Thread: Advice, please

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Advice, please

I was given a mid-1980's Stumpjumper with Deore gear. Out back the Deore Deralleur must have worn out, and was replaced with an exage LX-400, but it, too is pretty sloppy. As well, the 6-speed cassette is more than tired, and the hub occasionally skips. I took it apart and cleaned it; its just worn out.

The bike has had several upgrades and is, uhm, "well-loved". Its also a small, just the size for my daughter in college, and that '80's paint scheme/with patina would look so cool compared to trek 830 I sent away with her/

I just rolled up a newer hub in the old rear rim (high-end late 90's Ritchey...still straight...yay!), so we can use anything from 7-10 speeds.
    Casettes are easy; 7 speed and 8 speeds lie on shelves gathering dust everywhere. Shifters? I have a selection of crappy low-end stuff, even a brand-new 7=speed twist that might be a good choice for a girl.

But I dont have a decent rear derailleur. Its for my kid, I'll fork out some money. Local bike shop has a Deore 590 gathering dust, will take $50...but its black and new-looking. Pretty sure it will work with 7- or 8- speed (says 9 on the box).

Any other ideas? We're going to visit her in 2 weeks; currently available product is best. I would probably pay up to $100 for der and shifter if I really liked it, but something that would work with the 7-speed twister would be cheaper.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You need to check some things. I would expect a 6 speed to have a freewheel and not a cassette - although it is possible.
    The rear triangle is probably 130 mm so a modern wheel may not fit. Could even be 126.
    Any Shimano rear derailleur less than 10 speed and not DuraAce will work with most any Shimano shifter.

mtbr member
    A new chain would probably help a lot with that skipping. Assuming the new hub you laced up fits, I'd go with 8-speed. super cheap, parts are available anywhere, and durable. 8-speed shifters are only $10 brand new, so choosing a grip shifter or trigger shifter would be your (or your daughter's) preference. I'd get new grips regardless of which shifter I used, so a new grip shifter wouldn't seem out of place. If you wanted to use your 7-speed shifter you have now with an 8-speed cassette, not a problem either. It'll work with an 8-speed cassette, you just have to decide which gear you want to prevent the chain from going into, smallest one or largest one. You could also grab an actuall 7-speed cassette. I'm not sure if your replacement wheel's hub is a 8/9/10-speed hub or a 7-speed hub, if the 7-speed cassette comes with a spacer, or if you can grab a spacer from your old 6-speed cassette. Either way, you can make it work pretty cheap.

Is the derailure not keeping the chain where it's supposed to be? Cheap acera and alivio 8-speed derailures are only $20 brand new.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Its a 6-speed freehub/cassette held on by the threaded smallest cog. The cogs separate easily, and like some old freewheels, the teeth are twisted a little to help shifting. I'm told this was common until like 1987 or so. The freehub is just plain worn out, and I cant seem to find a replacement (or a new cassette)

I've already respaced the frame to 135mm, No serious problems and the Cromoly resisted only a little more than Hi-Ten...

I hadnt considered the Alivio-level shifter/der combo; I guess I forgot. I dont think I would trust an Acera or Altus-level shifter and she's not mechanical enough to keep a cheap derailluer in adjustment. I'll check out the Alivio.

Thank you, Watts.

mtbr member
    Look for one on eBay. Shouldn't have to pay more than 10 for a used one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm old; I still kind of adhere to the brick-and-mortar mindset

Perhaps its time to join the 21st century.

Thanks for the Jenson links, but if I were to go 10-speed in back, would I need to switch out chainring(s?) and maybe respace with a new BB? Or find a 1x or 2x crankset? Plus, would fitting modern "transformers-looking" gear on a survivor designed to look the part (and not attract attention of thieves?) defeat the purpose?

I'm going to waste 1/2 hr checking online, I guess.

Thanks everyone for your attention!