bummer because Chain-L worked really well, I just got sick of dogs lusting after my chain!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron04
    I liked Chain-l, but after trying to use it for a couple months I had to give up. This might sound crazy but dogs will not leave it alone, every time a dog gets near my bike they start licking the chain, this didn't start until I started using Chain-l. ...... It's a bummer because Chain-L worked really well, I just got sick of dogs lusting after my chain!
    So you've discovered (and given away) the secret of how Chain-L keeps mtb chains clean. During the night dogs lick all the collected crud off. It could be worse, it could attract bears. On the bright side, think of it as a safety feature. A massive dog bursts out of nowhere, chases you down and as you get exhausted, and he's about to take a bite out of your ankle, he sniffs and goes for your chain instead.

Seriously, I'd like to know if anyone else has any similar experience. Right now Chain-L has no odor masking ingredient, like lemon, mint or banana oil. I simply never saw a need, but if needed I could investigate something that dogs don't like, like lemon oil to address the issue.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Old man on a bike
    Sorry for the belated update, but did in the last few months have a chance to check out the Chain-L on a new build (completely new drivetrain) as well as simply lube a chain that I didn't bother to clean old stuff off of (and it had had a few different lubes, like T-9 and Tri-Flow already).

I rode both bikes in a variety of terrain locally with a bit more wet than usual, then a high country trip to Colorado which had many water crossings and a fair amount of mud/muck. The Chain-L works great IMHO. Tenacious yet doesn't seem to have a high glom factor either. Wipe and ride and don't reapply as often as I'm used to. Although to be fair when I rode in conditions like this regularly I used Finish Line Wet XC formula with good results as well...but I think I like Francis' stuff better. Except for one thing. The smell, had to share a motel room with the bikes several nights, and it's definitely noticeable...

PS Oh and I did just order a coupla bottles...
    Last edited by Bikinfoolferlife; 07-15-2009 at 08:09 PM.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member

Another belated update

I've been trialling Chain-L lube since February, in parallel with other measures intended to prolong the service-life of my 3x9 drivetrain components. I'm not claiming my test was 100% rigorous, but here's my impressions after 6 months:
    • Noticeably reduced chain-wear (measured as 'chain-stretch')
    • No signs of wear on the chainrings or cassette.
    • No complaints about the odour
    • My 2 dogs haven't shown any interest at all
    Brisbane, AU

Pivoteer
    I have been using ChainL for several months as well. I am completely sold. This stuff just works. I ride in the Arizona desert, and my chain and cassette remain clean, and I can go 3 rides easily before I need to relube. Nice and quiet drivetrain is a nice addition.

Definately worth every penny.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i have finally tested the chain-l and must say is no difference than the first concoction that my brother homebrewmaster extraordinaire has concocted is just automotive gear oil found in pepboys and other auto stores. is too gunky,and smell likes hell. the second batch that my brother brew was way much better instead of using the cheaper gear oil he used the synthetic one which dont smell as bad as the cheaper one, and he mix with a solvent that made it thinner and not as gunky as chain-l and doesn't pick up as much dirt

Can Tree Member

My Chain-L Review

I just posted a product review (5 of those little chili-turd things) and wanted to elaborate a bit more here. I've been using Chain-L for over a month now, long enough to form an opinon for its suitability in dusty/dry conditions.

I bought it on a whim after seeing it advertised here, and I was initially put off by how sticky and gooey it looked so I set it aside for a couple of months. I decided to give it a try when when I was cleaning up the bike and had already cleaned up the chain with a Park chain scubber.

Application: I stared with a clean, used Dura-Ace chain. I stretched it out on the bench and applied a drop to each link, as recommended. After letting it sit overnight, I wiped it dry with paper towels. I noticed immediately that the chain didn't feel very oily, even before wiping it off. Almost all of the excess had run off of the chain and was absorbed by the paper towels that were under the chain. I installed the chain back on the bike...the rest of the drivetrain was cleaned up, but not fussy clean, from the work the day before.

On the trail: the chain stayed remarkably clean. Nobody would guess that it's got a petroleum-based lube on it...it atually looks like a clean, dry, shiny new chain. It accumulated a bit of dust on the first and second rides, but the dust wiped off clean and took any residual oil that was on the outside of the chain. I am guessing that I got over 60 miles of mixed riding (roads to extremely dusty trails) before deciding that the chain needed fresh lube, based on how it sounded. This far exceeds the performance of any of the other lube I've used in these same conditions. There is no build-up of gunk on the jockey wheels, and the chainrings and cogs are also clean and dry.

When I did a second application, I noticed that there was some accumulation of dirt on the inside of the plates, where the post-ride wipe-downs did not get to. Because of that, I cleaned the chain again before repapplying, and started over.

I've not had any wet/muddy rides yet so I don't know how long it will last and how clean it will stay in those conditions. But for a summer lube it works great...it keeps the drivetrain completely free of any gunk, much more so than any of the "wet" or "dry" lubes I've tried. (And I have tried many of them...ProLink, Dumonde, Boeshield, RnR, W/L, home-brews of various forumlations, etc.)

I would not want to apply this lube with the chain on the bike...that seems to be a ticket to a sticky mess.

Clearly, applying it is not as convenient as drizzling on some lube just before or just after a ride like you do with most other products. I think that the best way to use this product is to prepare 3 or 4 chains at once, then just put on a fresh chain when needed. For the forgetfull among us (guilty!), this is probably also a great way of extendng the life of the cassette and chainrings. Keep the chain clean between rides with a quick wipe-down, that's really all you need to do in-between chain swaps. Depending on how long the chains last in your conditions you won't have to do the clean/lube procedure that often, and by rotating the chains regularly you'll extend the life of all of the drivetrain components.

My conclusion -- I don't know what Francis put into this mysterious chain-snot, but it's the real deal.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

mtbr member
    May 2009

chain lube

In the era of fast everything who wants to be swapping chains for every ride you take.
    is just to inconvenient ,the preparation of 3 or 4 chains like you say days before you ride. and yes you must apply the lube with the chain off the bike or you will have a big mess

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    Found the designer chain lube through a friend who insisted up on putting it on my chain.....at the time I needed the lube so what da heck.

Went on a 2 hour ride and noticed big improvement in quietness and shifting smoothness compare to my rock n road gold I normally use. And also very clean too, no gunked up derailleur pullies or cassette teeth like white lightning or RnR gold.

