Bike Nashbar branded Shifters and derailleur- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bike Nashbar branded Shifters and derailleur

Anyone has any experience using them? I read some good reviews on their website about them and can use more feedback.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    They are made by a company called microSHIFT, they also make the forte line for Performance bike. The nashbar derailleur is the microshift RD-M55, and the shifters are the TS-70. I have some of their 10 speed shifters and the quality is pretty low. They were very heavy, the levers have a terrible feel and you cannot remove the gear displays (you can but there would be a massive hole revealing all the insides of the shifters.) But what bothers me most about them is that they are HUGE! The shifter pods are so big that they make proper brake lever placement difficult, so I am not using them. I do have one of the Forte branded rear derailleurs on my road bike. It did not shift very well when I got it because the upper guide pulley did not have any float (side to side motion) to aid shifting, Shimano calls this feature "centuron". Once I replaced the guide pulley with a Shimano pulley it worked great.

Based on my experience I would not purchase anything made by microshift again. You can get better stuff for the same price if you shop around.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Former Bike Wrench
    My experience is with the Nashbar road rear derailleur on a 9 speed Shimano road drivetrain. It has a nice finish with a quality look to it. It has shifted flawlessly since day one and I have no complaints.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i guess it depends on the price point you're trying to reach. I picked up a couple of sets of derailleurs and shifters (Forte branded black finished models the same as Nashbar's for about $27.00 a pop) from Performancebike.com and got 10% back on my purchase for every dollar I spent using my Team Performance membership. And that price was all total sales tax& 2nd day shipping included.
    I'm not going to sweat over a few extra grams here and there. Plus I like how they look.
    I got enough Sram and Shimano stuff already.
    Whatever floats your boat IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    I do have one of the Forte branded rear derailleurs on my road bike. It did not shift very well when I got it because the upper guide pulley did not have any float (side to side motion) to aid shifting, Shimano calls this feature "centuron". Once I replaced the guide pulley with a Shimano pulley it worked great.

Based on my experience I would not purchase anything made by microshift again. You can get better stuff for the same price if you shop around.
    microshift supplied their "arsis" rear derailleur to Team Cofidis (road) about 2 years ago, and they used it on their bikes for time trialing.

my carbon road bike has DA7800. ive also ridden ultegra 6600,6700, 105 5600, 5700, tiagra (9/4500 and new 10 speed/4600), sora, 2300/2200, r700, sram apex and rival.

i have a road bike running performance/microshift 10sp road rd, fd, and shifters. the front shifting has a longer throw, but is very precise and smooth, and the rear shifting while louder than shimano, is comparable to 105.

that being said, im very interested in finding reviews of the mtb 9 speed rd.

CS2
    mtbr member
    From what I'm reading here most who don't like it are being overly critical. There aren't too many reviews on their MTB groups out there. Roadbikereview Forums has some great reviews on their road groups.

Based on just a visual, ljsmith's criticism on the size of the shifter is right on. Microshift doesn't offer many choices in the MTB world as of now.

Here's what I could find:

MicroSHIFT Nine-speed Transmission Review - BikeRadar

Southerndownhill | MicroSHIFT mid-season review | Gears

MicroShift Marvo XE Derailleur and Shifter - Tested by mikelevy - Pinkbike.com

Good luck on your search.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Tried their MTN rear der on a commuter and was not impressed. It skipped gearing a lot (setup 1x9) mainly 2 and 8 where always in trouble had a couple different shops look at it to be sure and it still did the same thing. In the end the commuter is now a SS.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    you get what you pay for...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    Tried their MTN rear der on a commuter and was not impressed. It skipped gearing a lot (setup 1x9) mainly 2 and 8 where always in trouble had a couple different shops look at it to be sure and it still did the same thing. In the end the commuter is now a SS.
    I'm not an expert mechanic,but that sounds like a shifter problem rather than a derailleur.All the derailleur is doing is moving from point A to point B determined by and is limited by settings on both ends of it's travel,right?(from the small cog to the big cog). If the shifter is not moving the chain yhe correct disfance to move it from one cog to another,the derailleur will not respond correctly and the chain will not move correctly.Am I not understanding something? Please let me know. How could the skipping be caused by the derailleur?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    How could the skipping be caused by the derailleur?
    It can't. But then they couldn't bash Microshift if they found out it was their Shimano shifter.
    Last edited by CS2; 01-13-2012 at 08:12 AM.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

I've got the same problem

I have the same problem but I don't think it is the shifter at all.
    The reason being is I just changed my shifters over from an 8 speed shimano shifters to 9 speed microshift shifters. Before I changed over, my shifters would skip and also had the problem of not being able to decide what gear its going to be in (which could be something else). But just talking about skipping gears, it still does it and the shifters should be discounted when it comes to that because mine were changed and it still does it. I think not staying in the same gear could be from a bent derailleur hangar or derailleur, and the problem with skipping gears could be from.. well, I don't know that either. I just know I have the same problem even when I changed shifters.
    By the way, I like the microshift shifters much better. They have a loud confident click where you definitely know you changed gears, they really don't look any larger then other shifters and I don't think they feel cheap at all.