Can I ride out my BB until it seizes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Can I ride out my BB until it seizes

I think I might have to replace my BB soon. I have a 2009 specialized rock hopper that I purchased in October of 2008. Without the chain it makes swooshing noises and the sounds really get noticeable when I start to climb a steep hill with my gear ratio at 1 of 1.

I tried moving around the arm cranks but I didn't notice any play from the bb. The model of the BB is a Shimano BB-ES25 (Sealed), 118mm spindle. If I wait until it seizes then would that have any adverse effect on other components or parts of the bike (Ex. inside the bike frame where the bb resides, crank arms) ?.
    Last edited by uh yeah; 12-21-2012 at 09:44 PM.

mtbr member
    If the unit is mounted properly and the arms are torqued properly the only adverse reactions will be noise and bearing wear. It is unlikely that it will sieze through continued use, though it may become resistive as the grit level increases in turn leading to more clearance and eventually slop. If you are decided that it is gritty sounding and will need to be replaced eventually(but want to string it along) run a little chain oil in from each side. It will assist the remaining grease a little and help the grit to move out of the way. I've strung a few along that way...

Members who have read this thread: 0