Over all very impress as no other chain lube has worked as well for me........just ordered a big bottle.
    "Didn't your doctor tell you to stop smoking and drinking?" George Burns "Yes but they all died"

Former Bike Wrench
    Has anyone compared Chain L to Phil's Tenacious Oil

I'm just curious as it sound like they share a lot of the same properties

Thanks

Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by easyryder
    In the era of fast everything who wants to be swapping chains for every ride you take.
    is just to inconvenient ,the preparation of 3 or 4 chains like you say days before you ride. and yes you must apply the lube with the chain off the bike or you will have a big mess
    Delayed response to easyryder's comment...I noticed this when the thread popped back up with another positive review.

Re: the convenience/inconvenience of running more than one chain, it just isn't a very big deal to me. I use quick-links and it doesn't take any longer to swap out a chain than it does to lube one on the bike. It helps a lot that the Chain-L chains are basically clean and dry on the outside (both the one coming off the bike and the fresh one going back on). And it's not something I do every ride...maybe every 5 or 6, since that's how long the Chain-L lasts for me. The worst part of using Chain-L is applying it (I do it with the chain off the bike), and it just seems easier to do several at once as long as I'm going to go through the effort.

So by running 3 chains instead of 1, I get over 15 rides without having to screw around with the actual lubing process...which seems pretty convenient if you ask me. The other advantage, as I noted before, is that I'm less likely to grind up a cassette with just one chain, since I'm spreading the wear out over several.
    Last edited by Dad Man Walking; 12-10-2009 at 12:21 PM.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

EVnut
    Reviving an old thread... sorry! I can't hold my peace though.

The answer to the OP: Yes.

I love this stuff! And I haven't even used it long enough to test half of the promises (or, I should say my expectations). I've used it on four bikes now. And ridden each one a couple of times. I'm sold on it even before I find out how long it lasts. I can't believe how quiet the drivetrain is, nor how well it shifts.

I actually don't find the application to be any more messy or arduous (per ride) than any other lube I've used - when I use that lube correctly. I use Wippermann links, and taking the chain off is super-easy. But I don't expect to be needing to take the chain off very often anyway. Time will tell. But even if this stuff doesn't last as long as I suspect it will from reliable reports, I am SOLD.

Not sure what the smell complaint is, and cerainly my dog shows zero interest.

I've even used it on my out-door vice on the screw shaft. WOW. Nothing has ever worked so well on that rusted mess.
    Last edited by darelldd; 10-03-2010 at 07:38 PM.
    -= Darell The EVnut

mtbr member
    Have been using and selling this in OZ for a while and everyone that uses it correctly is hooked ITS THE BEST AROUND BY FAR!!!!

Steve

mtbr member
    I do like this stuff. So far, it's the best lube I've ever used. If applied properly, it lasts for me up to 200 km (MTB use, not road). Much sand, some dust, some mud. On the 100km mark the chain gets noisy (I guess it's the chain vs r.der. pulleys interface which makes the actual sound), but doesn't really need lubrication up to 200 km and sometimes beyond that, before it starts squeaking. On the 200 km mark I can usually still feel the smell of this lube closer to the chain.

This lube does need to be wiped off the chain very thoroughly after application and the soaking in period. Otherwise, it will collect dust, for sure. At the same time, it won't build up that messy sticky gunk which some other lubes are known to do. It will be crumbly enough and can be wiped off easily.

The second best lube I've tried so far is some LiquiMoly fully synthetic gear oil. Pretty good results: up to 150 km (rarely, more often it would be 100-120 km), very clean and fairly quiet. Easier to apply and wipe off the excess because it's thin enough (75W). I'm also using this oil in my fork's lowers and fork's and shock's air chambers, it works flawlessly there.

Also, I never clean (with gasoline or 'green' degreasers, etc) chains after each use, only (when the chain sounds tell me to) wipe off the dust and apply fresh lube. Sometimes (like once in 500-700 km) I rotate them in order to make the drivetrain wear more evenly -- at those times I give them full cleaning in a bottle with gasoline, then lubricate and wrap for storage.
    I also throw out chains stretched beyond 0.75% and put new chains in rotation.

There is one definite disadvantage though. The standard 4oz. bottle plain sucks. The application hole is way too large and spills too much oil, not allowing accurate application. Oil also leaks in that area. So I needed to pour some oil into a better bottle to ease application. It's also possible to use a syringe.

p.s. Interestingly enough, the very first application on a brand new washed in gasoline chain didn't last long for me, I had to relube after about 80 km. Subsequent applications would last much longer.
    Last edited by shapirus; 10-04-2010 at 05:04 AM.

banned
    Apr 2010
    Far from the best lube I've used. Doesn't last long at all, and in fact, the chain gets really squeaky and dry during rides. Complete junk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by junktrunk
    Far from the best lube I've used. Doesn't last long at all, and in fact, the chain gets really squeaky and dry during rides. Complete junk.
    What worked best for you and in what conditions?

banned
    Apr 2010
    I'm using Neoval wet, old Pedro's Ice Wax (the new formulation sucks, as does the old formulation when they put it only in an aerosol can).

As an idea, I found mixing cutting oil and either gear or motor oil works really well and lasts long. Chain L just runs dry and maybe lubes for the first few miles. The moment one gets to dirt, it's over, even after a thorough wiping off.

Every trail condition imaginable, from Northeastern US, western Europe, desert, etc. Even Ice Wax worked way better and lasted longer.

mtbr member
    Every trail condition imaginable, from Northeastern US, western Europe, desert, etc. Even Ice Wax worked way better and lasted longer.
    Well, that's what is called "YMMV" .

I found Ice Wax to be the worst lube ever btw. Lasts only 20 kilometers and after this the chain begins to make sounds like if it was absolutely rusted.

banned
    Apr 2010
    So then Chain L and Ice Wax are in the crap pile together.

mtbr member
    So then Chain L and Ice Wax are in the crap pile together.
    i think most folks will say different.
    did you apply the chain-l properly? it needs quite a while to soak in.

i find it weird that we have so different results, and it's therefore interesting, why.

banned
    Apr 2010
    I knew it would come down to someone from that company accusing that the product didn't live up to the hype because of misuse. I mentioned I wiped it down very well. Soaking in was part of the procedure, and not for a few minutes, but generally, a few hours to overnight. The results were the same and no noticeable improvement. It simply doesn't last long and you're naive to think that it's "weird" to have radically different results with chain lubes. The success is highly dependent on the conditions they are used in, and not only the dust and dirt, but temps, shifting, style of riding, shock loads, weight of the rider, composition of the alloys used and variations in batches, and so on. It's really not that unreasonable to think big differences would exist.

