mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Any low profile shifter?

Hi guys!

Got a new bike, but have a problem now. The rear shifter touches top tube when the handle bar turns all the way. The front shifter does not because it has a smaller unit. So, I am worried about potential damages for both shifter and frame (carbon) in case of an unfortunate crash.

Does anyone knows a rear shifter with a smaller unit or lower profile? My current shifter is SLX.

Thanks!

MCMXCV
    Maybe gripshift? You would have to change your rear derailleur to match the gripshift shifter however.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Huh? You have a different shifter for the front than the rear? If they're both SLX, they're the same size.

CS2
    mtbr member
    R
    Quote Originally Posted by popotigre View Post
    Hi guys!

Got a new bike, but have a problem now. The rear shifter touches top tube when the handle bar turns all the way. The front shifter does not because it has a smaller unit. So, I am worried about potential damages for both shifter and frame (carbon) in case of an unfortunate crash.

Does anyone knows a rear shifter with a smaller unit or lower profile? My current shifter is SLX.

Thanks!
    How low are the handlebars that the shifters hit the TT?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thanks all for quick responses.
    D Bone: That's a for-sure solution, but I prefer trigger types...
    noapathy: Yes! I thought the same way, but if you look at closely, you'll figure out that the front shifter has a smaller unit.
    CS2: I put one spacer under the stem. Plus, I use a 1" riser bar. I think this is more of bike design problem. the top tube seems more parallel to the ground than other bikes.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by popotigre View Post
    Thanks all for quick responses.
    D Bone: That's a for-sure solution, but I prefer trigger types...
    noapathy: Yes! I thought the same way, but if you look at closely, you'll figure out that the front shifter has a smaller unit.
    CS2: I put one spacer under the stem. Plus, I use a 1" riser bar. I think this is more of bike design problem. the top tube seems more parallel to the ground than other bikes.
    No, it isn't a bike design problem. Probably the most common frame damage I see on road bikes from crashes is from where the handlebars swing around and hit the top tube.

On a mtb, you shouldn't have a problem under most situations, but it can happen depending on the fit/setup of the bike. Slammed, negative rise stem? You're gonna hit the bars on the top tube no matter what you do. I don't have a problem. I have about 20-30mm of spacers under the stem (I don't remember exactly), a stem with a little rise, and 20mm rise on my bars. They clear the top tube just fine. But if you have an aggressive xc racy setup, it very well may be a problem for you.

mtbr member
    There really isn't much you can do to keep the levers from hitting your TT. I'm in that situation. I'd have to raise my bar real high to get my levers to clear the frame. It would feel like a beach cruiser with my bar that high. I just wrapped my TT and hope for the best.

I have anothe bike that barely clears. I had no idea it didn't clear until I saw scratches on the TT . I added a 2mm spacer and it juuust clears.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    FSA makes a headset with a steering stop, the Headblock, but it may be hard to find.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Just checked my XT shifters on 2 different bikes. They'd both hit in exactly the same place if it weren't for the fact that the brake levers hit first. I still can't believe Shimano would make them different sizes. You sure the front isn't rotated slightly lower?

I'm in the same boat as RS VR6. Either I could put my brake levers and shifters level with the ground (and have constant wrist strain) or do the beach cruiser thing. Neither of those is gonna happen so guess I just have to not crash. Or something.

mtbr member
    As mentioned above, easiest solution is add a spacer under the stem. XS frame 29er setup? Do you have the stem angled down and zero rise bars?
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thanks a lot, everyone, for kind advice. The best option seems to put one more spacer under stem (although I really hate to do this because the handle bar is already high up) + loosening bolts of shifters and break levers. FSA headlock sounds super tempting, but I couldn't find a lot of information online.
    RSVR6: Thanks for the emoji
    no apathy: I checked again. SLX has a smaller 2-spd front shifter than 10-spd rear shifter. XT might be different.
    watts888: It is a trail bike with a large frame. zero deg stem, but with 1" riser handlebar.