www.EpicCyclist.com

Hope Bionicon chain guide

After using it for a while I've had some issues; really good idea but...here are two things that I did to improve it. More here

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    how much would one of those cost to make??

Bionicon Rider
    Apr 2005
    Nice Craftsmanship and a very solid alternative.

The only downside would be in a crash or in the unlikely event of something getting tangled up in there is that it won't break. the hanger is designed to act like a derailleur hanger and break a $4 part before destroying the $50 part.

Bionicon is working on a slightly stronger and nicer looking mount in the future, but with people running a third zip tie in the center and being sure they have enough chain, in a big compression and a bad gear combo the chain can over-tighten and rip the hanger from the chainstay. We have had a very few complaints ( i.e. 1 in maybe 250) since the mounting instructions update.
    ONE BIKE TO DO IT ALL

Be Well, Ride Hard

www.EpicCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by fergyrock View Post
    The only downside would be in a crash or in the unlikely event of something getting tangled up in there is that it won't break. the hanger is designed to act like a derailleur hanger and break a $4 part before destroying the $50 part.
    That's a good point, I may change it if a new plastic hinge is a bit beefier but for now the stock one is way to wimpy. As for cost I'm not sure, it took me about 1hour to make it and would probably change a few things on the next one...I wont be going in business any time soon, it's really just for fun.

mtbr member
    Heat shrink wrap idea is clever and easy - I will probably poach the idea and apply it to mine.

The custom hinge I will pass on lol

Question for ya - In your write up you state that you damaged the brand new guide during the test of metal........isnt it a bit risky putting a brand new part on a bike for a race seriously though, was the part you damaged during the test the original piece, or the modified one?

Bionicon Rider
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Heat shrink wrap idea is clever and easy - I will probably poach the idea and apply it to mine.
    The shrink wrap is not a bad idea, although its probably unnecessary . Only problem is that you would have to either cut it or break the chain when the tube starts wearing and you need to rotate it to prolong the life. If you remember to rotate it and flip it every once in a while you can get a ton of life. I have been running the same one for a year now and am just now considering putting a new one on.
    ONE BIKE TO DO IT ALL

Be Well, Ride Hard

www.EpicCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post

The custom hinge I will pass on lol

Question for ya - In your write up you state that you damaged the brand new guide during the test of metal........isnt it a bit risky putting a brand new part on a bike for a race seriously though, was the part you damaged during the test the original piece, or the modified one?
    I damaged the original part, it ripped off (had 3 zip ties btw). It's more for fun that I made that part, the next one I'm changing a few things... but already have a bunch of emails to buy one (I'm not selling them, if some one want to make a buisness of it, go ahead). As for the heat shrink it's really not that hard to remove and I have a quick link on my chain anyway... my guide, well after one ride is worn almost through... but to be fair, conditions where brutal and it's not the only part I trashed...

Members who have read this thread: 0