I don't care what "most folks" say. Most folks on mtbr are tools, e-riders, or shills.I care about whether something works for me, which is also why I don't use Rock and Roll lubes. Those lubes suck too.

mtbr member
    I knew it would come down to someone from that company accusing that the product didn't live up to the hype because of misuse. I mentioned I wiped it down very well. Soaking in was part of the procedure, and not for a few minutes, but generally, a few hours to overnight. The results were the same and no noticeable improvement. It simply doesn't last long and you're naive to think that it's "weird" to have radically different results with chain lubes. The success is highly dependent on the conditions they are used in, and not only the dust and dirt, but temps, shifting, style of riding, shock loads, weight of the rider, composition of the alloys used and variations in batches, and so on. It's really not that unreasonable to think big differences would exist.

I don't care what "most folks" say. Most folks on mtbr are tools, e-riders, or shills.I care about whether something works for me, which is also why I don't use Rock and Roll lubes. Those lubes suck too.
    if you understand so well the need to qualify differences in personal experience, why did you not do anything similar when you threw out an apparently universal statement that it is "complete crap".

I know a number of the people in this thread through forum interaction and a couple in real life too and I must say none of them are shills or e-riders

banned
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    if you understand so well the need to qualify differences in personal experience, why did you not do anything similar when you threw out an apparently universal statement that it is "complete crap".

I know a number of the people in this thread through forum interaction and a couple in real life too and I must say none of them are shills or e-riders
    TO balance out the unusable Ibexian "amazing" comments that are going up and guarantees and shock and awe when one finds that it didn't work great for someone, then with the attacks. Did you get some freebies?

mtbr member
    TO balance out the unusable Ibexian "amazing" comments that are going up and guarantees and shock and awe when one finds that it didn't work great for someone, then with the attacks. Did you get some freebies?
    In other words you like to make overly bold statements to get a rise out of people. The problem is you can't use a supposed wrong to justify another wrong and you know that.

and nope, haven't used it yet but I recently paid for my own sample to test it myself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I knew it would come down to someone from that company accusing that the product didn't live up to the hype because of misuse. .
    For the record, I'm the only person from Chain-L on this forum, and I didn't chalk your experience to mis-use. I could note that when folks riding under similar conditions have vastly different experience with any product, including chain lubes, one needs to look for another variable besides the product itself.

As for shills and tools, I doubt that most folks here are shills for anyone, though there may be some out there. The beauty of the internet and forums like this is that there are more than a few anecdotal comments, and the sheer numbers are usually enough to give readers a fairly accurate impression. Of course there are opinions, but they tend to average out on either side of the actual "truth".

Also for the record, after the initial offer 2 years ago, nobody got freebies, nor did I solicit reviews or responses. The revival of this thread is as much a surprise to me as anyone else. But the overall pattern of Chain-L reviews is fairly consistent and generally positive. The most recent (unsolicited) reviews published on the internet are in the waltworks blog and Ed Pavelkas Road Bike Review. I might also note that for the second year in a row, Chain-L was the best in lube category for lubes along with Rock n Roll, which interestingly enough is a vastly different product.

Of course, not everybody likes Chain-L, and if you've ever read any of my prior posts, you'd know I don't claim it's any kind of miracle product, and simply suggest that folks find and use any product that works for them. Hopefully enough will think that's Chain-L, but it's a free country, and you have tons of choices, and there's room for everybody without anyone having to get worked up or making unfounded accusations.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

banned
    Apr 2010
    Well, I call shill because I used it, didn't like it, and used other products, then all of a sudden your butthurt crew comes in like I've never seen before with any other chainlube people swear by and get emotional over. Now, people go on a mission to attack on your behalf because they can't handle when someone says your stuff isn't the be all end all for all riding conditions. Good show on that front.

mtbr member
    Well, I call shill because I used it, didn't like it, and used other products, then all of a sudden your butthurt crew comes in like I've never seen before with any other chainlube people swear by and get emotional over. Now, people go on a mission to attack on your behalf because they can't handle when someone says your stuff isn't the be all end all for all riding conditions. Good show on that front.
    it went down as you broadly calling the product crap, shapirus alone responding with good questions seeking information and then your sudden tirade about us all being shills and the company attacking you. I was the only one who got "butthurt" because I get sick of the way you word your comments in order to get that exact response out of people, and I suppose it is my weakness that I fell for your trap

banned
    Apr 2010
    I don't understand why you can't accept that the product didn't work for me and god forbid, I said so.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I don't understand why you can't accept that the product didn't work for me and god forbid, I said so.
    if this is what you had said originally no one would have said a word , but thats not what you did is it?
    you said the product is crap, all hype and anyone who dissagrees is a shill or worse
    Nobody is arguing about your perceived issues with the oil , the argument is about you being a jackass

banned
    Apr 2010
    The product is crap- it didn't live up to the massive hype. Accept it.

mtbr member
    The product is crap- it didn't live up to the massive hype. Accept it.
    I think you are the confused one here. I have no problem accepting that it didn't work you and won't work for everyone, but then you want to say the product is complete crap because it didn't work you (despite it working well for others). That is what I can't accept

banned
    Apr 2010
    Well, accept it. And accept someone saying so.

mtbr member
    Well, accept it. And accept someone saying so.
    to clarify your words so you can confirm or deny them: as soon as one person has a bad experience with a product it becomes complete crap

banned
    Apr 2010
    Yep. Maybe if you fanbois didn't hype it for your boy fb, then people wouldn't have false expectations. And then bashing the moment there's criticism is pretty suspect.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    You're implying that these are my shills, which is offensive both to me, and to the posters. I don't know any of these people, nor do I solicit their posts in any way. They post their positive opinions just the same way you post your negative opinion.

You're the one who insists on calling them shills, or implying that I somehow pay them off. Since you bring it up, for all I know you're a shill for a competitor.

It's very simple, some people like certain products, others hate them, and all opinions are equally valid in that they're opinions. But characterizing forum members as shills, or implying that they're bought off is what stirs up their and my anger. As for the hype, read my site, there is no hype. I describe the product, and offer it for sale to those who want it. Those who don't want or like it are free not to buy it.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

mtbr member
    Yep. Maybe if you fanbois didn't hype it for your boy fb, then people wouldn't have false expectations. And then bashing the moment there's criticism is pretty suspect.
    if you agree with that last statement then I rest my case. And if you understand so well what "YMMV" means then you must understand that building your own hopes so high off of other people's comments is your own darn fault. I have no problem with criticism but that's not exactly what you were presenting

banned
    Apr 2010
    why are you so invested and outspoken on this stuff and why can't you handle someone saying it doesn't work? Fanbois can bash and bash, but never handle someone not liking their favorite products because they emotionally invested.

mtbr member
    why are you so invested and outspoken on this stuff and why can't you handle someone saying it doesn't work? Fanbois can bash and bash, but never handle someone not liking their favorite products because they emotionally invested.
    my comments haven't been about the product but about you. I suppose I have a fatal attraction to you. I see antagonistic jerks and I want to "fix" them through logical argument but all that usually does it poke the sleeping bear and drag me into the mud-slinging. Man, this coffee does wonders for self-reflection

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Man, this coffee does wonders for self-reflection
    ... and social sites like this teach you how hard it is to be social, don't they?
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    ... and social sites like this teach you how hard it is to be social, don't they?
    being social would be great if it weren't for all the other people

banned
    Apr 2010
    Exactly.

