mtbr member

availability of 9-speed parts

Anyone have a Shimano crystal ball? Is 9-speed technology going away? Will I be able to buy replacement derailleurs and shifters in five years?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I am sure NOS will be available from somewhere. Will they still make 9 speed stuff that is not bottom of the barrel stuff. Probably not. Depending on how much you are replacing you could always just upgrade to 10 speed which will be inexpensive because of the 11 speed stuff will be what people want.

Just my 2 cents.
    Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    Breezer Thunder One
    Motobecane Boris
    GT Tequesta
    GT La Bomba
    Raleigh Willard 3
    Raleigh Furley

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I would have a hard time running 10 or 11 speed on my touring bikes mostly due to the fact I can't get a chain at the local hardware store or Walmart.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Anyone have a Shimano crystal ball? Is 9-speed technology going away? Will I be able to buy replacement derailleurs and shifters in five years?
    It's already hard, choices are limited and 10-speed is cheaper.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    I would have a hard time running 10 or 11 speed on my touring bikes mostly due to the fact I can't get a chain at the local hardware store or Walmart.
    Seriously? Even our little one horse town out here in the middle of bf has a lbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You won't be able to buy "good" stuff. Look at 8 speed. No decent cassettes, low end derailleurs, low end shifters.
    Try looking for a 9 speed medium cage SLX rear derailleur from the mail order sites. Nothing. You can buy one from your LBS for double the price that a 10 speed one is going for.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Try looking for a 9 speed medium cage SLX rear derailleur from the mail order sites. Nothing. You can buy one from your LBS for double the price that a 10 speed one is going for.
    You should be able to find several online shops with the XT 9 speed RD-M772 & RD-M771

Shimano continued making the 9 speed XT after they stopped making the 9 speed SLX.

The XT 9 speed is still shown in Shimano's current product list, the SLX 9 speed hasn't been on that list for years.

http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/spe...r%20Derailleur

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Seriously? Even our little one horse town out here in the middle of bf has a lbs.
    Last tour I did was 900 miles with one shop on route, or rather within riding distance of the route.

There are VAST tracks, even in the US, where bike shops are essentially non-existent. But in my experience most Wal-Marts (which are within 50 miles of almost anywhere), and even some well stocked hardware stores, will have "geared" chains that can be made to work on 9 speed setups.

mtbr member
    There are VAST tracks, even in the US, where bike shops are essentially non-existent. But in my experience most Wal-Marts (which are within 50 miles of almost anywhere), and even some well stocked hardware stores, will have "geared" chains that can be made to work on 9 speed setups.
    I can relate, I live in one of those tracks. There are places in NM where you're 100 miles from pretty much any town. I guess I just can't imagine totally breaking a chain to the point where it couldn't be repaired with quick links, and if I were traveling in that remote of an area I suppose I'd just carry a spare.

To each his own though, it's all good!

mtbr member
    Last tour I did was 900 miles with one shop on route, or rather within riding distance of the route.

On such a short tour of 900 miles you are unlikely to need a new chain. The worst experience I had was 4 broken chains in one tour. That was the Tour Divide though, so about 1 chain break every 800-900 miles or 50k elevation. This was loaded to about 280lbs with bike.

I never needed a new chain. And to be honest, it was an older chain and drivetrain nearing the end of their life, which is probably why I had troubles (being too cheap= bad idea).

Buy a new chain before your tour, keep the extra links after you shorten it, buy a couple extra pins. and you should be good for the life of the chain. Modern chain should last you several thousand miles. And like the clutch in a car, if you shift nicely, it lasts much longer.

FWIW I have not noticed a durability issue moving from 9sp to 10spd chains (and it was the 9spd that broke 4x on the Tour Divide)
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Valid points. I might just be worried that I'll bust a shifter before I burn through all the cassettes I have laying around.

Also, I like how much more tolerant 9 speed is of misaligned parts and imperfect adjustment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quick questions without wanting to hijack the thread: has anybody tried 7/8-speed chains on a 10-speed drivetrain?

psycho cyclo addict
    Plenty of 9-speed stuff remains available. I still run it on all the geared bikes in my stable (wifey's too). Only thing I did was slap M985 XTR 10-speed derailleurs on a couple of them that have SRAM 9-speed shifters. Works like a champ and no more chain slap.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    As was mentioned, carry the extra links from your new chain with you and keep a couple of powerlinks along with your chain tool so you can roll until you get out of bumble funk territory. The other option should be to go SS with a reasonable gear until you get to civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by sternutative View Post
    Quick questions without wanting to hijack the thread: has anybody tried 7/8-speed chains on a 10-speed drivetrain?
    The more speeds the more narrow the chain, I think common sense would say that you would encounter some issues where the wider chain may take a grab at another cog.

I've not encountered much of an issue getting 9 speed parts. I once had a Dynasis XT FD sent to me after purchasing a Mega9, listed picture was a Mega9, and returned it right away. Now I'm debating dumping the FD anyway. Other than that no issues to report. There may be smaller NOS supply but less people will be interested as well. In addition there are still a bunch of 9spd riders out there who may "upgrade" and put low mile quality used parts on the market. One always has the option to stock up, but the availability hasn't been an issue so far for chains or cassettes.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    eBay, from now till the end of time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I think he means availability if one breaks while he's touring in the middle of nowhere in a town that might not have an LBS, but every town has a hardware store.