Can I use a XTR 10spd front derailluer with 9 speed shifter?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Can I use a XTR 10spd front derailluer with 9 speed shifter?

Just bought a frame (Tracer2) that came with a new XTR 981 front derailleur (3x10). My shifters are SRAM X0 9-spd and cranks are XT 3x9. Will this work? I know you can't do it for the rear, but not sure about the front.

My rear is full X0 shift/derail so no issues there. The new frame is a direct mount so I cant use my current XT 9-spd front D anymore. I just can't see there being that much difference in a 3x9 vs 3x10 as far as the front derailluer is concerned.

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by trojans1993; 01-10-2012 at 12:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Guess I'll answer my own question: No, it will not work. It will shift between chainrings just fine, but you get slight chain rub in at least a few gears no matter how you adjust it. I'm guessing the cage is just slightly more narrow to fit the slighly more narrow 10spd chain. I'm pretty sure you run into similar (or bigger) issues if you use a 10spd chain with a 9spd RD.

Bummer, anyone need a nice, almost new FD (direct mount) cheap?

the catalan connection
    I have a 980 xtr front derailleur on my 3x9 drivetrain (xtr 9 shifters, 9 xtr rear der, 9sp xtr chain) The best shifting ever had in my life, really. The difference is that Im using 24/32/40 chainrings, so not your same situation at all. Just thought you might like to know anyway...
    I picked this option becouse with a regular 9 speed derailleur I had that the bottom of the cage would interfere with the middle ring. Since 10 sp derailleurs are designed around a smaller teeth difference it worked on my setup. So is very likely that your chain rub comes from the different diameter rings making the chain pass at diff heights through the derailleur cage, and not from the chain width as you mention.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can I use a XTR 10spd front derailluer with 9 speed shifter?-p1040216.jpg  

Can I use a XTR 10spd front derailluer with 9 speed shifter?-p1040215.jpg  

Can I use a XTR 10spd front derailluer with 9 speed shifter?-p1040214.jpg  

Last edited by What&son; 01-12-2012 at 06:00 AM.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If you're serious I'll take the FD. I would look at installing a 10speed chain to see how it works.

mtbr member
    Hey What&son, I like the international chainring setup - I think you're right though, the ring setup I have doesn't seem as flexible. Also, the fixed direct mount 981FD i have has very little room for adjustment other than the 1/2" or so of vertical. Im the type that any chain rub at all is distracting to me when riding so if it's not perfect I'm not going to be happy.

Oh well, just one of those fun things you run into when swapping frames, I can always just go with the XT771 which is a direct mount 3x9 FD and be fine, I'm bummed though because the XTR is a sexy lookin' FD.

- hey SCflyer, send me a PM if you're interested - I'll give it to you for half price of a new one - other than slight chain scraping inside the cage its perfect.

Members who have read this thread: 0