AZ
    banned
    I like the stuff and will buy it again , and no I'm not pimping it .

mtbr member

Good stuff

• I love Chain-L oil.
    • It's the best lube I've tested.
    • And I'd like it even more if it were available in a larger (>4oz) bottle :-)
    Brisbane, AU

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hootsmon
    • I love Chain-L oil.
    • It's the best lube I've tested.
    • And I'd like it even more if it were available in a larger (>4oz) bottle :-)
    Coming soon, something in the 20-32oz. range for shop use, but available to anyone. We're testing bottles now, which is a bit more complicated because the larger the bottle is the more of a problem breakage becomes.

Between the savings on the bottle and packaging labor, I expect that it'll drop the per oz. cost by more than half.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

Just a flesh wound
    Chain-L is the best. Works great in Mass.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY
    Coming soon, something in the 20-32oz. range for shop use, but available to anyone. We're testing bottles now, which is a bit more complicated because the larger the bottle is the more of a problem breakage becomes.

Between the savings on the bottle and packaging labor, I expect that it'll drop the per oz. cost by more than half.
    Call me at the shop tomorrow, I have an idea for you.

I think I like the idea of half price

Pivoteer

I am a Chain-L fan. I like the idea of the Costco model, though $12 for 4oz that lasts forever is a great deal to begin with.

Enthusiast
    Maybe Include an applicator of some sort in the package. Perhaps a modified irrigation syringe might work. That way the user doesn't have to hold a big, huge bottle his hands while lubing his chain.

Spanish rider
    I bought a bottle of this stuff last year and after having used 3/4 of the 4 oz.botlle my conclusions are:

- It definitely lasts longer than any other lube I've tried on&off-road but not as much as claimed (50 km on dry, dusty spanish trails and about 200 km on road)
    - It lubes better than other oils, runs absolutely quiet
    - It's NOT messier than other products (in fact it collects less dirt than expected)
    - Its main advantage is not only the high viscosity, but also how it sticks to surfaces. Thanks to this, the lube stays longer where it's suppossed to be. This means that cleaning yours hands from chain -l is extremely hard BTW.
    A pessimist is an experienced optimist

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I love Chain-L on the road bike (I hope that isn't a 4 letter word around this forum). I got caught in the rain for 45 minutes and haven't had to re-lube yet (1 month later)....plus the chain is still quiet. I only had to relube once or twice during the summer.

As for the mountain. I did a few rides with it and it was ok for me, but I think that was due to myself not making sure it was wiped off all the way. I will try it again when it comes time to swap chains so I can really let it soak in and wiped clean prior to install.

I purchased the bottle from my LBS and I never met man behind Chain-L so I can't be called a shill. He does make a great product that I would recommend, so you can put me in the fanboy category.

More Torque
    Chain-L is the best lube I've used on the road bike. I started using it six months ago and have only re-lubed once after the initial application. I used to get 3 rides out of Prolink gold before I had to re-apply.

I have not tried it on the MTB, as I'm still working through my stock of the old formula Ice Wax; feel free to draw your own conclusions as to the relevance to off-road riding.

I will also say that my order was shipped quickly and the accompanying communication made me feel like a valued customer.

-D

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've been through a multitude of chain lubricants and was extremely skeptical when I purchased Chain-L having been disappointed repeatedly in the past. As it stands, I can honestly say this product does the job and does it extremely well. It's comes in very unassuming packaging but don't be fooled. The labeling is classic! Complete with printed instructions and a personally signed note was something I didn't expect. At around $10 plus shipping, it's well worth trying.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chain-L oil !!!!-chain-l.jpg  

Saving lives with knives.
    Yeah, I hate to proclaim any product as "revolutionary" but this stuff comes pretty close. I have done three centuries plus regular riding on my road bike which includes a significant portion of riding in down pours and the stuff just refuses to wear off. I can happily report that it is 90% as clean as Prolink, just a little wipe down of the chain after a ride and my drive train stays clean. Similar successes on my mtb, lots of dusty riding mixed with some light rain and it is still far from needing to be relubed. This stuff is super quiet too. I have a total of ~400 miles on my road bike and ~100 on my mtb on a single lube. While the road bike is starting to sound a little dry, my mtb is still dead silent. Hands down best lube out there!
    Formerly known as iceaxe

I would certainly pick up a large container of the stuff were it to become available. I like the idea of a syringe for application purposes--I suppose a brake bleeding syringe would work.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    I used Chain-L, and was not sure how I can tell when I need to reapply. If the chain seems dry, is that the sign? Or can there still be oil in the innards of the chain?

Thanks.
    Mark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moshemark
    I used Chain-L, and was not sure how I can tell when I need to reapply. If the chain seems dry, is that the sign? Or can there still be oil in the innards of the chain?
    Smell your chain . Chain-L has a definite smell so you can check if there's any left in the chain.
    Alternatively, listen to it. When there's too little or no lube left, chains become noisy/squeaky. This applies to all lubes, not just the Chain-L.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirthead
    Received my sample a couple of days ago. It is very thick compared to the other lube I typically use......ProLink. I'm in Phoenix and the trails are VERY dusty. It's going to be interesting seeing how much dust Chain-L picks up. I have to relube with ProLink every 1-2 hrs of ride time, but it picks up the least amount of dust of anything I've tried so far. Planning to relube with Chain-L today and hit the trail. I'll post as to how it works compared to ProLink.
    Try Squirt lube (a wax based long lasting lube). There was a long thread on it here a while back. It picks up a lot less dust than ProLink.

Also, on the subject of chains not requiring lube, I used to run pure paraffin wax. I was on a ride when the wax wore out and the chain would suck while pedaling. So, you absolutely need lube on the chain to reduce friction. Plus, the squeaking will drive you crazy.

I never thought of the smell test...Chain-l is very quiet stuff, I relube when it starts to get a little noisy. I've been riding all winter with it. Absolutely great stuff.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shapirus
    Smell your chain . Chain-L has a definite smell so you can check if there's any left in the chain.
    Alternatively, listen to it. When there's too little or no lube left, chains become noisy/squeaky. This applies to all lubes, not just the Chain-L.
    Unless you have a bloodhound's nose, there'll still be oil inside long after you can't smell it anymore. Probably the best indicator is sound, though it gets noisier slowly and you don't want to wait until it's completely dry. On my own bikes, I go by gut feeling, figuring that if I can't remember the last time I oiled it now might be the time.

