mtbr member
    May 2011

Anybody modded an XTR 10sp der to work with 10sp Gripshift?

I have a 10 speed Gripshift (bought online, supposedly OEM from a Specialized bike).
    When I click through from 1st to 10th it pulls approx 33mm of cable.
    My XT shifters pull approx 30mm of cable. (So the Gripshift = 10% more)
    If I could reduce the lever arm on my XTR derailleur by approx 10% where the cable acts on my derailleur, they should be compatible.
    Anybody done it?

I'm thinking of drilling a small hole through the lever arm for the cable to go through and then attach to the back of where it normally attaches by simply reversing the bolt that holds the cable (i.e. screwing the bolt in from the back).

(Or, if somebody wants to swap an XX derailleur for my XTR derailleur that would be a whole bunch easier!)
    Last edited by goog64; 11-13-2015 at 06:54 PM.

mtbr member
    I've successfully done this:
    Hacks: SRAM / Shimano Drivetrain Mix & Match Special Edition

Not sure if it works with 10 SPD.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    I've successfully done this:
    Hacks: SRAM / Shimano Drivetrain Mix & Match Special Edition

Not sure if it works with 10 SPD.
    I've done this one too
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    reducing the lever arm is the hard part.

Extending it just requires a 12mm x 12 mm x 6mm (thick) spacer
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks I've spent hours reading that thread and all the threads about 9 speed gripshift with a 10 speed derailleur. I'm pretty sure that link is for a 9 speed gripshift that has been converted to 10 speed with the changing over of an internal part isn't it?
    I want to know if anybody has got an actual 10 speed gripshift to work with an xtr 10 speed derailleur?
    Anyway, I'm going to try it, so maybe I'll be the first.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Not sure if what you are trying will work but when I was playing with the 10 speed derailleur X 9 speed shifter setup I found that moving the cable attachment point closer to the wheel reduced the derailleur travel. If your measurements are correct, try putting the cable on the wrong side of the anchor bolt. It might reduce the travel enough to make it close.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks Slash. I read your post too late, but I actually need to increase derailleur travel anyway.
    I've found something that seems to work.
    My 10 speed Gripshift shifts smoothly through all 10 gears (11-36) with an XTR derailleur:Anybody modded an XTR 10sp der to work with 10sp Gripshift?-xtr-mod.jpg

I'm not sure about the longevity of the cable like that. Any ideas?
    I also need to figure out how to get a permanent spacer attached. The one in the photo is just wedged between the cable and the derailleur, which was fine for testing, but won't last long on the trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You say a Shimano 10 speed shifter pulls 30 mm and the SRAM pulls 33 mm. So using the SRAM shifter on the Shimano derailleur is going to pull 3 mm more than the derailleur expects - or approx .3 mm too much per shift. You need to reduce the derailleur movement by that .3 mm.
    And from the picture you have done what I suggested - put the cable on the opposite side of the bolt from normal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If you're looking for a permanent version of what you did, go rummage though a derailleur parts bin. For a long time, the washers beneath the bolt were anti-turn with small widgets holding them in place, no too much unlike what you have there. I'm sure something will either fit, or be close enough to modify without paying someone to do it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    a solution exists.
    I use it on my bike for 2 years and I am very satisfied
    MOD II XT XTR + Sram Gripshift 10 Speed Deore SLX ab 2011, 119,90 &eu

