Huckin' trails

Can you belt drive this party bike ?

Hi guys, I'm in charge of building a new party bike this winter and using belt drive instead of the standard 32t crank to 22t freewheel with 1/8" chain setup is currently on the idea board.

I know a few restrictions about belt drive, mostly regarding the proper and constant tension and alignement required, the high cost of belts and the availability issue. What I would like to achieve by using belt drive is a cleaner drivetrain, quieter and more reliable (tourists really party hard on the bike and the whole drivetrain really takes a toll). I will be using 7/8 or 1" shafts for the new build, and pillow block type bearings, the sprocket/freewheel being right next to the bearing housing to give maximum lateral support.

I've included picture of the current bike to give an idea of the drivetrain design.

Can we make the new one using belt drive something plausible ? We will be building everything from ground up, so we are able to design proper frame stiffness and support, it's not about converting an existing party bike to belt drive.

Thanks !

Can you belt drive this party bike ?-12062350_10153582489682184_1179602304_o.jpgCan you belt drive this party bike ?-img_8707.jpgCan you belt drive this party bike ?-img_8713.jpgCan you belt drive this party bike ?-img_8709.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Loud hubs save lives!
    I'd go to #50 or #60 ANSI roller chain and get a full-coverage chain guard on it. Most of your components are already industrial so it would be just continuing that out to the pedal interface.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just spitballing, but I wonder about just using an automobile camshaft timing belt. Hit the junkyard and you could probably find some appropriately-sized sprockets as well as a tensioner for almost nothing. Timing belts can be had for as little as $10, and as long as you keep it away from grease it should last a lifetime (I mean, they're made to run for 100k miles or so).

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Just spitballing, but I wonder about just using an automobile camshaft timing belt. Hit the junkyard and you could probably find some appropriately-sized sprockets as well as a tensioner for almost nothing. Timing belts can be had for as little as $10, and as long as you keep it away from grease it should last a lifetime (I mean, they're made to run for 100k miles or so).
    We've consider using timing belt, but one concern with using a belt that has semi positive mechanical engagement on the gear is the belt slipping and wearing out fast when people stomp on the pedals at start or when the driver actuate the brakes. Beside that, I think it would be a viable option, however I think belt drive for bikes address the slipping issue already, so that's why I was looking into them. I know it's gonna be way more expensive than using regular chains and sprockets, the point is to see the different options and their cost and advantage.

Right now using a KMC 410H 1/2"x1/8" chain is stellar, with a standard freewheel and crank, but there's still the noise and the grease that we would like to take out of the equation. #40 chain is plenty strong to drive the power to the differential, but the new one will use a driveshaft out of a gearbox instead of this noisy and flexy setup :

Can you belt drive this party bike ?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1446839878.137960.jpg
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Loud hubs save lives!
    A piece of square steel tube and another pillow block next to that sprocket and you will have almost no flex.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by 43st View Post
    A piece of square steel tube and another pillow block next to that sprocket and you will have almost no flex.
    That's what I did, along with a tensioner. Didn't had a chance to take a picture of the final setup, but it doesn't flex or skip anymore now. However it's cumbersome and prone to failure with too many components that needs to be aligned and stay put.

The gear reduction of over 1:4 of the differential required us to upsize the main sprocket from 48t to 70t to get a decent top speed. I'll make sure the differential on the new bike will be of 1:3.57 or so, and use a gear multiplier gearbox to reach the proper drive speed on the driveshaft going to the differential.

Huckin' trails
    I took a look at Gates Carbon Drive website and noticed they sell a 22t freewheel for their belt drive, so that's interesting, but I haven't checked pricing yet.