GodSE Gozilla
    Jul 2013

Abnormal Chain Wear in 500 miles

I did cut my chain 500 miles back with largest chain ring and cog method. I used park tool cc3 for chain and cassette wear. As by it 0.75 in chain and 1.08 for cassette which means they worn out. And used a ruler to ensure it worn or not and it reads 1/18" https://images.spadepot.com/images/f...pe-measure.jpg is this abnormal or its the way it supposed to be? Btw, its a KMC 8S not a junk.

GodSE Gozilla
    Jul 2013
    I did cut my chain 500 miles back with largest chain ring and cog method. I used park tool cc3 for chain and cassette wear. As by it 0.75 in chain and 1.08 for cassette which means they worn out.
    And used a ruler to ensure it worn or not
    Its reads 1/18"
    https://images.spadepot.com/images/f...pe-measure.jpg

is this abnormal or its the way it supposed to be? Btw, its a KMC 8S not a junk

Remember I did changed the chain, cassette and chain rings just 500 miles back.
    And here is how as it in park tool
    Pull the chain tight, and note the closest rivet where the two could be joined. Keep in mind a chain can only be joined by mating inner and outer plates.
    From the closet rivet, lengthen the chain by counting over an additional two rivets (two links), which is a distance of one-inch. Cut the chain at this point.

Mine ended up being half link so instead of adding up link I think I made a mistake pulling it so tight to extent I believe. Would this be reason for this abnormal wear?

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Can you share a picture of your derailleur while you are on big-big?

Do you lube every ride or at least every other ride?

GodSE Gozilla
    Jul 2013
    Will share that soon. I do every 100 miles

mtbr member
    500 miles is about when I change my chains, that's pretty normal wear IME.

GodSE Gozilla
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    But isn't supposed to last 1000 to 1500 miles easily, right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhbalaji View Post
    But isn't supposed to last 1000 to 1500 miles easily, right?
    I haven't found that to be true. There was a pretty good test awhile back and I think a Shimano chain won with close to 1000 miles, and most of the others were spent @ around 500-700 miles. That pretty much seems to coincide with my experience in the shop as well as my own.

Riding style can influence chain wear also, a masher riding in steep terrain will wear out a chain faster than a spinner on flat ground.

mtbr member
    One thing is for sure: your chain length did not cause any damage. A chain a bit too short from the avised method would only become tight as a guitar string if you run big-big and compress the suspension. Even then something else would break, not the chain.

I don't trust the Park chain gauge or other similar ones. Too many moving parts between the measuring points, and some of them don't add to chain stretch. It is possible for the gauge to indicate chain stretch when the chain is still good. I measure the center-center distance between a bunch of pins, say 15, to see if the chain is worn.

500 miles sounds a bit less than normal to me, but it really depends on conditions, gearing and maintenance.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    You should lube way more often than 100 miles as well. In dusty or wet conditions, lube every ride.

If you're buying nice cassettes, get 3 or 4 chains and rotate them, take them all to .6, then .7, etc. all the way till they're toast. Then cassette wears at same rate as chains and lasts longer. And you save cost because you get to use chains in the .8 /.9 range when you would have normally thrown them out.

I have a cassette and 3 chains with 1200 miles on it, they are all at .7 ish now.

mtbr member
    Nah, minimum I get is about 700-800 miles, but I also watch my gear combos and make sure I don't cross chain, guess using an SS/Trials and 150 rear help to make this really a non issue for me, but something with 135/142 rears should remember.

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhbalaji View Post
    Will share that soon. I do every 100 miles
    If I lubed my chain every 100 miles it'd be squeaking like a mofo and that's before I even got to 30-40 miles of trail. If this is honestly the case with most likely some Big/Big cross chaining, that would explain the chain wear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    You should lube way more often than 100 miles as well. In dusty or wet conditions, lube every ride.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??