mtbr member

Any chains out there more friendly for lengthening and shortening?

I have an SRAM PC1030. Once I pull a link out it is near impossible to get one back in properly. Its like the pins are flared out more than others. This impedes the pin from re-entering the link from the inside. The link almost always gets bent.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Do you actually need to make the chain longer? If not when shortening the chain you use the Powerlink to connect the chain. No need to insert the pin.
    Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    Breezer Thunder One
    Motobecane Boris
    GT Tequesta
    GT La Bomba
    Raleigh Willard 3
    Raleigh Furley

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by illMATTic View Post
    I have an SRAM PC1030. Once I pull a link out it is near impossible to get one back in properly. Its like the pins are flared out more than others. This impedes the pin from re-entering the link from the inside. The link almost always gets bent.

Thanks,
    The pins ARE flared, And should never be reinstalled once they are removed. The flare prevents the outer link plates from pulling off the pin. If that happens when you are putting down some power, like on a steep climb, you might experience a world of pain.

If you ever noticed a tiny ring of metal around the pin of your chain breaker tool, that is the flare of the pin you just pushed out. It actually gets ripped off the pin when it's removed.

since 4/10/2009
    You could do this:

The ShelBroCo Bicycle Chain Cleaning System

But yeah, once you remove a pin from a chain, it's done. There is no reusing it. SRAM chains use Powerlinks to replace the outer plates to splice inner links together if you need to splice chains. Shimano chains use special pins to splice chains back together, though you can use Powerlinks, too. Powerlinks are also single-use. They're not supposed to be removed and reassembled. Other companies make quick links that are made to be reused, like if you want to remove your chain for cleaning. I put a new one of these in each chain when I set the length initially. I carry a couple single-use Powerlinks in my repair kit to splice a broken chain back together if I break a chain on a ride.

mtbr member
    I changed cogs in the back (single speed) and needed more length. Looks like I'll have to pitch this chain then.

Thank you for the info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Not necessary, if the chain is newish (not much wear), you can add another chain to it via a powerlink.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by illMATTic View Post

Thanks,
    Stop doing this.

No, really.

Use the quick link that comes with every SRAM chain.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Kick Start My Heart
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    The pins ARE flared, And should never be reinstalled once they are removed. The flare prevents the outer link plates from pulling off the pin. If that happens when you are putting down some power, like on a steep climb, you might experience a world of pain.
    ...and it is quite hurtful. I recall exactly where I learned this painful lesson. You could redo a pin in an emergency, but don't trust it under power.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Some of the cheap 1/8 chains still have you re-use pins but otherwise it's either quick links or the special Shimano pins - which I never use.