Another BB sizing question- Mtbr.com
    TR
    Angry bunny

Another BB sizing question

Went and bought some gear for my NRS build the other. (come on Australia Post where is my bike??)
    My LBS (not a Giant dealer but a bl00dy good mechanic) was not sure what size BB I needed but said that most of the FS'ers that he had seen lately were a 73mm BB shell size.Was playing around on MTBR today (as you do). Did a search on NRS BB size and realized that it said that the correct size is 68mm. Rang the LBS and explained this to him but I think that he thought that I meant that I had bought a 68mm and needed a 73mm as he said that he had spacers that would fix the problem.
    My question is this. Is there a way to make a 73mm BB fit a 68mm shell or has my LBS misuderstood. If there is can someone please explain as I cannot see how it would work. I can see how a smaller BB could be made to fit into a larger shell but not the other way around.

Cheers
    TR

Derailleurless

2.5mm spacer...

He'll put a 2.5m spacer under the drive-side flange. Essentially, on both sides of the shell you'll have 2.5mm of threads that aren't engaged in the frame.

I'd really prefer to have the correct size in there. It's a high stress area of the bike, and the more engagement the better. Is mine a valid concern? Probably not. Many BB's are designed to be installed in exactly the same manner your mechanic is installing yours. Your call!