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    You say a Shimano 10 speed shifter pulls 30 mm and the SRAM pulls 33 mm. So using the SRAM shifter on the Shimano derailleur is going to pull 3 mm more than the derailleur expects - or approx .3 mm too much per shift. You need to reduce the derailleur movement by that .3 mm.
    And from the picture you have done what I suggested - put the cable on the opposite side of the bolt from normal.
    Good point. I've made a mistake somewhere.
    When I tried it without the mod, the derailleur only made it to gear 9. The mod increased derailleur travel (because it's pulling a shorter lever arm) so that it now works.
    I will go and re-measure the cable pulls of each shifter.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    If you're looking for a permanent version of what you did, go rummage though a derailleur parts bin. For a long time, the washers beneath the bolt were anti-turn with small widgets holding them in place, no too much unlike what you have there. I'm sure something will either fit, or be close enough to modify without paying someone to do it.
    Very good thinking - would you believe that spacer in the photo is actually the broken off "widget" from one of those anti-turn washers you mention? I have another one and I tried drilling out the hole to make it fit, but it's not quite right.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolo-06 View Post
    a solution exists.
    I use it on my bike for 2 years and I am very satisfied
    MOD II XT XTR + Sram Gripshift 10 Speed Deore SLX ab 2011, 119,90 &eu
    Is that the one where you send in your Gripshift and they modify it? Or is that the price to buy the Gripshift?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    this is the price for the complete shift grip.
    I do not know if it is possible to send its own grip shift for internal modification.
    Perhaps You could contact them directly ?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I also just found this:
    Jtek ShiftMate | Jtek Engineering

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by goog64 View Post
    Good point. I've made a mistake somewhere.
    When I tried it without the mod, the derailleur only made it to gear 9. The mod increased derailleur travel (because it's pulling a shorter lever arm) so that it now works.
    I will go and re-measure the cable pulls of each shifter.
    I believe what you are thinking is incorrect - what you are doing is correct.
    From my notes when I was playing with the 10 speed/ 9 speed thing - the actual numbers won't apply to the 10 speed/10 speed setup.

Installing a SLX Shadow Plus rear derailleur with no modification moves .150 with each shift.
    After adding a 6mm spacer, the derailleur moves .160 with each shift. Adding more spacers didn't seem to make much difference.
    Moving the cable attachment more towards the wheel reduces the cable pull making it worse.
    I found that moving the cable attachment away from wheel provides more cable pull. I am still documenting but it appears that moving the cable attachment forward about 1/10th from the bolt head (not center line) and the 6mm shim provides the required .170 derailleur movement.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    I believe what you are thinking is incorrect - what you are doing is correct.
    From my notes when I was playing with the 10 speed/ 9 speed thing - the actual numbers won't apply to the 10 speed/10 speed setup.

Installing a SLX Shadow Plus rear derailleur with no modification moves .150 with each shift.
    After adding a 6mm spacer, the derailleur moves .160 with each shift. Adding more spacers didn't seem to make much difference.
    Moving the cable attachment more towards the wheel reduces the cable pull making it worse.
    I found that moving the cable attachment away from wheel provides more cable pull. I am still documenting but it appears that moving the cable attachment forward about 1/10th from the bolt head (not center line) and the 6mm shim provides the required .170 derailleur movement.
    I'm not sure what "towards the wheel" and "away from the wheel" mean? I do know if one shortens the lever arm by attaching the cable closer to the point about which the lever pivots, then the travel of the derailleur will increase for a given movement of the cable. This is true of any simple lever regardless of which sides of the fulcrum the applied force and the resistance are on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goog64 View Post
    I have a 10 speed Gripshift (bought online, supposedly OEM from a Specialized bike).
    When I click through from 1st to 10th it pulls approx 33mm of cable.
    My XT shifters pull approx 30mm of cable. (So the Gripshift = 10% more)
    If I could reduce the lever arm on my XTR derailleur by approx 10% where the cable acts on my derailleur, they should be compatible.
    Anybody done it?

I'm thinking of drilling a small hole through the lever arm for the cable to go through and then attach to the back of where it normally attaches by simply reversing the bolt that holds the cable (i.e. screwing the bolt in from the back).

(Or, if somebody wants to swap an XX derailleur for my XTR derailleur that would be a whole bunch easier!)
    What if you use an 11spd grip shifter? (obviously you can set the limit screws so the last click is not used, but the cable pull may work).
    Just a thought...
    I think I need to switch to a grip shift due to injured thumb, but have too many good 10spd cassettes/chains/RDs floating around to make a wholesale switch at the moment.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    What if you use an 11spd grip shifter? (obviously you can set the limit screws so the last click is not used, but the cable pull may work).
    Just a thought........
    Not a bad idea if the pull distance matched up, but.....I've sold my XTR derailleur and now have a Sram derailleur that works with the grip shift.