BB30 frame with Shimano BB90 XTR crank. HELP!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

BB30 frame with Shimano BB90 XTR crank. HELP!!!

It's the first time I'm buying a whole bike as separate parts on my own... and of course as a newbie I'm paying the bitter price .

I bought a Cannondale Flash Carbon frame with BB30 hole and and Shimano XTR crank Fc-m980 which later I found out it's BB90. ............... Again

So, what should I do now?

1) Install an adapter/converter (adding 50g) to use the XTR? (cheaper option)

2) Buy a Cannondale SL Hollowgram / Truvativ and sell the XTR? (expensive option)

3) ?

ps: I live in S. America, so I took months importing all parts... sadly it's not like go to the LBS and exchange cranks....

Plays with tools
    Nothing about that crank is BB90, that designation refers to the BB/frame interface. The cheapest option and the route I would go is to instal a BB30 adaptor into the frame. They come in two styles one that has threads so you can use a normal english threaded BB. And one that has bearings so you can press in a 24mm ID bearing for use with your Shimano cranks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Nothing about that crank is BB90, that designation refers to the BB/frame interface. The cheapest option and the route I would go is to instal a BB30 adaptor into the frame. They come in two styles one that has threads so you can use a normal english threaded BB. And one that has bearings so you can press in a 24mm ID bearing for use with your Shimano cranks.
    Thanks!

Performance wise, is there any disadvantage in use the adapter?

What do you say about this one:2012 Wheels Mfg BB30 Adapter for Shimano - Competitive Cyclist

Plays with tools
    That's a great solution provided the BB30 bearings are already pressed into your frame.

Disadvantages, probably not the Shimano cranks are top of the line in my book so you get a better crankset to work with your frame. You pick up some weight in the delrin adaptor but it's not going to be much. I doubt you pt out enough power to overwhelm the stiffness of a XTR crank either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That's great to hear. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can someone tell me the true diffentance between the BB30 Bottom Bracket and the BB90 bottom bracket.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by kbslow View Post
    Can someone tell me the true diffentance between the BB30 Bottom Bracket and the BB90 bottom bracket.
    BB30 uses a 30 mm crank spindle. BB 90 is actually a trek specific fitment. BB86 is the Shimano version. Either one of them are both intended to be used with 24mm crank spindles. Or 22/24 spindles in the case of Sram GXP fitments. All of these setups are designed to remove threaded BB shells in frames, which makes them easier to manufacture.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Or this...

Race Face 2012

Just install and slide your crank in.

Members who have read this thread: 0