mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Automatic shifting???

I got into a debate with someone about manual and automatic shifting on a automobile. Later on that day I went to a local bike shop and ran into the same person and we laughed about and someone asked and we told them. They thought I was talking about on a bicycle. And he said there is such a creature. Which I am surprised by.

So my question is this. Is this automatic shifting for bikes and is it really worth it? I prefer manual because of increase control (coming from a automobile standpoint). But I would like to know if anyone has tried this and how good/bad is it?

since 4/10/2009
    there is such a monster for bicycles. It's infomercial special type stuff. As I understand it, it basically shifts when you reach a specific cadence. Fine for old people at the retirement community, I suppose (which are the folks targeted mostly by midday infomercials and also who tend to be featured in the ads)

mtbr member
    And here I was thinking he was meaning Di2...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard25 View Post
    And here I was thinking he was meaning Di2...
    Di2?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bfldworker View Post
    Di2?
    Not Di2.
    It's from the 90's. It was a purple rigid sold on TV. It had weights on the rear wheel that moved the deraileur via cables based on speed.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    The Land Rider was the most notable. I have ridden a few and they work ok for cursing, I can see why old people like them, but the system would not work for anything but casual riding.

Nuvinci also makes the Harmony system, which would be AMAZING for a comutter, and would blow the Land Rider off the market if only it had more range (and wasn't so heavy).

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    In something with a motor or engine you won't miss the small amount of power lost by an auto trans using it to shift gears. Extra weight won't be an issue either.

On something human powered I don't think I would want the parasitic loss and extra weight of an auto trans.