I also sail and years ago (one minute after it was too late) A old experienced skipper taught my first and best lesson about when to reduce sail as winds picked up. The time to reduce sail is when you first start to think about it Likewise with Chain-L, if you think it might be time, re-oil it. Worst case, you'll be wasting a bit of time and oil.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

Enthusiast
    [/I]Likewise with Chain-L, if you think it might be time, re-oil it. Worst case, you'll be wasting a bit of time and oil.
    That is sort of the approach I take. I wipe crud off and relube probably more often than I really need to. I don't worry too much about getting the last possible mile out of an application of lube.

Mountain Man Dan
    I applied this lube according to the directions, wiped off every speck of lube on the outside, and I still end up with a black messy chain......grrr. Now it's a black, dirty mess. Got any tips?

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35 View Post
    I applied this lube according to the directions, wiped off every speck of lube on the outside, and I still end up with a black messy chain......grrr. Now it's a black, dirty mess. Got any tips?
    That's normal. Just wipe it down with a clean rag. You might need to do it after the next few rides, but after that, it will stay relatively clean and quiet.

I just re-applied my Chain-L yesterday, and I'm planning on the same cycle over the course of the next few rides. I've not re-lubed since January, and my drivetrain finally started to get a bit louder, which is how you know when it is time.

Good luck.

-D

Mountain Man Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~ View Post
    That's normal. Just wipe it down with a clean rag. You might need to do it after the next few rides, but after that, it will stay relatively clean and quiet.

I just re-applied my Chain-L yesterday, and I'm planning on the same cycle over the course of the next few rides. I've not re-lubed since January, and my drivetrain finally started to get a bit louder, which is how you know when it is time.

Good luck.

-D
    But won't this black mess be causing tons of wear to the chain? I can't see the internals of the chain but I imagine it's in there too.

While I'm no expert, I suspect that the "black mess" is just dust that gets stuck to the lube. No doubt some get's into your roller's, but I'll bet it's far less deleterious than having a thinner lube that is cleaner but wears our far more quickly. I've been using this stuff for a year now and I will say that while it isn't the cleanest lube, it is by far the most durable--and in the end, that is what matters--I mean the stuff is supposed to stick to metal and lubricate... right?
    Formerly known as iceaxe

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    But won't this black mess be causing tons of wear to the chain? I can't see the internals of the chain but I imagine it's in there too.
    my chain is actually lasting longer
    I usually wipe it down a second time withe either a dry rag or one with a small amount of degreaser, just damp enough to cut it but not enough to get into the rollers

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I've been using chain-l since the spring, and now in cooler weather. I probably do 8-10 MTB rides before degreasing and reapplying. With the other lighter top rated lubes, I rag cleaned and reapplied after each ride. So the best features of chain-l are reduced maintenance along with superior lubrication. I also cross several streams on a ride, and chain-l lasts.

Mountain Man Dan
    This is by far the best lube ever made. I love that I only have to apply every 4-7 rides, riding in New England, that's awesome! Chain stays really clean if you maintain it, as in wipe it down after each ride. Only put one DOT on each roller on the inside. So awesome! Smells a bit in the hot summer or when you leave it in the car.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

Can Tree Member
    This is by far the best lube ever made. I love that I only have to apply every 4-7 rides, riding in New England, that's awesome! Chain stays really clean if you maintain it, as in wipe it down after each ride. Only put one DOT on each roller on the inside. So awesome! Smells a bit in the hot summer or when you leave it in the car.
    I reported the same results back in 2009...fussy to apply but lasted longer than any other lube and kept the chain remarkably clean for a heavy oil-based lube. I agree with all of the positive comments that people have about this product.

However...(there's always a however)...I found myself moving back to lubes that can be applied with the chain on the bike...specifically the Dumonde Tech products. For right now, they seem to have the best combination of performance, longevity, and convenience when you add it all up.

But then again, I'm a chain lube whore...I'm still looking for the holy grail that goes on clean, stays clean, lasts forever, and tastes as good as it smells. I'm not holding out a lot of hope, but the quest continues. (And if I was out of Dumonde, the Chain-L is the next thing I'd reach for.)
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

Mountain Man Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad Man Walking View Post
    I reported the same results back in 2009...fussy to apply but lasted longer than any other lube and kept the chain remarkably clean for a heavy oil-based lube. I agree with all of the positive comments that people have about this product.

However...(there's always a however)...I found myself moving back to lubes that can be applied with the chain on the bike...specifically the Dumonde Tech products. For right now, they seem to have the best combination of performance, longevity, and convenience when you add it all up.

But then again, I'm a chain lube whore...I'm still looking for the holy grail that goes on clean, stays clean, lasts forever, and tastes as good as it smells. I'm not holding out a lot of hope, but the quest continues. (And if I was out of Dumonde, the Chain-L is the next thing I'd reach for.)
    I apply mine on the bike. Put the chain on the biggest ring you got up front, and the smallest in the back ( moves the chain farthest away from the rim ). Put one dot on each roller, let soak in for a few min. Wipe off till you see no more oil strings coming off from the chain. Go ride, wipe down after every ride.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

Pivoteer

I agree. I have been a huge fan of of Chain-L. I recently changed over to a KMC chain and I get a very squeaky chain after only 2 rides. I could go for 4 or 5 rides with Shimano chains.

I pull my chain off, do the one drop per link, let it set in, then wipe, wipe wipe. Put it back on the bike and wipe, wipe, wipe some more. Being in the desert. I am shocked at how clean the outside of the chain stays. However, when I pull the quicklink off, the roller is black and a bit gritty. So, with my new chain, having to go through the application process every 2 rides, I decided to try something new.

I have a few buddies running Maxima chainwax and they easily get the life out of their drivetrain I do when using Chain-L. So I tried it and kind-a liking it. I apply the lube the same way. I pull the chain, spray one side, turn it over and spray the other. Let it set for 30 minutes, wipe it off quickly and put it on the bike.

The Maxima lube is very quiet, becasue it is dry I can easily get 4 rides now, and when I pull the quicklink, the rollers are clean. The cassette, jockey pulleys, and chainrings have zero build up or dirt. The cassette and chain look like I just washed them.

I'm not possitive I am staying with Maxima, but so far so good. Application is far quicker, cleaner, and it lasts longer. It is dirt cheap for lube. I will run this drivetrain until it dies (I never change my chain, I replace the drivetrain all at once). I know many people have had good luck with Maxima, in my case the dry part seems beneficial.

Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    I agree. I have been a huge fan of of Chain-L. I recently changed over to a KMC chain and I get a very squeaky chain after only 2 rides. I could go for 4 or 5 rides with Shimano chains.

I pull my chain off, do the one drop per link, let it set in, then wipe, wipe wipe. Put it back on the bike and wipe, wipe, wipe some more. Being in the desert. I am shocked at how clean the outside of the chain stays. However, when I pull the quicklink off, the roller is black and a bit gritty. So, with my new chain, having to go through the application process every 2 rides, I decided to try something new.

I have a few buddies running Maxima chainwax and they easily get the life out of their drivetrain I do when using Chain-L. So I tried it and kind-a liking it. I apply the lube the same way. I pull the chain, spray one side, turn it over and spray the other. Let it set for 30 minutes, wipe it off quickly and put it on the bike.

The Maxima lube is very quiet, becasue it is dry I can easily get 4 rides now, and when I pull the quicklink, the rollers are clean. The cassette, jockey pulleys, and chainrings have zero build up or dirt. The cassette and chain look like I just washed them.

I'm not possitive I am staying with Maxima, but so far so good. Application is far quicker, cleaner, and it lasts longer. It is dirt cheap for lube. I will run this drivetrain until it dies (I never change my chain, I replace the drivetrain all at once). I know many people have had good luck with Maxima, in my case the dry part seems beneficial.
    You'll stay with Maxima until the next wunder-lube comes around and then you'll drop it like a trig class. Here's my list of "favs" and other things I've tried over the years:

1. Hot paraffin. Worked great on old-style 7sp chains, on the road only. Cleanest way to lube the chain ever, which was great when road tires flatted every 3rd ride. Does not work on newer thin chains, and wouldn't work off-road regardless. But it was still my all-time fav. One of those "good-old-days" things.

2. Light oil - sewing machine oil. Worked, and was horribly messy when you had to touch the chain (like when you flatted in the rear, which was all the time. Never liked it, put up with it.

3. Pro-Link. My first "modern" lube after being away from the sport for a while. Never felt the love for this one.

4. Home-brew. This was my next "fav" for several years. Super cheap, and easy to apply after every ride since you just drenched the chain and wiped off the excess. But I eventually gave up on it after concluding that it sometimes didn't last an entire ride. I still have a quart of it in the garage, and use it to lube my friend's bikes

5. Boeshield. This was pretty decent stuff, some solution (vs. suspension) of paraffin, if I understand correctly. I thought it was pretty pricey for a "every ride" type of lube, however and never bought a second bottle.

6. White Lightning. Never, ever felt the love for this. I have friends who swear by it, but they don't ride much so I nod appreciatively and ignore them. Seems to me that it does a fine job of making the chain look clean after you wipe off all of the excess wax and crud, but I never felt like it was lubricating the innards of the chain.

7. Rock-and-Roll (couple of flavors). A fav of the local bike shop guys, and they are serious MTB'ers so I give them a lot of credibility. I just never felt the love for this though...another waxy suspension that seemed to last one ride, didn't work as well as Boeshield, and was just as expensive.

8. Dumonde Tech (regular and light) I started using the yellow light formula on my fixed gear roadie, and was sold on it for this purpose. Apply on the bike like any other lube (starting with a clean chain the first time). Lasts for lots of road rides (I lose count, just re-lube when the chain starts to get that musical "lube me" sound). I didn't try it on the MTB (was still doing homebrew) until my local shop started carrying the thicker, regular stuff. It's my current lube of choice...3-4 rides between lubing (in my conditions) vs. 5-7 on the Chain-L, with a much easier and faster application technique.

9. Chain-L. The best lube of all, as I've noted already. I just don't have the patience to apply it properly. If I had more time/fewer kids I'd think about going back though.

10. Some DuPont dry-lube spray paraffin product I got at Lowe's. I was hoping to recreate the magic of the old paraffin days, in a convenient spray can. But it's not really all that good other than it keeps the chain looking clean and lubed. But does not last long.

I would try Maxima if I could get my hands on some.

So basically you're looking at 10 years of paraffin on my road bikes, then a 5 year lay-off, followed by nearly one lube per year on my quest for the holy grail (of lubes, that is.)
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    After looking for an all-weather lube for my commuter, I came up with a review of Chain-L claiming it was the best lube ever, I started reading and after some days after I got an online dealer here in Mexico.

On one weekend I started cleaning my chain which was terribly noisy thanks to heavy downpours of rain. I've been using White Lightning "Clean" lube which is IMO the worst lube I've ever used, it doesn't last not even one ride. Before that I used Finish Line Teflon lube which lasted a little bit more.

So I started using Park Tool scrubber along with a bottle of spray with Green degreaser, in the end I had to remove the chain (this is a KMC 7-sp chain) because it scrambled like crazy, after degreasing it I used a new scrubbing brush along with water to remove every bit of gunk and particles left on the links. Left it to sunlight to dry up, subsequently dried again with a paper towel, left some more minutes, installed chain on bike without the lube.

Warmed up the Chain-L bottle on water, then applied to each link a drop, rotated the cranks backwards, let the lube sit there overnight. In the morning I cleaned all the remainder of lube outside the links, sprockets and chain-rings.

I've ridden the bike for 2 weeks, and even after heavy run the chain still runs silently. It's a joy to ride my cheap bike with this lube, let's see how much it holds up, I'm impressed. Kudos to the owner of Chain-L. Good Stuff
    Main Rig: Blue Forge Sawback 5xx 19" | Past Rigs: '07 Giant Boulder SE, Jamis Dakar 05

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by giantyukon View Post
    After looking for an all-weather lube for my commuter, I came up with a review of Chain-L claiming it was the best lube ever, I started reading and after some days after I got an online dealer here in Mexico......

I've ridden the bike for 2 weeks, and even after heavy run the chain still runs silently. It's a joy to ride my cheap bike with this lube, let's see how much it holds up, I'm impressed. Kudos to the owner of Chain-L. Good Stuff
    Thanks for posting the review. Would you consider posting a shortened version in the lube section of the product reviews area where it'll be permanent?
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

RIDE...
    Quote Originally Posted by giantyukon View Post
    After looking for an all-weather lube for my commuter, I came up with a review of Chain-L claiming it was the best lube ever, I started reading and after some days after I got an online dealer here in Mexico.

On one weekend I started cleaning my chain which was terribly noisy thanks to heavy downpours of rain. I've been using White Lightning "Clean" lube which is IMO the worst lube I've ever used, it doesn't last not even one ride. Before that I used Finish Line Teflon lube which lasted a little bit more.

