mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Can I convert a triple 3X9 shimano crankset to a single to use in an XT M8000 1X11?

Is this possible?
    After wrecking my 9 speed derailleur, I would like to upgrade to Shimano's XT M8000 1X11. So far I've ordered an 11 speed cassette, and I'm accumulating the rest of the drivetrain. I'd like to save $$$ and reuse my M770 triple crank, and convert it to a single with a Race Face 34 tooth narrow wide. I'd pair this with a M8000 cassette, chain, derailleur and shifter. Would the crankset have a proper drive line angle?? Will I need spacers for the chainring?
    Thanks!
    First time posting here!

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Should work fine.

NedwannaB
    Converting a triple to 1x is easiest.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Easy. The middle ring position should like up for 1x chainline just fine, but in case it doesn't, all you need to do is remove the bottom bracket and move some spacers around. Easy to do if you have the bottom bracket tool. Otherwise, take those chainrings off and slap on a raceface narrow wide. You'll need to do one of 3 things when using only one chainring though; either get shorter chainring bolts, get chainring bolt spacers, or get a bashguard. The stock chainring bolts are too long if you're only using a single ring.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Easy. The middle ring position should like up for 1x chainline just fine, but in case it doesn't, all you need to do is remove the bottom bracket and move some spacers around. Easy to do if you have the bottom bracket tool. Otherwise, take those chainrings off and slap on a raceface narrow wide. You'll need to do one of 3 things when using only one chainring though; either get shorter chainring bolts, get chainring bolt spacers, or get a bashguard. The stock chainring bolts are too long if you're only using a single ring.
    #4-shorten up chain
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Trying to save weight, already got the Race face narrow wide. Do you know where to get chainring bolts to spec? No crazy about spacers.

mtbr member
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Turns out the large ring I had already had race face bolts, from when my bike was overhauled by a mechanic. Crankset is all done, waiting for the rest of the parts to arrive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Conversion worked great! Had to put the chainring on the inside of the spider arms with spacers for proper driveline angle. Awesome maiden voyage today.