mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Can you recommend a good PF30 bottom bracket?

My new bike (frame) requires a PF30 BB with a 68 shell width.
    I've heard you have to pick and install very carefully otherwise creaking problems may arise. Are ceramic bearings worth the extra cost?
    Any suggestions?

Formerly of Kent
    Enduro TorqTite.

With angular contact bearings.

Or similar thread-together models.
    Death from Below.

Rent this space for $
    I'm listening. I've also been told by some sharp mechanics to stick with the cheap SRAM and replace it before it goes too far south and requires a final epoxy install. I have a fresh build SJ Carbon Expert Evo that I put the Wheels Mfg ABEC5 angular contact PF30. Within weeks one of the bearings was grungy so I pulled the sheild to find a completely dry bearing which I lubed and that helped but now, just a few months of use from new, both bearings are toast and it creaks like a mofo. I just yanked it out tonight and I'm headed in to Art's in the morning for a warranty return and want to find something that actually works. They have the TorqTite in stock.

Is it really worth going to something more high dollar like the TorqTite or will that be doing the same creaking which seems to be inherent with the design of the whole system? Also, do you have the TorqTite wrenches or is there a reasonable facsimile?

Plays with tools
    Kogel, Praxis, Enduro and Wheels MFG all make great PF30 units. If you've got a problem with creaking you should get some measurements to see if your frame is out of spec and if so get a BB that expands to work better in those situations.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Kogel, Praxis, Enduro and Wheels MFG all make great PF30 units. If you've got a problem with creaking you should get some measurements to see if your frame is out of spec and if so get a BB that expands to work better in those situations.
    How about Token's tiramic? I can get one for less than 48 shipped.

Rent this space for $
    Returned my Wheels Mfg and picked up the SRAM PF30 and pressed it in today. Nice and smooth and quiet for $32 at Art's. I fondled the Enduro TorqueTite PF30. I really like it and it's design makes a whole lotta sense. Way more sense than what I returned that utilized an O-ring interface with the frame. I also got some real good feedback from a custom builder that's been using them for many months without flaw, so far. A few other real world examples, as well, all positive. I'm on the trail for now with cheap but I'm thinking seriously about rolling with the TorqTite with SS bearings, not the XD15 ceramic. I'll keep my attention on real world experience for a little while before I spend the coin.

I like turtles
    Basic SRAM worked just fine for me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by cat5fred View Post
    How about Token's tiramic? I can get one for less than 48 shipped.
    A press fit bottom bracket is not a place where I want to cut corners to save $20. I'd much rather install it and take it for granted.

I like turtles
    ^^^So much negative about them but plenty of folks running them with zero issues. Just over 2K miles on my Stumpjumper with a PF BB, first BB was a SRAM and lasted until I replaced it with the one that came with my S-Works crank at around 800 miles. Still was ok. My S-Works one is smooth as silk. They have never creaked. While I agree that skimping is usually bad, over-doing it for the sake of what is touted as 100% creak/fail on the internet is also a bad move.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My Czar has a basic SRAM. Installed with liberal use teflon paste. Zero issues or noise in 2 years. I'm sure one day it'll go bad and another $20 SRAM will go on. Do I recommend the sram when friends ask which bb for their new expensive frame? Nope. Don't want to be that guy who preached up the bb only to have it make noise the first month.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    My Czar has a basic SRAM. Installed with liberal use teflon paste. Zero issues or noise in 2 years. I'm sure one day it'll go bad and another $20 SRAM will go on. Do I recommend the sram when friends ask which bb for their new expensive frame? Nope. Don't want to be that guy who preached up the bb only to have it make noise the first month.
    Hi westin,
    I only have experience with Hollowtech BB's, for which I use Phil Wood's grease to lubricate the inside of the BB housing prior to screwing the cups in. Is that what you mean by your use of the teflon paste? Let me know if I've misunderstood. What brand do you use? Thanks.