So I started using Park Tool scrubber along with a bottle of spray with Green degreaser, in the end I had to remove the chain (this is a KMC 7-sp chain) because it scrambled like crazy, after degreasing it I used a new scrubbing brush along with water to remove every bit of gunk and particles left on the links. Left it to sunlight to dry up, subsequently dried again with a paper towel, left some more minutes, installed chain on bike without the lube.

Warmed up the Chain-L bottle on water, then applied to each link a drop, rotated the cranks backwards, let the lube sit there overnight. In the morning I cleaned all the remainder of lube outside the links, sprockets and chain-rings.

I agree, I have used Chain-L in different MTB races, La Ruta (mud and water) Titan dessert in morocco (sand, dry and more sand) Transportugal (wet, cold, rain, everything) and in Mexico, and it works, no other lube needed

mtbr member
    You'll stay with Maxima until the next wunder-lube comes around and then you'll drop it like a trig class. Here's my list of "favs" and other things I've tried over the years:

1. Hot paraffin. Worked great on old-style 7sp chains, on the road only. Cleanest way to lube the chain ever, which was great when road tires flatted every 3rd ride. Does not work on newer thin chains, and wouldn't work off-road regardless. But it was still my all-time fav. One of those "good-old-days" things.
    FWIW, I use hot paraffin on my 2x10 road bike, shifting sucks for the first 5-10 minutes of riding after each wax application and then it's butter for ~400 miles.

I've yet to convert any of my mountain bikes to wax but want to for the bikes that dont see much wet weather riding.

Chain L has always intrigued me but I've been a big fan of Pro-Link other than that it doesnt last long. Dumonde seems to be working really well on the mountain bikes since I ran out of Pro-Link.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post

Chain L has always intrigued me but I've been a big fan of Pro-Link other than that it doesnt last long. Dumonde seems to be working really well on the mountain bikes since I ran out of Pro-Link.
    When friends ask me whether they should switch to Chain-L, I always give the same answer. Don't tamper with success, if you're happy with your current product and method, stay with it. But if you're not satisfied, and you're looking for a longer service interval, better wet performance, or a quieter drivetrain, you might be happy with Chain-L.

Then again, you might not, but chain lube is far and away the least expensive product you can experiment with. It's not like you're investing in an expensive frame, built wheel, derailleur or even a tire. I don't claim everybody loves Chain-L, but lot's of user of other products confirm it compares very well with with what they've used in the past.

I'm not claiming miracles, simply offering another choice for those who want it.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks FBinNY for creating this marvelous product, last weekend 130km and still my drivetrain quiet!
    Main Rig: Blue Forge Sawback 5xx 19" | Past Rigs: '07 Giant Boulder SE, Jamis Dakar 05

Maromero
    It's been almost four years since I started using Chain-L, it's still the only lube I use on my drivetrain. Thanks Francis.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje View Post
    It's been almost four years since I started using Chain-L, it's still the only lube I use on my drivetrain. Thanks Francis.
    I've never seen Chain-L on the shelf but might try it in the drier warmer summer time. Difficult to compare anything when using a muddy mountain bike in the cold. Motorcycle and chainsaw oils (Scottoil and Stihl Semisynthetic, and diesel motor oil all seem to provide good lube and are not overly expensive. As it only takes a few drops a time, a quart / liter lasts many months.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    BTW- there are still openings in my offer of free test samples of Chain-L #5, if anyone's interested.
    I want some!

mtbr member
    I broke down and ordered this, been using it for more than a month now. I've only had to lube my chain twice, where in these same conditions mud; dust and mileage, I would've cleaned and lubed my chain a large number of times. I'm sold on Chain-L and I tell every bike shop and rider I come across. I've used every other oil, wax and teflon based lubes out there and this is by far the best I've used.
    Does it pick up dirt? Yes it does, but a good post ride wipe down has kept me rolling silent. Break down and get this product, read the instructions, which are common sense to me anyway, and you'll be rolling lubed and silent too!
    2010 Fuel EX9: Eat Paleo, Feel Great!
    Dirt is Natural, Pavement is Un-natural, Stay Dirty My Friends!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Has anyone compared this to purple extreme?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    Has anyone compared this to purple extreme?
    yup.. much prefer Chain-L

Chain-L.. longer lasting, MUCH quieter drive train, BUT-- need to really strip and soak the chain the first time you use it... very time consuming (nice rainy weekend project)
    Purple Extreme - MUCH easier just drip on and done but the drive train get's loud faster and it doesn't last anywhere near as long.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I'd rather spend the time and do it correctly the first time as I did with Chain-L. I have going on a long ride and hear my drivetrain slowly creak more and more into the ride. It's unsettling and distractive. I'll "stick" to Chain-L for as long as it continues to satisfy my needs.
    2010 Fuel EX9: Eat Paleo, Feel Great!
    Dirt is Natural, Pavement is Un-natural, Stay Dirty My Friends!

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Does anybody know, what's happening with Chain L website? Sent them a question yesterday, still no answer. I want to order it online, but I'm afraid the website's not operational...

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Aba Grizzly View Post
    Does anybody know, what's happening with Chain L website? Sent them a question yesterday, still no answer. I want to order it online, but I'm afraid the website's not operational...
    working fine for me...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. The website works fine, it's the people behind it that worry me... I mean, their facebook was updated something like a year ago, I just wanted to know if they are still in business via their website also.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    ya,.. it's a very small company with just 2 or 3 guys I believe.. he's usually pretty good about getting back to you with in 24 hrs unless he's on a trip or doing a show or something.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Thanks...

Then I'll ask my question here, if you don't mind, maybe you know the answer:

How does the Chain-L performs in dusty powder conditions? I mean not being dry lube? It bugs me very much, since I've tried almost every lube we have in the country, and nothing works - after the first powder bath the chain starts squeaking and makes noises even though I just lubed and wiped it dry. The only lube that works for now is Morgan Blue Dry Lube (which is wet), but it is too messy, after it absorbs dust powder it becomes black clay on the chain. So how does the Chain-L performs in these conditions?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Thanks...

