950 xtr versus 770 xt- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

950 xtr versus 770 xt

Howdy, need to buy a new crankset because I am building a new (around town) 29er. However I have a bike I race that has 950XTR stuff. I am thinking about purchasing XT (9s peed 770 cranks.

Question, are the 770s better, stronger, lighter than the 950s?
    Note that the 950 has original XTR chain rings. Worn, but not ready for replacement.

In other words which to put on the race bike. (Bottom bracket for both cranksets are new)

Thanks!

John V
    Mia FL

Former Bike Wrench
    The biggest advantage to the XT M770 crankset will be future ring replacements as it uses the standard 64/104 4 bolt pattern vs the proprietary pattern on the XTR (unless you got the 5 bolt spider).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thxs...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The 950 XTR was one of my favorite groups (In fact my personal belief is that XTR went downhill after the 950 group was replaced). But with respect to the 950 crank, (as is mentioned above) you can opt for a 5 ring spider to accept many different rings.

The only problem is the bottom bracket. The 950 bottom bracket was one of the best. It had long needle bearings; and the things would last forever. I had one on a well used bike for a couple of years at least. However, the 950 bottom brackets are nearly extinct. The last time I looked I couldn't find one anywhere. The 952 bottom brackets should still be available and work with 950 cranks, but they never lasted that long (a totally different design than the 950).

I have been using the 770 Xt for about 6 months in really crappy weather, and it seems to work well and you can buy parts easily.

Oh and if you have a 950 bottom bracket you decide not to use, let me know.

psycho cyclo addict

2x9 ring recommendations for 950 XTR

I've been contemplating a switch from 175mm to 180mm cranks (6'2" w/ 32" inseam) and recently acquired some older XTR hardware (both 950 and 952 with 104 4bolt and 110 5 bolt spiders). Now I am rethinking a 3x9 setup all together and leaning toward a 2x9 w/ bash ring instead for my DS bike.

On my current 3x9 setup (44 33 22 w/ XTR 12-34t cassette), I do not use the big ring and generally stay in the middle ring unless there's some serious climbing required. I primarily ride in DC/MD/VA area (two day per week warrior- not racing but maybe one day) which has some of everything. I don't mind sit and spin on hill climbs, though I'm more comfortable spinning at lower RPMs and pushing harder on the pedals as compared to others.

Looking for suggestions on 2x9 chain ring combinations for either a 12-34t (preferable) or 12-36t (a bit heavier) cassette. I'm trying to come up with a solution that I can zip across more mundane sections w/o stroking out from high RPMs and still gives me enough for big climbs. Anyone have suggestions for readily available rings (4 or 5 bolt) that would fit the bill and hopefully not require dremel grinding mods?

Members who have read this thread: 0