mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Bait and switch 32T for 30T

I ordered a Hightower LT from Colorado Cyclist. The specs sheet say it comes with a 32T chainring, however there was a 30T on there. I get that some stuff changes, such as different saddle, grips, etc. However I feel this is a significant switch on me. Especially with a gx eagle grouppo on there. I mean Im not the strongest climber, but 30/50 is a ridiculously low gear. Obviously its not such a difference that I wouldnt have bought the bike if I knew it was a 30t. So should I complain an try to get my 32t, or just suck it up and grab it myself?

Bike in question
    https://www.coloradocyclist.com/sant...oss-slate-grey

I dont typically like complaining, unless its a major thing, or the company is asshole-ish anyway.

Cycologist
    Umm, just politely ask them about it rather than accusing them of bait and switch?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    ^^^ yes. Contact them and ask. Agree 32 or 34 would be more reasonable with a 50, and I'm old, fat and slow.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Not sure of the year of the one you linked to, but the current closest match I can find on the SC website specs a 30t. Certainly not ultra-rare for a retailer to get website listing details wrong.

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/hightower-lt

mtbr member
    FWIW, I took the 32 off my hightower and put a 30 on with GX Eagle. In socal, we have plenty of 10-12% climbs and the 30t was needed for me. I am not a weak rider by any means. I guess it's something that is definitely regional, but I don't have any top end issues with 30/10 so I wouldn't stress it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    FWIW, I took the 32 off my hightower and put a 30 on with GX Eagle. In socal, we have plenty of 10-12% climbs and the 30t was needed for me. I am not a weak rider by any means. I guess it's something that is definitely regional, but I don't have any top end issues with 30/10 so I wouldn't stress it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    Not sure of the year of the one you linked to, but the current closest match I can find on the SC website specs a 30t. Certainly not ultra-rare for a retailer to get website listing details wrong.

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/hightower-lt
    Guess Ill just suck it up and toss it up to shit that happens. Ill get it myself and swap it out depending on where Im at. Certainly might be back in socal soon, so well see

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Umm, just politely ask them about it rather than accusing them of bait and switch?
    Didnt mean to seriously accuse them of a bait and switch, just didnt know what to title it

mtbr member
    I bet you could have gotten the chainring you wanted with less effort than it took you to start this thread and respond to it. Unless you can't install a chainring yourself and would need to send the bike back?

I'm not sure I'll ever understand people that would rather b!tch to strangers than talk to someone that actually could resolve their issue. It's been a while since I bought anything from Colorado Cyclist, but every time I've dealt with them, they've done everything right.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Good gawd, I fVcking LOVE my 30/50 in the Tetons...
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    That's definitely a malicious attack on you, personally. You should definitely take it straight to court for a lengthy court battle. This injustice must not stand!!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    ^^^ yes. Contact them and ask. Agree 32 or 34 would be more reasonable with a 50, and I'm old, fat and slow.
    Hugely regional.

I roll a 28/46 right now and want a little bit lower gear for my lowest. Some long, steep grinds round my parts, with some punches MUCH steeper. Puking and seeing stars type climbs.

With 1x drivetrains, the days are over of stock chainrings being the right size for most people. IMO, if you buy a bike that's a 1x, you should also be budgeting for a new chainring because there's a good chance that the stock one won't be right. Gear it low for people with mountains, and it'll be too low for people shuttling or who live in flatter terrain. Gear it for the flatlanders and it'll be too big for most people who live in the mountains and who ride to the top.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdirk View Post
    I mean Im not the strongest climber, but 30/50 is a ridiculously low gear.
    Don't shift to the 50.....................

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Send them a thank you email for the 30T chainring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Hugely regional.
    I'd say hugely individual, I think you'll find the full gamut of gear ranges in every region.

op- If you change to a 32t there is a chance you'll need a new chain, it depends how they sized it.
    I brake for stinkbugs

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I'd say hugely individual, I think you'll find the full gamut of gear ranges in every region.
    it's both, really. But I do see notable trends depending on regionally-available terrain. The strongest will always run bigger gears.

mtbr member
    The strongest will always run bigger gears.

Not sure I agree with that either, lots of stronger guys than me run smaller gears than I do. I grind on steep climbs while they spin.

Of the several single speeders I know the one who runs the easiest gear is probably the fastest. I don't mean to argue but those have been my observations.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Elitest thrill junkie
    I tried a 30t on my XC 29er (42t rear gear), was too low. I'd never use the top-gears on the cassette. 32 is just right for me. The bike is so efficient it's hard to ever get into situation where you can't just stand and pedal out of a dig.

On my 27.5 Enduro bike, a 30t works better.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Hugely regional....
    I have a region that's getting huger, so maybe I should get some lower gearing.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Every Hightower and Hightower lt I have seen (including their website) come standard 30t

Rent this space for $
    Eagle is lame.

That said, buy a 30T Oval and sell the 30T round. Problem solved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Agreed with most on the 30t. I love mine. With eagle it's a rediculously large spread of like 18-90 something gear inches so you don't really run out of gears on both ends so who really cares which chainring is on.

SS Pusher Man
    My '18 Hightower came equipped with 30t ring....which i promptly removed and replaced with a 34t. Have done a few bigger and steeper climbs, and it is fine. I would have hated trying to pedal the 30t.

Sounds like a misprint.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    My MY 17 Hightower came with 1x11 and a 32T, which is also what is listed for my model year. I am about to switch to a 30t myself though. 32T is fine for fireroad climbs, but those punchy technical climbs her in Western Virginia I am wanting a lower gear.