Then I'll ask my question here, if you don't mind, maybe you know the answer:

How does the Chain-L performs in dusty powder conditions? I mean not being dry lube? It bugs me very much, since I've tried almost every lube we have in the country, and nothing works - after the first powder bath the chain starts squeaking and makes noises even though I just lubed and wiped it dry. The only lube that works for now is Morgan Blue Dry Lube (which is wet), but it is too messy, after it absorbs dust powder it becomes black clay on the chain. So how does the Chain-L performs in these conditions?
    well it's a thick oil lube.. so it will attract dirt, and dust (as with any lube really) is going to be an issue.

the Key with Chain L is the application and first few ride care... here's what i do with it as I often ride on CT coast line and end up with everything from dry clay, loose gravel, beach sand, organic material (rotten leaves basically).. bla bla bla... pretty much every surface there is I hit in a 2 mile stretch of trail :/

taking the chain off the bike is best, and clean it... I often just strip it with a mix of a good orange base cleaner mixed with rubbing alcohol, then baths of plan water till the water come out clear.. But if new or clean you don't have to strip it.

making sure the chain is dry I Heat the oil (boil water in Microwave then drop the oil in the water for a few min's before apply.. DON'T micro or boil the water with the oil in the container!!!)
    With the chain out in the sun to heat it if possible, drip the oil on each roller, let sit in the sun then flip over after 1/2 hour or so and apply a drip again... let sit and wick in the sun (warmth thins the oil and helps it wick in)

Now, the key is to take a MOIST but not soaked rag with 90% rubbing alcohol and wipe the chain.. the alcohol wont so much remove the oil but "skin" it sorta and it'll loose some of it's tackiness. get as much off the out side as possible, but make sure the rag isn't so soaked that the alcohol drips or wicks into the chain....

mount up the chain and ride it.. before and/or after the 1st 1/2 dozen rides or so you'll need to do the whole moist alcohol rag wipe down thing, just run it thru while on the bike.

after that you'll notice the chain stops attracting dirt and the whole drive train will run quiet

It sounds like a lot,.. and compared to just drip and go it is, but after it's done you'll ride for months without having to re-apply (thou probably sooner in your conditions)

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Thank you for these tips. You convinced me. I'll give it a try and order the lube today.

What is 90% rubbing alcohol? Can standard 100% alcohol or 40% vodka replace it?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    90% rubbing alcohol.. medical alcohol.... comes in 65-70% and 90% usually, can be had at any pharmacy. the 90% just has less water and works better..

not the same as drinking alcohol

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    OK, I understand. And yet another question - when you wipe the chain with the soaked rag - do you wipe only the sides, or the up/down also? Because when you wipe up/down - you wipe the rolls themselves, is it good for the lubing process?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    OK, I understand. And yet another question - when you wipe the chain with the soaked rag - do you wipe only the sides, or the up/down also? Because when you wipe up/down - you wipe the rolls themselves, is it good for the lubing process?
    up, down, sides.. get anything external.. the oil only need to be inside the roller/bearing anything outside only attracts the dirt and doesn't lube anything.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    You're great, thank you. I'll give it a try and report outcomes in a few weeks.

Ride Everything
    I've been testing Chain-L for several weeks, and I gotta say, it's outlasted every other lube I've tried. People who complain about it being dirtier are probably re-lubing before it's time, and/or not wiping down the chain after the initial application.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Well, it's been a month since I'm using Chain-L and I'm ready to share my review.

I ride all-mountain style in very hot and dry conditions. Which means a lot of dust, but the main problem is dust powder. It's not just sand or dust, it's a dust that's been milled so fine, that it's become powder. This powder penetrates everything and sucks out any lubricant off any machine. Those of yo, who ever served in a desert must have known this - this is what's left after tanks and other heavy machinery.

The problem with this powder that it sucks out any lube out of the chain in no time. I mean one powder bath is enough for the chain will start screeching, and after I get home I can find the chain totally dry.

So I've been in my search for the lube that'll give some peace of mind.

I've tried Rock-n-Roll red dry lube and Joe's nano something dry lube. Both of them very watery, RNR messes everything in red, and Joe's messes everything in black. Both of them work up to 10 kms of riding, after that you either relube, or go home with awfully noisy crank which bugs you all the way with different grinding sounds...

After that I found Morgan Blue dry lube, which is actually wet and silicon-based, but works way better than any mass-product stuff. But there're also a couple of problems with it -
    1. It gives only 20-30 kms of riding until grinding sounds. It is significantly better than the RNR and Joe's, but still...
    2. Being mixed with dust powder during the ride, it becomes black strong clay on the chain, which is hard to remove even with a strong solvent.

Then I found Chain-L. My impressions. Thick. Sticky. Smells funny. Beautiful color.

The chain before, with Morgan Blue, after one ride. Just to show what I have to deal with.

Missing link opened. I have to say, that I think that this is a must have on a chain.

Clean shiny chain baking in the sun. I use Joe's Bio Degriser stuff, I have to wash my chain in the water, so I have to bake it afterwards.

Just before lubing. A couple of words about the Chain-L bottle. I found it useful and comfortable to work with. But I have to say, that this may not apply for everyone, 'cos I do lube very generously, I soak the chain. If you like very precise lubing or if you lube on bike - it will be a problem. You'll want to use a syringe of something.

Lubed. Here I also want to make some marks. I've read here a couple of people who advised to leave it overnight or lube with a heated lube. I strongly advise against it. This lube is an oil-based and not a miracle fairy stuff - it doesn't stick magically to the metal and just stays there. The more you'll leave it on the surface to penetrate - the more of the lube will just flow down and soak the paper underneath it, the less will stay on the chain itself. The same applies to heating. I'd stick in this case to Francis' advice and give it 20-40 minutes depending on the temperature in the room. That'll be enough.

After lubing I've cleaned it with a rag and went riding.
    This is the picture after the first ride. As you can see, it is slightly cleaner, than if I were using Morgan Blue.

Cleaned with a rag.

The chain after the second ride.

Now, a couple of words and conclusions. Chain-L gives me peace of mind for 60 to 80 kms of riding, until it starts to grind. When I say grind, I mean that the outer film of the lube is totally dry. The lube still exists in the rolls, but the powder already ate up the outer film, which causes horrible noises when metal meets metal. I do degrease and relube when I start to hear it.
    If I do not perform cleaning after the first ride, it gives me one awfully dirty chain, but actually additional few kms of silence.
    All in all, this stuff is better than anything I have around available for use, though it's not a miracle potion that some pronounced it. It is good though. I also think its potential on asphalt is beyond any wild dreams.

Hope I helped to some of you to decide.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    All in all, this stuff is better than anything I have around available for use, though it's not a miracle potion that some pronounced it. It is good though. I also think its potential on asphalt is beyond any wild dreams.

Hope I helped to some of you to decide.
    Thanks for the review.

By coincidence, this review by someone who rides in similar conditions was just posted. MN Bike Trail Navigator

His results were very similar to yours. All in all I'm happily surprised that it performs this well under your conditions because dry dust is the worst condition for Chain-L. I originally designed it for those who, like me, ride road bikes rain or shine (mostly rain).

BTW- just for the record, I never promised a miracle, just better lubrication with less effort.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3